Recently, I came across a pretty awesome spot for pad fishing (tons of bites). Only problem is, I don't usually do any pad fishing, and the only weedless thing I have in my box is Senkos and crawfish, but I usually try the Senko.

A fish will absolutely crush it, I'll set the hook and it will seem like he's on for a few seconds, but then somehow i'll lose him in the weeds. I've played with a few things, like waiting a second or two to set the hook, different hook sizes, but it all seems to yield the same amount of success.

So, i'm looking for suggestions for something that will help me get more of these pigs to the boat, whether it be technique, lure, or both. That way I can land 15-20 instead of 4-5 of them every time out!

Posted Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:58 pm

first thing you should get is braided line. use a taller rod. get a couple frogs if the senkos stop working and your good to go

Posted Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:15 pm

Well I'm not actually snapping off, I'm using somewhere between 15-20 lb line already. It just somehow going from being hooked in his mouth to hooked in the weeds

Posted Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:23 pm

When it comes to fishing any kind of heavy cover you really need to horse them outta the cover quickly. Long rod and 65lb braid will conquer anything

Posted Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:25 pm

I fish stick baits using a 7' med heavy rod and 20lb Fireline Crystal on a Revo STX with direct tie to the hook. I don't lose too many fish in the weeds with this setup but will every so often.

Posted Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:50 pm

Ok, what about hook size?

Posted Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:12 pm

The trick is have a set up that will let you set the hook and crank the fish to the top asap.15 to 20 # line should do the trick.Braid is also good in a 30 to 60 # range.If you don't get them up they will wrap around the stems and get off.Baitcasting set up is a must.If your fishing senkos you need to set the hook right away.The same with weighted worms.The second you feel a bite or see your line move nail it.You can also try running over the top and let it drop off the edge or in a pocket.They do follow and strike on the fall.Pay attention and watch your line.Cooks pond in Plymouth is surrounded by pads and that's where I learned to fish them.The place is gated off now and you can only walk there.Frog fishing is a little different you need to wait like a second or 2 on a blowup.

Posted Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:14 pm

circle hooks for senkos!

Posted Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:18 pm

Will a baitcaster really work much better than my spinning reel? And does everyone usually use circle hooks? I always use an extra wide gap worm hook...

Posted Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:22 pm

jgt11

Will a baitcaster really work much better than my spinning reel? And does everyone usually use circle hooks? I always use an extra wide gap worm hook...

100%. If you wanna get em outta the pads you need the heavier gear and the power of a baitcaster.

Posted Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:29 pm

you an throw a lot of things weedless, not just senkos. craws, creature baits etc. if you're throwing in really thick cover and pads, it will be a lot of easier to keep fish pegged and pull them out with a heavier rod, line, and hooks. there's no reason you can't throw a senko on a heavy EWG hook, braid, and a baitcaster either. i personally don't throw senkos on circle hooks in pads...too easy to get hung up even if it's weedless.

not that you won't be able to pull some fish out with a spinning rod and 8 lb. test or 20-30 lb. braid, but these things can help your ratio will go up. the biggest thing with a spinning setup is that the fish can get a lot more leverage and once they pull you down into the weeds they can shake the hook easier leaving you wondering if it's still hooked and hauling slop only. keep the tension on whatever you do.

Last edited by samf on Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:35 pm

You only use circle hooks for wacky style,and not in the pads.Texas rigged with a 2 or 3 odd wide or regular worm hook,Pick whatever brand you like but Trokar is the sharpest and the heaviest guage.Set it and forget it.trokar,gamkatsu,owner are the main hooks I use.Diatchi is top of the line too.

Posted Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:38 pm

I primary fish the pads.. always use braid 30-65lb power pro green.. texas rig with 4/0 hook, usually frogs if i'm weighting it to punch the pads i use 3/4 oz jig with usually a crawfish on it..helps to fan out the weed protectors on the jigs I find it catches less salad.. I also use a spinning rod and it's a ton more work to get them in the boat.. Hubby uses only bait caster though he's much stronger it just seems so much easier with bait caster, i just cant get used to the thumb action on a bait caster.. I also use a med/heavy rod 6'8" just cant accurately cast a longer heavier rod.. I have some, but usually end up in the trees more than the water..

Posted Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:27 pm

If they wrap you up don't try to force them out. Keep pressure on the fish and go to them and get them out.

Posted Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:19 pm

That's it...and pray that they don't get off while you're making your way over to them Very Happy

Posted Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:27 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links