How do I tell if my weights are lead weight?
Planning on going threw my box an get all the lead weights out and replace with Lead Free Weights.

Posted Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:42 pm

Lead is pretty soft, that would probably be the easiest way to check them. Just squeeze with a pair of pliers Exclamation Laughing

Posted Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:03 am

I used a magnet. Lead won't stick, steel will

Posted Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:28 am

you could feed them to a Loon and watch for results

Posted Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:29 am

the people who made this stupid law obviously are not fishmen.

Posted Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:21 pm

I just went thru all my tackle box and threw out a lot of jig heads and bullet weights , split shots , tube weights.
It was hard to tell on my football heads with paint.
Well now I have to tell my wife that I have to go to Bass Pro Shop to replace all these , Dam it! ;}

Posted Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:04 pm

inkslinger

I just went thru all my tackle box and threw out a lot of jig heads and bullet weights , split shots , tube weights.
It was hard to tell on my football heads with paint.
Well now I have to tell my wife that I have to go to Bass Pro Shop to replace all these , Dam it! ;}

check out these lead free baits hand made by one of our members
http://www.boaghogbaits.com/

Posted Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:17 pm

Thanks Shawn.
Inkslinger 99% sure all of your weights will be lead unless you specifically bought steel split shot or steel bullet weights. may be you buy tungsten and with those prices your sure to remember them. lol
Shawn mentioned a great place to buy lead free tackle, They are developing more items as we speak too. Very Happy

Posted Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:23 am

When its gotta be lead free its gotta be BOAG HOG!

Posted Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:35 pm

Just curious......How does someone get sponsorship for maff weekend warrior tournaments?

Posted Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:11 pm

nofx99

Just curious......How does someone get sponsorship for maff weekend warrior tournaments?

As far as fishing MAFF tournaments go, all you need to do is watch for the tournament posting and comment "im in" sponsorship is another story

Posted Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:14 pm

How about the sponsorship thing

Posted Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:17 pm

sinista

When its gotta be lead free its gotta be BOAG HOG!

omg i see your shining dome holding a 10 lbs bass on charlie mores boat with his 1 lb charles river whitefish singing that same slogan hahaha

j/k j/k

Laughing

Posted Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:23 pm

The use of any lead fishing sinkers and lead jigs weighing less than 1 ounce is now prohibited in all Massachusetts inland waters (freshwater). Examples of prohibited tackle weighing less than 1 ounce include but are not limited to: split shot, bottom-bumping jigs, bullet weights, lead sinkers, or jigs which are painted, "skirted", or otherwise covered with rubber or other substance.

I get it that it means anything under 1oz we can't use , But what does

Examples of prohibited tackle weighing less than 1 ounce include but are not limited to:

I get that it means anything under 1oz we can't use , But what does
it mean {but are not limited to:?}

I threw away every thing that did not stuck to my Magnet and kept the ones that did that include some tube weights and some swim baits hooks with weight that my Magnet will pick up.
Am I safe?

Posted Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:38 pm

the "but not limited to" means that they are giving you a few examples but it isn't everything and things not listed may still be lead and are banned, but not on the list in this book. It is simply a general term to cover any loop holes that would arise when people said "well it wasn't on your list"

If you made a valid effort to replace your lead with non lead under ounce then chances are you good. Buy tin/tungsten/steel etc from here on out and bob's your uncle.

Posted Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:23 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links