Man when did this lead ban go into effect? Ive been out of state for way too long.

I like fishing tungsten occasionally for certain applications but that stuff is expensive!

Posted Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:13 am

massfisher

Man when did this lead ban go into effect? Ive been out of state for way too long.

I like fishing tungsten occasionally for certain applications but that stuff is expensive!

The law was passed a few years ago but went into effect jan 1, 2012

Posted Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:16 am

so what will happen on the water? will a ranger/warden stop you and ask to see your jigs and what not? and if you have lead jigs/weights they ticket you?

Posted Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:40 pm

The statute uses the phrase “the use of”. To me that means fishing with it. Enforcing a lead free tackle box seems unrealistic. But who knows maybe they are feeling ambitious.

Posted Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:08 pm

You are allowed to be in possession of lead lures.But you cannot have any tied on a fishing pole.That will be considered intent and you can be fined.
I know of a few bass clubs that aren't policing the use of lead but if you get caught while in a tournament you're disqualified.
www.boaghogbaits.com carries a variety of lead free alternatives Very Happy

Posted Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:21 pm

i have been wondering...if someone does stop you, how do they test? tungsten's pretty hard and lead is not, but how will they know my custom jog or weight is tin bismuth or something else? do they carry gear around to test the material?

also, do they have digital scales to weigh the weight or jig to the exact 1/16 of an ounce?

i'm being serious about this...how exactly are they testing and enforcing?

Posted Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:53 pm

samf

i have been wondering...if someone does stop you, how do they test? tungsten's pretty hard and lead is not, but how will they know my custom jog or weight is tin bismuth or something else? do they carry gear around to test the material?

also, do they have digital scales to weigh the weight or jig to the exact 1/16 of an ounce?

i'm being serious about this...how exactly are they testing and enforcing?

I've thought about this very question. I imagine this will only be answered as we get out and fish this year and some of us are checked for licenses, etc. If they don't specifically check the lead issue (and since a lot of checks happen out of the water, you very likely wont get checked), make sure to ask and then spread the word. Talking with people who fish in NH, they have never run into a situation where their terminal tackle was checked. Doesnt mean it hasnt happened and I'm sure somebody on this site or NHfishfinder has encountered this. I would be interested in hearing from them.

Posted Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:13 pm

Check the threads Exclamation I believe this subject has already been beat to death Exclamation Laughing Lets move on boys Exclamation

Posted Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:01 pm

No

Posted Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:13 pm

I'm curious too as to how they check the jigs/weights your are using...I did get asked for a license last year from an EP, so they are out there.

Posted Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:12 pm

chevin37

so what will happen on the water? will a ranger/warden stop you and ask to see your jigs and what not? and if you have lead jigs/weights they ticket you?

you can have lead on you. I have no clue how they'll be able to tell the difference between lead and my lead free jigs from Boag Hog Baits

Posted Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:13 pm

shawneramone

chevin37

you can have lead on you. I have no clue how they'll be able to tell the difference between lead and my lead free jigs from Boag Hog Baits

why pay $4.00 a jig, when you can buy the molds from bass pro shops and make as many as you want! Plus,Last time I checked.... lead has been used for hundreds of years in fishing lures ,now we have to ban it.

Posted Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:10 pm

I'm not going to junk my jigs that contain lead that would be a devastating loss for me, I like the jigs that I have they work well. I'm ganna take my chances although I will replace them with lead free when need be. If I run Into epa and they address it ill be sure to let everyone know how it goes. Sorry if my decision offends anyone, hope it doesn't.

Posted Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:22 pm

I could see them carrying a Magnet of some sort to do a quick
check when your fishing.

Posted Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:05 pm

inkslinger

I could see them carrying a Magnet of some sort to do a quick
check when your fishing.

Not being mean but a magnet is stupid!! Magnets don't stick to non ferrous metals. If an epo tries using a magnet tell him to get a clue!!!
Lead free doesn't mean magnetic lures can only be used. My fathers wife had 5 guys get checked last weekend and they asked me the same thing.
What if i made a stainless 300 series lure (non- magnetic)?
I'm going to try and find out how to check for lead and when i do i will respond to all.
I don't think they know how to check without confiscating and doing research in a lab?
Like i say when i find out i will tell everyone.
Thanks

Posted Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:17 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links