So far the only plastic baits that have been working for me are senkos rigged weedless or wacky. The misses bought me a bunch of plastics for Father's Day and I've been trying my best to use them. I have bags of plastic crayfish, salamanders, frogs, and weird berkley havoc knock-offs....still no luck. Put on a senko and BAM fish on.

what gives?

Posted Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:26 pm

The only plastics I've used this year are craws and the beaver but like 95% craw. I'm using a 3/8 tungsten bullet weight pegged with a bobber stopper. I've had some hits on the fall but most came after it hit bottom and sat there. My guess is you're fishing them too fast.

Posted Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:47 pm

I love to use a craw this time of year I rig it weedless with a sliding worm weight on it sometimes I will peg it about 8 inches up also.
Just drag it thru the weeds and wait.

Posted Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:49 pm

been killing them on zoom 6'' lizards and 8'' lizards in either a blue or skin tone red color, or Yum F2 4.5" Christie, Green Pumpkin. all creatures are used weighted.

Posted Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:22 pm

Ok, I will try using them with weights.

Posted Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:46 pm

In my opinion... color makes a huge difference.. as well as rate of decent... frogs only top water.. i wouldnt use them any other way.. but the others.. aren't working are the colors the same and the senko and are they weighted the same way.. some plastics are designed to float and others to sink fast.. you have to find where the fish are and bring what ever you are using to them.. if your senko works well and you run out and need to use something else.. test what sinks at the same rate and is the same color. You can catch them on anything..

Posted Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:34 pm

TRy putting one on the business end of a carolina rig. The weight allows for longer casts but the fact that the bait has no weigh allows it to fall slower ones the weight touches down.

Posted Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:38 am

mrsdano's color suggestion is great. One pond only produces on bright green creatures and worms, another I do better with silver minnow colors. If I creep to the shore and there is a lot of vegetation, I go weightless. If I have some distance and open water, I go carolina.

Posted Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:48 am

I always thought for color choice for darker the better? Of the ones I have are brownish with red flake or black flake. I was out last night and did notice the difference in the rate of how fast some of them sink. I will try carolina rig next.

found a purple robo worm on the bank and rigged it wacky, casted it out. i was looking for something in my bag and when i went to real in BAM fish on.

Posted Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:28 am

Also, the Yamamoto's produce much, much better than Berkley's and Generics for me... The Yamamoto's are what got me to finally cut the cord and largemouth fish pretty exclusively with artificials.

Maybe see what some other guys here have to say. I'm not the best LM guy.

Posted Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:39 am

90% of the time when im fishing im flipping some sort of creature bait or craw. my top baits are the yamamoto kreature and the havoc hawk hawg. i fish both of these in all types of cover pegged with a 3/16 - 1/2 oz tungsten weight. usually hopping it and swimming it through cover

Posted Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:02 am

if you stick with black, brown, green hues you will be just fine. it's more the action and presentation. those colors should cover all water clarities and weather conditions.

plus at certain depths, bass lose visibility of certain colors anyways.

Posted Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:09 am

I'm in the same boat. I've come to fish Senkos pretty much exclusively due to how well they produce. I almost always rig them whacky style. The only down side is how often they tear off the hook or get ripped off in thick weeds or cover.

I've tried very hard to use other soft plastics, whether it be creature baits, grubs, worms, or craws, and have had zero success. Also Yamamoto for sure is the superior brand in my opinion. I've caught plenty of fish on YUM, StrikeKing, and KVD's but I just don't see the same results as using genuine Senkos.

I know I need to expand my techniques to be a better fisherman overall but it's so hard to put the whack worm down when I'm out-fishing people almost 10 to 1. My last trip I posted here I used only a whacky rigged senko and caught 7 bass compared to my buddies 1 bass on a texas rigged worm.

But I'm absolutely going to try some of the techniques y'all mentioned in this thread because, to be honest, I never really thought about going carolina rigged or even pegging the weight hah

Posted Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:49 am

Try using o rings for wacky rig. You can get em on eBay. It will cut down on rips.

Posted Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:13 am

Been absolutely killing it the past week on full size Brush Hogs and Reaction Innovations Sweet Beaver 4.20s, they're out-catching senkos (weedless and wacky rigged with o-rings) even for me.

This morning in the rain, all on Brush Hogs:
http://imgur.com/a/u6L4z

Sunday all on Brush Hogs:
http://imgur.com/a/HwZ0r

Posted Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:03 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links