Snell knot is the best knot to use because it causes the hook to swing out and up with any pressure applied. Any strong knot will work but only the snell does that. As for hooks , I agree with doug. Trokkar hooks are the balls. They have come down in price last year so they are not soooo outrageous. My 2nd favorite hook is the Denny Brauer Mustad grip pin hook. Paycheck hooks were the balls when they 1st came out but having to use the shrink tube now, with so many other options out there is not practical.

Posted Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:22 am

Last time I was at Dick's they had the Trokar's on sale for 6.99. I shoulda got some

Posted Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:24 am

grab some grip pin and a pack of the hack attack. the plastic keeper on the hack attack is insane. they're a little more compact so you can put smaller plastics on them. i have the 3/0 and 4/0.

Posted Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:47 am

samf

grab some grip pin and a pack of the hack attack. the plastic keeper on the hack attack is insane. they're a little more compact so you can put smaller plastics on them. i have the 3/0 and 4/0.

That was gonna be my next question. What size you use. I was using 4/0 or 5/0 worm hooks last year

Posted Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:01 pm

3/0 for smaller baits 4/0 and 5/0 for bigger baits. The 6/0 are HUGE

Posted Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:21 pm

stratos defiantly hit the nail on the head i usually use 4/0 hooks for something like a pit boss and i will usually use a 1/2 to 3/4 oz eco pro tungsten bullet weight there nice an smooth and doesn't snag or chafe the line after a few hours fishing and the paint doesn't chip easy.

Posted Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:21 pm

Im going to be ordering some stuff for punching soon. What is the highest weight you use for punching in MA for tungsten?

Posted Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:26 pm

kmsnowman

Paycheck Yes! Snell NO!

NO and NO, lmao

Trokar (because of the hard plastic bait keeper and the hook point is basically indestructable)

I once used only the snell knot but strayed away after missing 7 big fish at the Quaboag Event last year...very strange, I switched to palomar I always use and boated the next three fish.....

With that snell I found out that if your hook set has any side ways motion to it your screwed, youll miss every hook set

Posted Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:33 pm

sinista

kmsnowman

Paycheck Yes! Snell NO!

NO and NO, lmao

Trokar (because of the hard plastic bait keeper and the hook point is basically indestructable)

I once used only the snell knot but strayed away after missing 7 big fish at the Quaboag Event last year...very strange, I switched to palomar I always use and boated the next three fish.....

With that snell I found out that if your hook set has any side ways motion to it your screwed, youll miss every hook set

So you have a crooked hook set?

Posted Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:40 pm

biggz53

Im going to be ordering some stuff for punching soon. What is the highest weight you use for punching in MA for tungsten?

it depends on how thick the mats are..

in 2011 at the Nashua River Tournament we had I had to use back to back 1.5 oz tungstens (3oz total) to punch through the water chestnuts..

Posted Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:19 pm

Just trying to knock the fish out?

Posted Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:26 pm

shawneramone

Ive done that too, at the Agawam River, flipping a 1.5 oz set the hook and it became dead weight, pulled the fish thru the mat it layed motionless on top of it, body surfed him to the boat, took almost a minute of shaking him around in the water to snap him out of it, photos then release

Heres the fish

Posted Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:45 pm

sinista

biggz53

in 2011 at the Nashua River Tournament we had I had to use back to back 1.5 oz tungstens (3oz total) to punch through the water chestnuts..

Thats insane. I should have used that to punch through the ice yesterday.

Posted Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:48 pm

thelucky

sinista

biggz53

Thats insane. I should have used that to punch through the ice yesterday.

At that event the Water Chestnuts were so thick that Mikey Meatballs Dog Lilly (Bulldog) step off the boat thinking it was dry land, need less to say she sunk like a brick, he almost lost her that day, luckily he was able to grab her before she went under again. I watched the whole thing

Posted Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:50 pm

sinista

shawneramone

Neil looks like Vin Diesel in this pic Laughing

Posted Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:45 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links