*I started fishing very early...my ol' man would have my brothers and I laskeside at dawn work-week and canal-side most every weekend--never fished a 'tourney' in my life--THAT WILL NOT DETER ME IN THE FUTURE

*Back to the ol' man here...he told me "The River Rats" were the guys he respected most in "The Nam`"...coming from a 'Pathfinder' & later on, a 'Tunnel Rat'...that's sayin' something

*I Don't own a boat But,I found out recently I may be a "BOAT W***E" hahahahaaa

*Does seein' you guys off for a couple of launches equal=wins? I guess not...

*I walked out of "First Encounter beach" of Eastham back in the 90's...I walked out about a mile or so into the bay...around 20 minutes or so into my "walk" I realized"HOLY s***" the tide came in around me !...I was a state track athlete so I started running my ass off...soon I was swimming for my life ! When I arrived back to terra firma my best friend picks me up exhausted from the ground and his words still stick with me to this day..."That'll learn ya won't it " yea...it's a CRUEL WORLD ! hahahahahahahahahe I lived and thats ALL THAT COUNTS

*My IDEAL conditions are pre-dawn,warm,slight mist/light rain

*The Penn Slammer w/ a sentator Reel !...now inland I just bought my first baitcaster this year...I LOVE THE DAMN THING NOW !

*47.5" Stripa 'round 40lbs...But...I was "low man on the deck" so I brought home the 37.5 23.5lber---yea...gentleman's rules---eric's uncles take home the best s*** BUT WE ALL KNOW WHO LANDED THAT TROPHY FISH Dickie !

*The GRAND BANKS ! no brainer ! my family came from France to New Brunswick pre-WWII

* I initially started back at it this year because my father got very sick and we knew this was PROBABLY 'the year' and I wanted to re-connect with that part of him before he passed...'turns out he was just bringing me back to what I spent my whole life trying to get away from...in short ..I wouldn't have it any other way

Posted Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:19 am

*How long have you been fishing/competitively?
I have fished 2 tournaments this year with MAFF, but I grew up fishing with Dad and friends. We used to do a point system to see who won at the end of the day: 1 point each for first fish, most fish, biggest fish, variety of fish.

*What is the origin story of your team-name?

Don't have a team, but my user name is the brand of one of the first BMX bikes I had and the type of metal used to make the frame: 4130 chromoly baby

*What kinda rig do you run?

*How many times have you won on Sundays since joining The MAFF Tournament circuit?

I got completely skunked once and finished in the middle of the pack once
*What was your most INTENSE moment while fishing?
These mostly involve carp fishing and beer. Once we set up, cracked a case, started a fire near a log that turned out to be hollow. About an hour later flames started shooting out the opposite end of the log about 8' away. I also ended up losing a rod that day because I didn't have it secured on shore and a fish took off with before I could grab it.

*What do you personally consider "IDEAL-CONDITIONZ"?

September/October in the rain, throwing spinnerbaits or jigs

*What is your ALL TIME FAVORITE pole & set-up?
Don't think I've found it yet...

*What was the largest thing you ever took from the water(species/length&weight)?

Fresh: 5 lb largemouth,
Salt: 4' sharks in South Carolina
*If you could fish anywhere on Earth where would it be & Why?
Northern Canada for big pike and lake trout. I'd love to pull a 45" northern through a hole in the ice.

*What inspires you to fish...Why do you fish?

I'd rather be outside than inside 90% of the time and its relaxing to be out on the water, especially on a little pond in the middle of nowhere and no one around .

Posted Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:41 am

*How long have you been fishing/competitively?...
I've been fishing since I was a kid with my grandfather, sort of fell out of it through the college years but returned with vengence about 7-8 years ago when I inherited his old 10' jon boat.
Dabbled in competive fishing for about 2-3 years, mainly solo, did place in several BBC tourneys and locals over the years. This was the first year fishing with my cousin Dan (bangbang) and on the MAFF circuit, also are first year as consistent partners over the course of a season, all these years fishing and we never thought to partner up!!

