It's been interesting to me that throughout my 4 years on MAFF, I've seen some of the most avid and successful open water anglers get frustrated when the ice arrives. I can understand to a degree but I also feel that living in MA gives us the opportunity to fish in all conditions and during all seasons....what are your thoughts?

Posted Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:44 pm

FAVORITE time of the year!! We need an Emoticons with an Ice Auger. A little dude drilling holes. hahahah that be great "HomeLand Shore Security" is what we've been called, us guy's with no boats. You can get right on top of your spot. You can target so many different Fish at one time, or just focus on one, with more lines than you can handle some days. It is cold and dark and early, sounds like fishing to me...

Posted Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:23 pm

Fishing is my medication!

Cant stop!

Posted Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:38 pm

Not my favorite activity! Sometimes I feel pretty foolish standing around a hole in the ice when it's 10 deg. out! Laughing But it does kill a couple of hours during a boring winter day. Just dropped a couple sets of blades off at Belsans to be sharpened. (really hope I don't have to use them!)

Posted Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:23 pm

i like the fishing part of fishing - the casting, technique etc. vs. flags. i guess i'd drill a bunch of holes and vertically jig if i went ice fishing to keep myself entertained.

Posted Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:37 pm

to me, it is boring. winter is the time to take a break taking care the house stuff, spend time with the family. I wasn't at home most of the weekend in open season.

Posted Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:17 pm

Like Sam said, I like the challenge of dissecting a lake or a given piece of cover or structure. Standing over a hole freezing my ass off just jigging away or standing there waiting for a flag to go off off is my idea of NOTHING. I always found it funny that the very same fish that piss us off when caught on open water ( perch, pickeral) make us happy when ice fishing.
I will keep traveling south to the cape as long as possible. I am usually done in Jan. and back out on open water in March
In those 2 months I clean and tune my rods and reels, re organize tackle, make a list of what I need to order. Before I know it there are reports of open water coming in. :

Last edited by stratos1966 on Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:43 am

samf

i like the fishing part of fishing - the casting, technique etc. vs. flags. i guess i'd drill a bunch of holes and vertically jig if i went ice fishing to keep myself entertained.

I agree with Sam, plus my biggest reason is I don't drink enough Razz

Posted Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:10 am

I don't ice fish because mainly I absolutely cannot stand at all to be cold. I hate almost everything there is about the cold and the Winter, except for football and hockey (watching from the warmth of my couch)! The one thing I do like is the gathering of equipment and the anticipation of the Spring fishing that is coming up soon afterwards! I agree with Rich too about catching pickerel and pan fish and being happy about it, when the rest of the time we cannot stand catching them! Just doesn't make sense to me, but that's just my opinion. God bless you guys who do it, it's just not for me!

Posted Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:44 am

I don't like the cold. I also use that time to clean and organize. The only thing I like about the winter is working at the Gahden.

Posted Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:16 pm

stratos1966

I always found it funny that the very same fish that piss us off when caught on open water ( perch, pickeral) make us happy when ice fishing.
. :

I hate pickerel any time of the year! Laughing

Posted Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:17 pm

Perch bass and pickerel on an ultra light on 2-4lbs test is fun!

I get gators slabs jumbos and hawgs through the ice!

Posted Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:33 pm

i still might give it a shot this year.

Posted Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:10 pm

Well, I love to ice fish. It is a total 180 degrees from open water. I own a Artic Armor Suit which keeps me more than warm no matter what. I challenge any of you openwater jocks to give it a serious try this season. Forget how cold it is, build a fire, bring a charcoal grill, some friends and have some fun!. If you can get some buds to go along, it's a blast. Forget your open water skills, try the hard water. I think sometimes it is way more challenging. I have caught many personal bests on the ice like Salmon, crapie, white perch and a 5 lb pickerel. I will try to post some pics. I for one am getting my bob house ready...........

Posted Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:07 pm

Though I miss it. It gives me something to look forward to during the winter. I plan my fishing trips, buy as much tackle as much budget will allow. I'll be back on the water in April. Planning 3 trips to Maine. Plan on doing a couple of car toppers and see how the big dawgs do it!

Posted Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:03 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links