Do you think the watercraft launching ban should be repealed?
Yes. Keep the parking ban, repeal the watercraft ban
100%
 100%  [ 3 ]
No. Keep both parking & watercraft ban
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 3

Anglers who fish from the wall at the Pleasant Street Dam can no longer park there car along the street because it obstructs pedestrian traffic. There are parking lots a short walk away on either side of street. Fine, whatever.

What's unreasonable is that people can no longer use the area "off to the right" of the dam", an area clearly built for launching small crafts like jon boats and kayak!

The parking ban I get, but the watercraft ban? COME ON!

Anyway, the town says boat launching is "encouraged" at the Armando Recreation Center". . . . Well, where is that!?!

I'd like to see the thoughts of ANYONE who fishes the Canton Rez whether it's from the Pleasant Street Dam or from a watercraft, where ever.

Thanks!

Posted Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:42 pm

The Armondo Rec Center is just down the street (same side as the pond, toward the stop light). There is parking and a path that leads down to the water, though it's a bit of a haul.

Posted Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:58 pm

I had always launched from a grass parking lot just down the street from the dam, I think its an easier place to launch than the dam. Its a short walk to the water from there even if you have to pull your kayak, if you have a cart its even easier.
The three times I had been there this year the gate to get into the parking lot was locked, even after april 1st when it was supposed to be open for the season. I'm not sure if its unlocked now or not, I haven't been there in a few weeks.

Posted Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:49 pm

That same location was actually posted no launching last season as well, up until the fall when the sign was removed from the little building next to the dam. That sign never stopped people from launching though, and I have seen people launching from that location the past few days even. Although I hear the town wants to actually enforce it this time. Since the town took over that water there have been rumors of an improved launch, so maybe that's coming at some point. There's plenty of land for a great launch area, they'd just need to do some clearing.

Having the sign say that launching can be done from the rec center is a little misleading. If you head north on Pleasant toward Washington, there is a dirt road on the right before you hit the entrance to the rec center. It's possible to drive by without even noticing, but again if you reach the rec center building you've gone too far. The gate on the dirt road has been closed all spring until just recently. It opens up into a pretty big field, so there's plenty of parking. Apparently last season that area was wet and trucks driving in and out tore it all up, so the town was doing some work to fix it. Hence the closed gate. Good news is that it's open now. However, launching from there isn't as easy as it was from Pleasant. Between the end of the parking area and the water's edge there are some woods to contend with. Not terribly heavy woods, but it's a big enough area to cross that lugging any kind of boat won't be fun. Check it out though.

I'm hoping that the new rules about parking at the dam deter the white bucket brigade in some small way.

Posted Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:52 pm

I think the white bucket brigade will still set up shop and take home every single white/yellow perch, bass, bluegill, and pic they get...

I get wanting to eat your catch, but I think that place would be pretty remarkable if white-bucket folks from Boston didn't keep so many fish.

Posted Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:54 pm

call the environmental police on them everytime we have to protect our fishing waters bro dont feel bad about it .The bucket brigade cleaned out a local pond near me i used to catch 1lb crappies all day long now not a single one.I hate them bastards i see them at norton too

Posted Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:39 am

So is there a water craft ban there?

Posted Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:46 am

smokecity

call the environmental police on them everytime we have to protect our fishing waters bro dont feel bad about it .The bucket brigade cleaned out a local pond near me i used to catch 1lb crappies all day long now not a single one.I hate them bastards i see them at norton too

as long as there's still yellow perch hittin the grub you're still happy though right? haha

Posted Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:17 am

No haha I want my crappies back whats up sammy boy when we going fishing my brother from another mother

Posted Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:19 am

haha i'm gone the next 2 weekends but let's go after that. i'll hit you up.

Posted Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:39 am

[quote="mcdonams"]Having the sign say that launching can be done from the rec center is a little misleading. If you head north on Pleasant toward Washington, there is a dirt road on the right before you hit the entrance to the rec center. It's possible to drive by without even noticing, but again if you reach the rec center building you've gone too far. The gate on the dirt road has been closed all spring until just recently. It opens up into a pretty big field, so there's plenty of parking. Apparently last season that area was wet and trucks driving in and out tore it all up, so the town was doing some work to fix it. Hence the closed gate. Good news is that it's open now. However, launching from there isn't as easy as it was from Pleasant. Between the end of the parking area and the water's edge there are some woods to contend with. Not terribly heavy woods, but it's a big enough area to cross that lugging any kind of boat won't be fun. Check it out though.
quote]

I checked it out today. Parked at the Armando Center and walked the dirt road from Pleasant Street all the way to the Res. . . . It looked okay but, here's the problem - I can so see myself or someone else going down there to launch their kayak or jon boat only to drive right into the middle of someone's huge family reunion cookout/bbq! Either that, all I saw was one really good place to launch from - but it's also the one good place to shore fish from. It is a certainty that someone is going to already be there by the time I get there to launch/return with the kayak, which means disturbing them and their fish!
Screw this, I'm going to Ponkapoag! Ha ha!

Posted Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:03 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links