*What is the origin story of your team-name?...
You'll have to have Dan answer this one, I loved Beaver Fever as soon as he suggested it, he gets all the credit, and his wife is the artistic master behind the logo!
FallenTimber, my handle, is also the name of my boat, (aptly and unfortunately) named because I got the boat when an arborist I had hired to drop a tree in my yard; dropped it straight onto the 10' jon boat i had inherited from my grandfather. Although completely crushed, the boat and me, the insurance check for a new boat help me feel significantly better lol Very Happy and hence FallenTimber was born!!

*What kinda rig do you run?...
All Boats: Dan's Nitro DC 482 with a Mercury 150 (All I can say is I got lucky my cousin married a guy who as obssessed with fishing as me!!)
Cartoppers: My 1436 Tracker Jon (Decked Out) with a 50# Minnkota Bow Mount and a 40#Minnkota Transom Mount

*How many times have you won on Sundays since joining The MAFF Tournament circuit?...
1- 1st at Upper Mystic
2-2nd's one at Boone and one at the Webster Finals (Again thank you Dan!!)
1- 4th with SmokeCity
More 7th and 8ths than I can count, seems like we where all over the place now that I looked at it!! There's always next year!

*What was your most INTENSE moment while fishing?...
Catching my personal best pike solo, and then being lucky enough to have someone randomly come by the ramp in time to photo me with it before i released it.

*What do you personally consider "IDEAL-CONDITIONZ"?...
Early spring and late fall, brutally cold and raining, kinda stuff makes you wonder what in god's green earth your doing out there!! And then that early spring/late fall pig latches on, and no matter the conditions you can't help but smile....

*What is your ALL TIME FAVORITE pole & set-up?...
Unfortunately I don't really have a answer for this; I really love all my equipment. In an effort to further my fishing I have been investing in technique specific equipment for some time. As most of the guys out there would probably agree, I personaly love a certain rod and reel with a certain setup for each technique I may use, and as the season changes so do my techniques/setups.
If I have to answer than I would say the 8'6" fly rod I made when I was 14 in a fishing class. Although I dont fly fish a whole lot anymore it always meant alot to me, has caught a fair share of fish, and because I made it I still have it!

*What was the largest thing you ever took from the water(species/length&weight)?...

Largemouth Bass: 7lbs 12oz Buffumville Dam
Smallmouth Bass: 3lbs 7oz Sugden
Northern Pike: 17lbs 8oz Quabog Pond

*If you could fish anywhere on Earth where would it be & Why?...
Somewhere in South America, after seeing all the insane species of fish and the size that they grow too, and watching all those river monster episodes (You Know you all do!), sign me up!!!

*What inspires you to fish...Why do you fish?. . .
I love the challenge of it, trying to figure out the pattern, hoping to beat your personal best, the unknown of the hookset, feeling the weight of the fish on the line, seeing all the beautiful things that nature has to offer.... fishing has always provided me with a place and a thing that just makes me happy, no matter the conditions or wether or not I catch anything, I'm happiest on the water. I've also found that over the years fishing has the power to bring all generations and many good people together, fishing with my grandfather, my dad and now my daughter, and ultimately all of you, has resulted in some of the finest memories that help make a lifetime what it is!!

Posted Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:37 pm

just saw this thread and thought it was pretty cool.

Used to fish for everything when I was younger then completely forgot about fishing for over 10 years. 2011 was my second year. Joined a bass club 2 years ago, didn't know ANYTHING, and then started fishing the MAFF tournaments and had some success once I learned something other than the Senko.

Kept it simple. I'm not creative...it was the former name of our bass club

Big Boat: Mike K's 17' aluminum Tracker
Cartoppers: Basshunter with a 40 lb. Minn Kota and Humminbird 778c HD (overkill I know!)

*How many times have you won on Sundays since joining The MAFF Tournament circuit?...

0 wins although in last year's grand finale we had largest bag and lunker. Several 2nd and 3rd place finishes. We try to be consistent and started at the very end of last year.

Hard to say. Catching two 5 pounders in a day...mid summer too. One was drop shotting heavy cover and was just under 6 lbs., the other was 5 even tea bagging the frog. It was over a tree branch so far back under branches and leaves, it was nuts. The thing was hanging there for 3 min. as I couldn't get the boat back there. I thought it was going to die. My buddy had to paddle us in and hack branches away. Ants, spiders, and other bugs were dropping all over us and I hate spiders. Finally pulled it out with a net after cutting the braid and frog off.

