Hello, Y'all;

A couple people recommended using senkos on another post where I asked about easy baits to fish.

I want to give them a try, doe's anyone have recommendations on size, hook size, and color for Largemouth, Smallmouths, and Crappie?

Thanks,
Patrick

Posted Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:51 pm

Im not really sure on smallies or crappies but for largemouth i use a 3/0 or 2/0 with a 5 inch or bigger senko. I personally love watermelon with redflake. Hope that helped

Posted Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:10 pm

My opinion.
Stay basic.
Black blue flake 5"
Green pumpkin black flake 5"
There is more colors that produce,YES. But you can spend alot quick but i have very good results with these colors.
Other colors:
Baby bass
Watermelon/flake
Black
Black red/flake
Black/gold flake
I think i use a 1/0 circle hook (wacky rigged) 99.9%.
Light line 6lb-8lb.
use a o-ring in the middle of the bait to help longevity of the worm..
I fish for bass mostly.
You can drop down to a smaller senko if desired for smaller species.
Good luck

Posted Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:17 pm

Try a drop shot rig using a senko worm, green pumpkin, red flake, or purple flake. There are many ways and type hooks to drop shot with. Find the one that works best for you. It's worth the time and effort.

Posted Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:44 pm

If you wan't crappies prob have to go with a 4in Senko on number one hook but I've never caught crappies off a Senko black blue flake excellent go to color green pumpkin and black flake as mentioned in last post also do well black with blue flake can be hard to come by this time of year cause when we spot em we stock up both colors with a #2 bent shaft hook is what I use and I have been catching smallies and Larry's pretty often I usually don't even bother with a weight because they are heavy and you can cast them a mile and often times you will get a hit as the Senko falls so pay attention when you cast if your line twitches or heads left or right let em take it for a few and hook em of course tougher to tell when windy but the fish will hit these things in any condition.Some people like wacky style(hook placed right in middle of Senko) I prefer texas rigged.

Posted Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:12 pm

For a 5" SSB use a 3/0 EWG for Texas rigging. Skin hook the bait for more hookups Exclamation I also pinch the barb back, makes the unhooking a lot easier and less injury to the fish since they sometimes take the bait deep in the throat Exclamation

Posted Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:42 am

Crappie and smallies say use a tube jig smallest can't stand them and actually got three lb crappies over the weekend with them up on NH.. like they natural colors um pumpmibg or any greens love watermelon with red and green flake my favorite couse a or black with blue. Ember depending on water color and clarity use dark or black in stained water and real natural in clear water.Gary yatomoto have the best action by far but I little pricey.good luck u will be slaying them in no time

Posted Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:57 am

Balck w/ blue flake are my go to, but baby bass or anything green or pumpkin seem to be just as productive. Stay with the 5" or 6". I use 3/0 hooks texas rigged. No weights needed as you can cast pretty far as is.

Everyone has their own technique that works for them. I usually cast out and let it sink. If I don't get a hit on the cast then I will reel in slowly with a couple quick twitches to the line and let it fall again. Just play around with it and you will figure out quickly what works for you.

Posted Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:26 am

Wow, apparently senkos are pretty popular.

I'll run to Natick Outdoor Store tomorrow and pick up some 5" ones and 3/0 EWG hooks.

At this point I want to go after bass. I've been catching quite a few Black Crappie on spinners, so I'm set there.

A big thank you to everyone for your advice.

Cheers,
Patrick

Posted Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:38 pm

Good luck I just started fishing with them this year and if I could bring only one bait to catch a bass it would be a Senko careful though it gets addicting and expensive cause when your on the fish they will tear em up in no time!And to other poster about clamping down barbs I am going to try that cause when it is windy sometimes you don't catch the bite in time and they swallow it I've been going through alot of hooks cause if it is in there gut I just cut the line try to give the fish a fighting chance to live.

Posted Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:59 pm

I have started doing the same thing with barbs and it has worked out ok. Also try circle hooks.

Posted Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:51 pm

What kind of line are you guys using with senko's?

I noticed I was gut hooking them a lot more when using Mono, but I started experimenting with braid with a flouro leader and found I wasn't getting any gut hooks. I figured it has something to do with less stretch in the braid and it allows me to feel the bite and react quicker before they have a chance to swallow it.

Maybe not though. Smile

As for colors.... Dark, Pumpkin, Greens, Baby Bass, stuff with sparkles. Smile Honestly anything. I even have those yellow tipped ons, and they bite that. I've been mostly using 3/0 hooks, but I switch it up bigger or smaller once in a while.

Posted Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:00 pm

I personally use 10lb PowerPro Braided line(Moss Green). It's sensitive enough where I feel the lightest bite, but strong enough where you won't be snapping line very often. Every now and again you still get the catch that swallows the hook, but far less than I used to. Just be careful with it as it will rip your hands apart as I found out a few weeks back when I lost a pig of a Bass. The thing bent my hook, but that line didn't snap!

I fish quite a bit with badlarry at the Sud and he can back me up on the quality of this line.

Posted Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:42 pm

Y'all are making me think I'm going to need another rod and reel. I'm currently using an ultra lite 5' ugly stick with 6lb mono.

Posted Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:16 pm

aem1031

I personally use 10lb PowerPro Braided line(Moss Green). It's sensitive enough where I feel the lightest bite, but strong enough where you won't be snapping line very often. Every now and again you still get the catch that swallows the hook, but far less than I used to. Just be careful with it as it will rip your hands apart as I found out a few weeks back when I lost a pig of a Bass. The thing bent my hook, but that line didn't snap!

I fish quite a bit with badlarry at the Sud and he can back me up on the quality of this line.

By Sud do you mean river or reservoir?

Posted Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:17 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links