I'm beginning to think about putting together a schedule for next season's kayak tourneys and I need your input. Here are the locations we fished in 2012:

1. Charles River (off Woerd Ave, Waltham)
2. A1/Stump Pond
3. Sudbury River, Fairhaven Bay
4. Ponkapoag
5. Lake Shirley

Suggested Sites:

1. Dudley Pond
2. Big Sandy
3. Attitash
4. Lake Boone
5. East Monponsett
6. Norton Reservoir
7. Hopedale

Number of tournaments - thinking 10 would be a good number, same as cartoppers, held every other week.

Saturdays or Sundays - We could continue with Saturdays to avoid conflicts with the other tourneys. Alternately, we could schedule them on Sundays for the same weekends as the big boats (but different location) , but I know a number of the toppers also compete in those tourneys.

Number of boats - I am inclined to keep the number of boats at 10 for now. We can revisit this when we start seeing a waiting list.

Rules changes - I think that the rules worked out well this year. The only amendment I am making is to set a minimum fish size of 1lb. I will entertain any other suggestions for rules revisions that you think would improve the tourneys.

Bonus fish - many of the locations we fished contain other good sport fish. For example, I hauled in a 36" pike and a decent catfish at Fairhaven and a 24"+ pickerel at both Ponkapoag and Charles River. Would anyone be interested in including other fish into the tournaments? We could do this in several ways 1) set up a side pot or a second lunker prize or 2) establish a points system to award bonus points for nice examples of other species. The points system would allow you to add the weight of your other species to your bag. Just thinking.

Last edited by berkleegrad on Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:38 pm; edited 7 times in total

Posted Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:36 am

good stuff John, thank you.
I think the sundays for sure would be a big hit, and I wouldn't worry about competing with the other tourneys. i don't think it would matter.

I think a pond down the cape like big sandy for a small mouth only tourney would be cool for you guys

I also think north like attitash is a great spot

Posted Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:57 am

I think side pot ply if we have x number of boats....as to the 1lbs rule. I think if you want to weigh in a fish under a pound you have to shows it's 12 inches as well, just like a car topper.

I'd like to suggest Dudley pond, we do a car topper there
But is still one of favorites

Posted Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:40 am

Since weight is the determining element for tournament standing and we are already taking photos of the scale readings I think it's just simpler to establish a 1lb limit rather than try to allow for length measurements too.

Posted Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:05 am

With the way results have been going for these tourneys going as they have I'd be pissed to throw away a 15 oz fish that would be legal in any other style tourney

Posted Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:22 am

biggz53

With the way results have been going for these tourneys going as they have I'd be pissed to throw away a 15 oz fish that would be legal in any other style tourney

I agree with this. Not sure why we wouldn't count fish under a lb that are long enough.

Posted Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:29 am

I don't see the difference if everyone is playing by the same rules. It's more likely that one or more of your 9 other competitors are the ones that must throw away the 15oz fish. Things get complicated when the fish get smaller simply because we are not requiring photos as proof of length. Do we really want to specify that each person carry a certified bump board or ruler in addition to the scale?

Posted Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:54 am

berkleegrad

I don't see the difference if everyone is playing by the same rules. It's more likely that one or more of your 9 other competitors are the ones that must throw away the 15oz fish. Things get complicated when the fish get smaller simply because we are not requiring photos as proof of length. Do we really want to specify that each person carry a certified bump board or ruler in addition to the scale?

I think it's very easy to lose out on the money or first on 15 oz. If you remember the first tourney the importance of having ounces Vs decimals because of how close it is. I think if an individual wants the fish to count they can take the effort to measure it, if you don't think it's a big deal than toss it. The Plano boxes in my tacklebag all have a 12 inch marker, probably easier in a canoe but anything within reaching distance in the kayak can be measures out to 12 inches

Posted Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:43 pm

Therein lies the problem. We already have to calibrate our scales. Are we to also calibrate our rulers, tape measures, bump boards, plano boxes too? You assume that these are all similarly accurate yet we know as a group that there is some variation in the scales. As the organizer of these events let me say that I do not want to add another calibration chore to my duties. I am already the last one on the water in every tournament.

Posted Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:02 pm

berkleegrad

Therein lies the problem. We already have to calibrate our scales. Are we to also calibrate our rulers, tape measures, bump boards, plano boxes too? You assume that these are all similarly accurate yet we know as a group that there is some variation in the scales. As the organizer of these events let me say that I do not want to add another calibration chore to my duties. I am already the last one on the water in every tournament.

I guess I assumed that everyone was checking their small fish anyway and that we were using the honor system for length.

Posted Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:25 pm

berkleegrad

Nice meeting you yesterday, just a small tid bit of advice, be very careful when talking about , scales and measurements, and on water off water times, that a sure fire way to get stoned to death at the launch!! LMAO!!

You are starting to sound like this guy Sinista I know, lol

for real though I think you guys are doing a great hink here getting another trail up an running, my suggestion is to try to schedule events around other tournaments especially where there is a big boat event, for multiple reasons, parking being one and the other being on the water chaos like other tournament fishermen and WOO HOOERS ripping by creating 3 foot rollers, this is just my opinion, great job getting it up and running

One More thing what ever you do DONT SAY THE C WORD... "CLUB"

Posted Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:27 pm

Ha ha Neil. Nice to serve you a cheeseburger yesterday. Loved the blue Frogg Toggs Smile

It's all good. The guys are just passionate about their fishing and sometimes forget who's doing the work behind the scenes to make it all come together. Now if they could only walk in our shoes for a weekend or two...

I don't intend to schedule our tournaments at the same venues as the others, at least not on the same dates. Lake Shirley was just for the MAFF cookout. I was getting seasick out there riding the swells every time one of the big boats blasted by.

Posted Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:12 pm

I saw Neil out there yelling woo hoo at the woo hooers lol

Posted Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:15 pm

kman

I saw Neil out there yelling woo hoo at the woo hooers lol

Now that was funny stuff!!!

it was me!!

Posted Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:16 pm

this thread has now officially been hijacked!

Posted Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:16 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links