I actually like the summer when it's insanely hot, sunny, and 0 wind.

I don't have one and I'm like the other guys...I have a specific setup for specific techniques. I love Powell rods and Abu Garcia and Shimano reels though.

*What was the largest thing you ever took from the water(species/length&weight)?...

Largemouth Bass: 6.35 lbs.
Smallmouth Bass: 3.5 lbs.

Keeping it simple for now...anywhere with a great chance to catch a 10+ lb. LMB.

I enjoy being outside, the challenge of putting the puzzle together and figuring out a pattern, the challenge, and the friendly competition through MAFF and my bass club. I met some great people through fishing and a lot of guys willing to share their "secrets" and techniques. You can always learn something new from someone else.

Posted Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:27 am

OK...so I haven't fished any tournaments yet...but I like this thread and wanted to keep it going.
*How long have you been fishing/competitively?...I have been fishing since I was a kid but never competitively. Maybe next year...

*What kinda rig do you run?... I have a 16' Princecraft utility with a 25hp tiler.
*How many times have you won on Sundays since joining The MAFF Tournament circuit?...my real name is Sinista so quite often. OK...never.
*What was your most INTENSE moment while fishing?...The first tarpon I ever landed. I was in the Keys fishing with my Dad and a guide. The guide's outfit had an 80 lb. shock tippet, but 20 lb. on the spool. That thing beat me up for nearly 2 hours.
*What do you personally consider "IDEAL-CONDITIONZ"?... For trout and salmon ...overcast or rain. I love to flyfish in the Rangeley lakes region. Here, I love first light and overcast/light rain.
*What is your ALL TIME FAVORITE pole & set-up?...Man it depends on what I am fishing for. Like most, I have different set up for different fishing. My current go to's are a medium and a medium heavy Mojo rods...heavy has a citica on it and the medium has a curado. I just picked up an 8 wt. fly rod for Concord River pike!
*What was the largest thing you ever took from the water(species/length&weight)?...Salt water, 165 lb. tarpon (not weighed but guide estimated)
*If you could fish anywhere on Earth where would it be & Why?...Anywhere with my Dad.
*What inspires you to fish...Why do you fish?. . .I love the challenge and it is also a great way to enjoy the outdoors. I have met some of my best friends on the water.

Posted Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:57 pm

This thing was more successful than I could have ever imagined.I'd like to thank everyone who've put thier time and effort and "inner most fishing thoughts"This has been informative and HIGHLY ENTERTAINING for all involved I'm sure...just a few things are BUGGIN on me here...a few of you have ELUDED me ...hahaha I was hoping to get some of the "BiggerBass" in my boat here and kenny...and richie ...and a few of the other teams I KNOW finished top 10-20 haven't "fessed up"...and as I believe I HAVE stated "you" don't hafta enter to win" ...I INVITE ALL MASS.ANGLERZzz to fill out these "10" and look forward to developing this format into MAFFMAGAZINE®™
(...for those of you who'd like to know how I "tm" things into my msgs..hit me up"pm"...I'll let you in on my secret)...and If there any "Q" suggestions pass them along to me(as stated previously) I would like to re-vamp this in the spring of 2012 w/ "20 questionz w/ The River Rat" and may use "your" question(s) in my next ARTICLE'....the new article will inculde our first 10 and 10 more "relatives" by opening day 2012.any and all suggestions will be considered so you amateur reporters out there this is your time to shine...and you jokesters I'M sure will chime in more than a few ...k-man ...you n ya cousin haven't "appeased wista dave yet" WHAT GIVES ---your stories KILL...C'MOOOON GUYZ! ! !yea I called a bunch of ya out...'cause you'll make for GREAT MEDIA in here and PESONALITIES help push the tourneys NATION WIDE...THINK BIG ! it won't hurt ya ........I promise hahahahahahaha
Once again---thank you to all so far and all who will...FISH ON

Posted Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:29 am

what else ya got? keep the questions coming it's a great thread. love hearing about different styles, backgrounds, and techniques. that's what it's all about. you can never know how to do everything.

