zack137z

Figured I'd just ask here. I am going to use it mainly for jigging/worms, so which line should I go with, a braided or mono?

As for the actual reel, I know what the two knows on the handle side do, whats this on/off switch on top do and the scale on the side is the brake (I assume), where should I set it for beginning..its the Abu Garcia Silver Max so its just a Min---Max scale. Thanks a bunch once again!

I would go with braided for beginner. Then if you want to take advantage of flourocarbon or mono just tie on a leader with a J-knot.

I also agree with Ma_Fisherman about the whole weight thing. I don't dare throw anything under 1/4 oz on my b/c. and like he said too that is even pushing it (unless I got a steel leader on too). 3/8 and higher are also my minimum weight requirement for throwing on my b/c. 1/4 oz jigs + a trailer is fine too to throw for me.

I don't know much about dial tension knobs since I have an internal brake system with slider things but I would suggest going to the middle setting like someone else said, and if you are handling it really well, then make the tension less, or if you are having problems with backlashes and whatnot, then make the tension greater.

Posted Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:18 pm

i think ultimately you will find that the tension knob has more impact on your casts then the brake settings assuming you dont set the brakes at one extreme or the other. when it comes to setting the tension knob there is not one setting you set it to and leave. it all depends on the weight of the lure. i have read that after tying your lure you want to set the tension knob so that when you release the thumb bar the lure falls to the ground at a steady pace....not too fast, not too slow. however, i would recommend for a beginner that you err on the side of caution and set the tension knob a bit tighter. perhaps so that the lure falls slowly to the ground. this will have a negative impact on casting distance but save you the headaches of loops, knots, and birdsnests in your spool. eventually, as you become more comfortable with your reel, you can begin to loosen the tension to increase casting distance. important thing to remember is that you must reset the tension each time you switch lures/baits.

those here with more b/c experience would you agree with my advice about using more tension until one becomes comfortable casting or are there some reasons this is a bad idea other than the decrease in casting distance. like i said in my earlier post i am by no means an expert with the b/c myself (probably somewhere between novice and intermediate if i had to rate myself).

Posted Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:20 pm

towelie

zack137z

Figured I'd just ask here. I am going to use it mainly for jigging/worms, so which line should I go with, a braided or mono?

As for the actual reel, I know what the two knows on the handle side do, whats this on/off switch on top do and the scale on the side is the brake (I assume), where should I set it for beginning..its the Abu Garcia Silver Max so its just a Min---Max scale. Thanks a bunch once again!

I would go with braided for beginner. Then if you want to take advantage of flourocarbon or mono just tie on a leader with a J-knot.

I also agree with Ma_Fisherman about the whole weight thing. I don't dare throw anything under 1/4 oz on my b/c. and like he said too that is even pushing it (unless I got a steel leader on too). 3/8 and higher are also my minimum weight requirement for throwing on my b/c. 1/4 oz jigs + a trailer is fine too to throw for me.

I don't know much about dial tension knobs since I have an internal brake system with slider things but I would suggest going to the middle setting like someone else said, and if you are handling it really well, then make the tension less, or if you are having problems with backlashes and whatnot, then make the tension greater.

Fixing my wording on the last paragraph because I made some wording errors.

I don't know much about dial braking systems since I have an internal brake system with slider things but I would suggest going to the middle setting like someone else said, and if you are handling it really well and think you can cast further without problems, then make the braking setting less, or if you are having problems with backlashes and whatnot, then make the braking setting greater.

And like Ma_fisherman said the tension knob will be the major setting you need to make for adjusting for casts.

Posted Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:25 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links