you are the master of that place. great job.

Posted Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:18 pm

The bag weight included the bag.The lunker was weighed without the bag.Thats how you get 4.4 and 2.15 with one fish.When you don't have the scale and baskets that's how it's been done.Unless you weigh the bag and deduct it.Too much trouble.

Posted Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:44 pm

shawneramone

I listen to the master...ummmm not you Yoda. I mean the MASTER! http://www.bassmaster.com/blog/try-small-crankbaits-early

So your lure digs and hits structure?

Posted Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:15 pm

i can't speak for shawn but most of my bites come on a deflection off of cover like rocks, weeds, wood, branches or when grinding it on the bottom defleting off of everything. i almost never catch anything on them just reeling them in open water unless you're ripping it through bass busting bait. square bills are great for ripping through weeds and grass. the bump and stop is good too if they're lethargic.

maybe shawn's really mastered the square bill here and gets them otherwise. if so, i'd love to hear his techniques.

Posted Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:47 pm

samf

i can't speak for shawn but most of my bites come on a deflection off of cover like rocks, weeds, wood, branches or when grinding it on the bottom defleting off of everything. i almost never catch anything on them just reeling them in open water unless you're ripping it through bass busting bait. square bills are great for ripping through weeds and grass. the bump and stop is good too if they're lethargic.

maybe shawn's really mastered the square bill here and gets them otherwise. if so, i'd love to hear his techniques.

Thank you.
I've bumped ,jammed,smashed everything! I cant catch a crank-bait fish. lmao

My cousin has been having luck too.

I'll keep trying Cool

Posted Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:48 pm

Kman and I went fishing at one of our regular places (Sam knows the place Wink ). I caught a few bass, only one keeper that I landed and lost two keepers, all on KVD squarebill cranks. I caught a few others on a perch colored jerkbait. No bite on the jig at all the entire day, which is rare at this place.

Posted Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:56 pm

lol that's me with open water or bottom dragging jigs. i'm 99% worthless with them unless its pitching to cover. hahaha roger, i thought about going there with hopefully rising water levels.

Last edited by samf on Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:07 pm

I was using a stop and go retrieve over weeds that are still alive between 3-5 ft of water. I was thinking they were gonna be around the 8 ft range for some reason and got that first one when I cast to the shallow part of a hump and reeled down. I checked the depth and then kinda stuck with it. I always start with a slow steady retrieve and then start mixing it up. Like you Sam I'm always looking to hit something except grass. I haven't had a ton of success ripping cranks through the grass but have caught enough that I keep at it. I've only started to get comfortable with water deeper than 8 ft. I have been building my collection and have a few fish from the 8-15 ft range. I love the square bills though. I have two rods that I use for cranking and almost always have a square bill tied on. Jay, it's just like any other technique, you just have to build up that confidence. At Boone, I started throwing a jig in desperation. I had never used one for more than a few casts. After catching that 6 pounder I decided maybe I should get used to a jig. Now I have one tied on all day every day. The same happened for cranks last year. I only had a few of them but I just kept throwing them and catching fish. Now if someone asked me what's my favorite I'd say cranking. It edges out the jig just because I like the fast tempo of cranking. On the downside my wrists and shoulders are sore after the weekend. LOL

Posted Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:39 pm

blackgts2002

How do you get a 1 fish bag for 4 pounds, and lunker for almost 3? Question Shocked

all, teams bags included the weight of the bag, so with the bag my fish was 4lb 4oz without the bag 2lb 15oz

Posted Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:31 pm

samf

The water level was up for sure Sam. Thought we were gonna sleigh them big time, but it just didn't happen in the numbers we usually do there. Oh well, such is fishing

Posted Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:13 pm

shawneramone

I was using a stop and go retrieve over weeds that are still alive between 3-5 ft of water. I was thinking they were gonna be around the 8 ft range for some reason and got that first one when I cast to the shallow part of a hump and reeled down. I checked the depth and then kinda stuck with it. I always start with a slow steady retrieve and then start mixing it up. Like you Sam I'm always looking to hit something except grass. I haven't had a ton of success ripping cranks through the grass but have caught enough that I keep at it. I've only started to get comfortable with water deeper than 8 ft. I have been building my collection and have a few fish from the 8-15 ft range. I love the square bills though. I have two rods that I use for cranking and almost always have a square bill tied on. Jay, it's just like any other technique, you just have to build up that confidence. At Boone, I started throwing a jig in desperation. I had never used one for more than a few casts. After catching that 6 pounder I decided maybe I should get used to a jig. Now I have one tied on all day every day. The same happened for cranks last year. I only had a few of them but I just kept throwing them and catching fish. Now if someone asked me what's my favorite I'd say cranking. It edges out the jig just because I like the fast tempo of cranking. On the downside my wrists and shoulders are sore after the weekend. LOL

I fished the square bill almost all morning and came up with long green fish with a mouth full of teeth, couldnt get anything going until the sun got high, after which I snapped off a giant on a boag hog jig and 17lb floro I watched her swim off she was easily 6 lbs (5 minutes later Team Shaw rolled in a picked up a close to 3 pounder off the same exact spot my fish was on). Lost another one the hook set , she really pounded it but came unbuttoned a second into the fight, the wind was blowing hard enough to make boat control that close to the docks difficult hence the reason I need a full size bass boat, managed to land the one fish i caught on the jig as well

Posted Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:19 pm

Good stuff guys. I will not give up. thanks for advice on techniques etc.
I'll post that dang 1st crank bait fish hopefully before season ends

Posted Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:27 pm

I've caught a lot of fish on crankbaits this year as well including square bills, lipless and stick baits.

Posted Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:40 am

I didn't catch any pickerel. I did catch a few perch and two of them would have been keepers if they were bass. They were fat.

Posted Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:20 am

whats the difference between round bill and square bill? do they swim differently?

Posted Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:35 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links