sounds more like a pro for spinning rods or if i can put up what i want and dont need a stick per setup ?

Posted Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:26 pm

Skoda,

Sinista is correct, some (but not all), bait caster fishermen are a lot like golfers (who have different clubs for different shots) in that they have specific rods set up for specific purposes. So when you consider that some rod and reel combinations cost about $200 before you spool on your line and if you have about 6 rigs, You are looking at a considerable investment.

Although if you just want a general purpose bait caster you can get one for about $50-70 on sale.

Posted Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:37 pm

My first baitcaster combo is a Abu Garcia Silver max/Berkley lighting rod 6'6" med. Picked up at Dicks' for $50. Its reg price 69.99 its got a $20 mail-in rebate. Still have it with no problems. Like the rod too but, ran it over with trailer & got a field & steam casting rod Med Heavy. I use this for jigs & heavy cover.

Also, got a Pro Qualifier this spring. Traded in a old reel that I didn't use, plus the baitcaster was on sale $79.99, then $25 for the trade in. So, $55 Pro Qualifier & so far, its working well for me.

Posted Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:01 pm

lol @ trailer

yo i am gonna get a cheap one just to test it out
there any lbs limit on those rods

Posted Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:13 pm

fishingreek i just notice u said u bought a field and stream rod i recently just bought one of there flipping sticks just to test it out and it was the worst 69.99 rod ive ever bought was good till i flipped into a laydown and got stuck gave a slight tug and broke the rod.

skoda 12lb test is usually the go to line for baitcasters

Posted Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:51 pm

Was it the field & stream "TEC SPEC"? I almost bought that one.
I had just bought a filed & stream spinning combo & was fishing a drop shot rig. Got hung up, gave it a couple of tugs & snapped it.
Haven't had any problems with my 2 other field & stream rods but, they are in the $25-$35 price range.

If you go back top Dick's within 60 days of purchase, they will give a new rod or credit towards an other. Instead of kicking up another $10 & getting the "TEC SPEC" rod. I chose the "Berkley amp" for $30 & got 2 new spools of line. If you can take it back.

Posted Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:52 pm

skoda

can someone poit out pros and cons of both systems, cause i wanna invest in a new stick as well today or tomorrow and mine so far are all spinners

Baitcast reels really offer up a whole different approach to fishing specific lures. I think the best example of this is fishing a jig with a baitcaster. I wish I could put this into words better but when fishing a jig you have this level of control when using a baitcaster thats hard to match with a spinning reel.

Now I am sure many of you out there can work a jig just fine with a spinning reel (and before this year I used spinning gear for jigs as well) but I am willing to bet that once you try working a jig with a baitcaster you'll probably not want to go spinning with a jig again.

Another lure I found that I strongly prefer to use baitcaster with is crankbaits.

Posted Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:19 pm

skoda

lol @ trailer

yo i am gonna get a cheap one just to test it out
there any lbs limit on those rods

Dicks has some good prices on beginner baitcaster setups.
They have a Quantum combo for around $50 that looks pretty sweet. The Field and Stream combo though thats around the same price I do not recommend. I know someone that went through numerous reels from that combo, and I would hate to see someone turned off from baitcasting because of a crappy reel. The F&S rods on the other hand I have heard some great things about, my bro has a couple of them and really likes them, but the beginner F&S reel... not so much.

P.S. just beware of the really cheap baitcast setups. It is a different world than spinning reels where a cheapy can usually do a decent enough job. When you go too cheap with a baitcaster, they can be a nightmare and a half.

The entry level Quantum setup looks tight and the entry level Abu's I have heard decent things about (Silver max, someone above me said theirs was great)

Posted Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:29 pm

I ended up getting a Abu Garcia Silvermax combo on sale from Gander Mountain from 79.99 to 63.99, cheapish to learn the basics but not the bottom of the barrel. Thanks all for those who responded!

Posted Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:37 pm

zack137z

I ended up getting a Abu Garcia Silvermax combo on sale from Gander Mountain from 79.99 to 63.99, cheapish to learn the basics but not the bottom of the barrel. Thanks all for those who responded!

Nice, Abu's are great.

Be sure to let us know what you think and how you do.

Tight Lines, -towelie

Posted Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:01 pm

Picked up one of thoe Abu Garcia setups yesteraday as well. Like it much better then my Bass Pro Qualifier!

Posted Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:18 am

Once you get comfortable with a baitcaster you will find that they make you feel more connected to your tackle if that makes sense. also, like towelie said you have more control.....more control over your bait as well as more control of your casts. The thing about a b/c is that in most cases (unless you purchase an expensive, finesse specific model such as the pixy) your ability to cast most lighter lures is diminished to the point where it is not even worth using. Personally, i wont even think of using my bc to throw a bait unless it's at least 1/4 oz and even thats a bit hairy for me sometimes. i am by no means an expert and prefer 3/8 oz and up. I can not live without my bc now if i am fishing jigs, spinnerbaits, or large plastic worms such as 6" senkos. If you normally fish small plugs such as rapalas, spinners(rooster tails, panther martins), or small plastic baits (small tubes, unweighted 4" finesse worms, etc) and other similiar baits then a b/c might be a waste. plan on some patience at the beginning if you do purchase one.

My suggestion would be to race your ass over to sports authority in woburn and scoop up the one shimano curado they have on clearance for 70. its the older model curado...its actually a size 100 not the 200 they currently make in the e series. this one isnt green it's all chrome colored. beautiful reel even if its a bit outdated and the original retail was 199.99. last time i checked on friday it was still there and had been the last wk or so.

For the money, i actually do like the berkley lightning shock. make sure you get the shock though and not just the berkley lightning. the shock seems much nicer and worth the extra 15 or 20 bucks. good luck

Posted Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:37 am

Figured I'd just ask here. I am going to use it mainly for jigging/worms, so which line should I go with, a braided or mono?

As for the actual reel, I know what the two knows on the handle side do, whats this on/off switch on top do and the scale on the side is the brake (I assume), where should I set it for beginning..its the Abu Garcia Silver Max so its just a Min---Max scale. Thanks a bunch once again!

Posted Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:40 am

I am no expert, and someonw else here might be able to give you better advice, but what I was told by one of the guys behind the counter was it is best to start off with it in the middle setting.

Posted Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:27 am

I bought my first bait caster about two months ago and taught myself using Youtube videos. I went with the Bass Pro Shop's Tourney Special Bait Casting Rod and Reel combo for $79.99 and I couldn't be happier. The reel is very well made and the rod has a great feel to it. I started off by practicing in the backyard and then moved to the Charles river. I now prefer my bait caster to my spinning rod and use it 90% of the time. It's definitely frustrating at first but once you get the hang of it you can cast further and with much greater accuracy.

Posted Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:08 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links