Posted Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:39 am

I've begun working on the "10 Q's with TheRiverRat"-coming in Spring of 2012(march Maybe)...I'm throwing my lure out there again in hopes of having some of you suggest some good questions...they can be funny...they can be "hard hitting"...BUT send any suggestions to my "PM" posting a good one on the MSG BOARD may give it away before spring...I hope every one is having a GREAT HOLIDAY SEASON...and I look forward to the next installment in March...and with the responses to this...maybe it will be EVEN BETTER then ...

Posted Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:53 am

Mikey....it's your turn buddy...fill out the 10questions....I bet a buck EVERYONE will know your answer for BIGGEST FISH you've caught question!...WHAT A RUSH Huh?....in the coming weeks...this will BLOW UP...I witnessed the guest count go to 59 on the MAFF today...and Mike...probably because of you bud ! I hope ya like "fame"...'cause it's too bad if ya don't hahahahahahaha

Posted Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:46 pm

I been fishing in tourneys since the very first MAFF tourney in june of 2009 and been fishing only 5 years total now!!!!Getting better every year!!!

Well my team name has a couple meanings one i can't explain lol and the other is the name of my music studio where i have done recordings for singing and rap artists.Big Shug(Gangstarr) Singapore Kane, Xl (Kreators) and many more underground artists!!

My cartopper is a 10' Pelican rhino 55lb troller
My Bassboat is a 18' 1994 Stratos with a 120h.p Johnson

2 Career wins in MAFF
(1) Cochituite ,Natick
(1) South Watuppa,Fallriver
(1)small pickup tourney at boone(but i dont creally count this one)

also had some 2nds and 3rds Billington Sea,Wallum Lake,Lake Winthrop,Norton Res

and 3 lunker prizes Boone,Concord River,S. Watuppa

We also came 4th in the Final at Webster which i thought was pretty good!!

I would have to say the 9lb 4oz largemouth i netted for mikey Dec 27th 2011 unreal !!

Ideal for me is light breeze but mostly calm partly to mostly cloudy 70 degrees and early morning start bout 4:30am

My carrot stick(Thanks Damon)6'6" mh fast tip with my okuma epixor ef20a reel most of my fish come on that rod!!!

My biggest fish came from the charles river on a crawfish jig and it was a 15lb 8oz carp 28 inches long 22inches of girth which i have a state pin for!!!

Carp --------15.8lbs
Pike ----------6.9lbs
Largemouth---5.7lbs
Smallmouth---3.7lbs
Crappie--------2.1lbs

I think cali because the fishing is nuts there tons of monsters!!!but reality will keep me in the cape because i love them smallies!!!

I love fishing and put 110% in what i love but honestly more than half is being on the water with my friends without stress of life and enjoying the peaceful waters which we all love and the element of pulling out something amazing!!!And can't forget SMOKE ON THE WATER LOL!!

Posted Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:55 am

My father started me when I was 6. Grew up in Southie near the ocean so I started there fishing for groundfish. Joined my 1st club in 1992 and have been competeing since

Its the current rig I run, A stratos and the year i was born

97' Stratos 295 DC. It's beat to crap and currently has a blown power head.

14' bass pro shops "cartopper". Currently no gas motor. Runs on 24 volts of power and 80lbs of thrust.

Have not fished any of the trail event here. Did do one "pick up" on here at Little long and was luck enough to win in a 4 boat field.

Probably when I made a state team. Not so much the fishing but the waiting afterward at the weigh in to see if my name stayed on the leader board.

1. Mid to Late October overcast and breezy
2.Warm, cloudy ,overcast and breezy summer day

My favorite is the one best suited for what I am doing ( the proper, quality tool for the job). If this is asking what my favorite technique is, I'd say pitching a jig or slowly working a BIG swimbait.

LM: 7 lbs 8 oz. Carolina rigging in Maine

SM: 5lbs 2 oz. Zara spook on Champlain

*What inspires you to fish...Why do you fish?. .

Lake Bacarac in Mexico. My best shot at a double digit bass.
I just love to fish. Can't explain it. It gets my blood boiling just thinking about getting out. I still do not sleep the night before I am going fishing.

Posted Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:32 pm

stratos1966

I just love to fish. Can't explain it. It gets my blood boiling just thinking about getting out. I still do not sleep the night before I am going fishing.

That about says it for me also...before I go ice fishing, I read all the maps and reports, then I wake up about 2 hours before I need to and all I think about is where I'm going to drill my holes and hope that no is there before me!

Posted Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:21 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links