I was curious what do you use knots to tie on hooks, jig, crankbaits, etcs.

For straight line to hook, (for example, senko or texas rigged) I use snell knot. Totally loved them. If i got stuck on stump or rock, I can break the line on tip of hook instead half of line.

A drop shot - I use two or three time to tied small loop that hanging on line so I can put hook on it. so, this method can give me lightest twitch to make lure to go action so crazy. (only downside about it, after couple of bites, loop will become tangled on main line.) I had to repeat for new one.

on popper, jigs, crankbaits - I use "trilene knot." Before I discovered trilene knot, I used to tied jam knot and palomar knot. I hate them so badly because they don't perform my expectation and break off easily. But trilene knot, I never had one break off from any fish yet. I used smaller weight line on trout using this method. caught my 16 pounds trout. In which, 4x stronger than my weight line. I'm just firm believer for this trilene knot for life.

on leader line to mainline - I used blood knot. They aren't effective for me but at least, it will do. Unless someone can tell me better knot than this.

on fly fishing - sometimes I use rapala knot or trilene knot depend on which water I am fishing at.

I just learned all new knots words. so, I just looked up pictures that i was using and here it go. I was wonder what you tend to use?

Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:26 pm

I've fallen in love with the uni knot for a lot of my ties. Haven't quite got the snell down(chubby fingers) but I thinks it's the next best for me at least

Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:35 pm

Yeah, i have same problem with you, huge fingers and hard to tied it. I just do this trick instead doing the snell knot. I dont know if there is another term for this. I just can't find knot name like exactly mine.

Once you put line into hook's eye, make a loop then make sure you hold on end of loop. pick on dead end line to wrap three time to below the hook's eye. then hold on that third tightly (this is huge factor to tied the knot) then put 5-7 wraps to away from eye and put dead end line into loop. and pull it. You are all set to go. (this is what I did instead follow exactly snell knot.)

Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:38 am

I use the uni for most everything. I must admit though I like to use quick snaps for my spinners and crank baits. When using plastics or jigs,I use the uni with no snap (makes me think of in living color, "two snaps and a twist", google it, wicket funny) unless using braid I use the palomar.

Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:19 am

Haha. I just google it. its funny!

yeah, I just started to use snaps on light line. never use one for big fish such as bass to pike. I felt that snap cause no action that I wanted lure to be. even though I know I did something wrong. Because one of my fishing buddy did same with me and he didn't get any action so he used snaps then he got actions that he wanted. So, I guess that it is various preference depend to each fisherman. such as your skills apply to this.

Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:43 am

I have used the Improved Clinch knot on everything for as long as I can remember unless I'm using a Blood Knot to join lines.

Have absolutely never had an issue with this knot, it holds strong and is quick to tie.

Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:12 am

improved clinch on mono and flouro. palomar on braid.

Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:25 am

Palomar on braid, Trilene on mono, double uni to tie two lines together.

I need to learn to snell and do a better line to line not. I'm not a huge fan of the double uni, the braid half never comes out good.

Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:56 pm

swill17

I need to learn to snell and do a better line to line not. I'm not a huge fan of the double uni, the braid half never comes out good.

I've been using the modified albright for braid to fluoro and its been working out pretty nicely.

Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:07 pm

i keep it simple whenever possible, for mono and fluoro i pretty much exclusively use a trilene knot because i cant ever remember it failing on me and in my opinion i have it so commited to muscle memory that its easier and quicker than a palomar. on braid i tie palomar or if im frog fishing i tie a double palomar, i used to tie uni knots but now just stick with palomar cause its easier,quicker and holds up better. for line to line connections i tie a uni to uni almost 100% of the time and its quick and easy and man do i tie a mean uni to uni Wink as for the godforsaken nanofil i use on my wacky rig rod and reel there is only one knot that berkley states will actually hold with it and thats the nano knot which is basically just a palomar that gets wrapped in itself twice and if i were to tie a leader to the nanofil the only knot that will hold is a modified albright but i dont use leaders with it in favor of just "camo-ing" the last 4 feet with a sharpie cause the line is white. oh yeah and for up or down turned eyed hooks i tie a mean pretty ass friggin snell!

Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:59 pm

scoobystas

swill17

I've been using the modified albright for braid to fluoro and its been working out pretty nicely.

+1 a/k/a Alberto knot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEmsBmsGHQY

and here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_t8uHFhiJE&list=PLDzDcP8PvurBiZvXW1ENGTcqgJpWvOwsN&index=13

Last edited by bloomagoo on Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:03 pm

biggz53

I've fallen in love with the uni knot for a lot of my ties. Haven't quite got the snell down(chubby fingers) but I thinks it's the next best for me at least

i dont have chubby fingers but i got man hands lol and i keep my left and right thumb nail un trimmed so when tying my snells i use my thumb nails to not only stack my wraps together tightly but the other thumb nail holds them tight when i go to do my wraps.

Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:03 pm

Hand tied snells.. sooo pretty lol

Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:44 pm

never had a knot failure with the trilene knot and of course the palomar for braids.

Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:33 pm

for me its an improved clinch knot for any type line ive never had the knot break off on a fish or snag

Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:30 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links