" At this point I'll be happy just to catch the bottom! "

Smile

Posted Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:51 pm

thelucky

mikem

Parts of the Charles are starting to open up in the Dedham area.

Really? I was ice fishing on the Charles around there last week. 5" of ice. Some stretches of open water but not enough to make an effort to try and fish it.

How about the Mystic River. I drove by two weeks ago and it looked open?

The Mystic was open in spots, up to the lower lake. Parts of the lower lake on the edges were melting and the upper lake was starting to recede a little in places. Mouth of the Aberjona River going into the Upper Lakes is opening up too. Getting there boys & girls!

Posted Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:21 pm

The sun is doing it's thing this time of year! Some milder temps coming midweek. If the sun stays out there should be quite a bit of fishable water next weknd! I hope! Laughing

Posted Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:35 pm

Anyone from the cape have any reports of open water?

Posted Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:40 pm

billington is 95% open,ice house cove has ice.fresh pond was 80% open yesterday.fished mill pond saturday without a biteand tried billington sunday with the same result.I would think most of the cape ponds will be open too.

Posted Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:24 am

khaskins

billington is 95% open,ice house cove has ice.fresh pond was 80% open yesterday.fished mill pond saturday without a biteand tried billington sunday with the same result.I would think most of the cape ponds will be open too.

I was vacationing down in Falmouth this weekend and every pond and lake I drove by was wide open. No ice. What were you using for lures ?[/quote]

Posted Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:48 am

are you always on vacation? haha

Posted Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:39 am

waquaquet i open!
i tried a small pond that was 80% open not even a nibble

whats a good bait for this time of year?? i was throwing jerkbaits and jigs

Posted Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:44 am

what was the water temp? high 30s?

i have a jerkbait, rattletrap and jig tied up ready to go.

Posted Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:50 am

After seeing some open water on the web cams, I walked the Boston side of the Charles River Basin last week. Still frozen solid.

The Cambridge side appears to have a lot of open water now:

http://sailing.mit.edu/webcam.php

And the section from the Longfellow to the Museum of Science looks open on both sides:

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/massachusetts/boston/?cam=boston_hd

Hoping the Boston side west of the Longfellow clears up over the next week for some lunchtime jerkbaitin.

Posted Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:36 am

samf

what was the water temp? high 30s?

i have a jerkbait, rattletrap and jig tied up ready to go.

Those are good choices. You can also add a spinnerbait and/or chatterbait too! Shallow cranks will produce in shallow water also.

Posted Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:37 pm

really! cuz my jigs and jerkbaits havent caught me anything in the little open water ive been finding!!

how fast are you fishing the spinnersbait crankbaits and chatterbaits??
slow rolling spinnerbiats and draggin the chatter baits???

Posted Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:39 pm

I guess it varies from place to place. Last winter right after ice out i caught a decent amount of bass on lipless cranks and chatterbaits being fished right below the surface? While jerkbaits and jigs weren't doin nothin. Go to another place and had to deadstick soft plastics for years to get a bite.. With the rare occasional bite of the fall with plastics or jig.

Posted Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:50 pm

What about mepps#3 and silverbuddies?

Posted Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:06 pm

any word on cape ponds being open? peters pond in particular.

Posted Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:56 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links