shawneramone

jwall046

my son and i are fishing a adult /youth tourney tomorrow at ct river.
Will it be feast or famine
I'm planning on it being cold!

good luck man...everything I read says to crank this time of year

CRANK!!!
I been cranking my ass off and can't catch anything Rolling Eyes
HAHA
I'll keep trying though bud.

Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:04 am

Just fished Horn Pond this morning for 15 min. Went to a spot I know has deep water near by & rocks. Threw a jig & caught 2 fish right away, 3lber & 1 3/4lber. Football jig is best around rocks. Rocks hold heat & may be a little warmer for bass & good for bait too.Wind was blowing right on spot too. Just slow down & dress warm!! Good Luck.

Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:30 am

fishingreek

Just fished Horn Pond this morning for 15 min. Went to a spot I know has deep water near by & rocks. Threw a jig & caught 2 fish right away, 3lber & 1 3/4lber. Football jig is best around rocks. Rocks hold heat & may be a little warmer for bass & good for bait too.Wind was blowing right on spot too. Just slow down & dress warm!! Good Luck.

Awesome!!

Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:40 am

Everyone is giving great info on this. The shallower the pond the better. Something weird happens in late fall and early winter in deeper ponds. As water temps fall the upper half of the water column actually gets colder quicker until temps approach 32* So when the surface temp is say 40* it might be 45* in 15' of water near the bottom. once water approaches that 32* the deeper water cannot get there because of the pressure applied to it by the upper half of the water column. that is why lakes freeze from the top down and never freeze completely. So in ponds with less then say 8' bass have no where to go to escape the cooler water AND your presentations are going right over thier heads and you can trigger them. if you rip a jerkbait over 20' of water that only dives 5' the bass is too lethargic to come up ot of that depth to strike your bait.
Thats why all the big bass boats stay home in winter. The places they can get access to are for the most part, too deep to fish effectivly. Not all shallow pond are the same. You need to find the ones where the bass willingly bite. When you do you will have found a great cold water pond.

Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:49 am

Looks like it's gonna be cold tomorrow air temp wise. I haven't been to my pond all week due to this disgusting illness but last saturday the water was between 60-64. I imagine it's cooled down this week but feel that they should still be in that feeding for the winter stage. I hope it's on. I have a few spots in mind where I think they'll be hanging.

Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:56 am

I'm reluctant to go tomorrow.Mainly for my sons sake.
I don't fish the ct river but my friend does and says the bit can be awesome! Fyi it hasn't though.
Keeping fingers crossed it will be tomorrow!

Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:05 am

I'm getting better at dealing with the cold. I've always been a baby about it but as I get better gear and actually catch fish (that helps a lot) I've been more willing to go out. Add that to the fact I haven't fished all week and I will definitely be fishing somewhere tomorrow

Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:11 am

like stratos says, look for turnover at deeper places and always look for the thermocline. not all places turnover and not all at the same time. most fish and bait will be right on that line or right above b/c of temperature and oxygen levels. shallower places usually won't have one but can still turnover. i think your favorite place, if im guessing correctly, should be ok until it starts freezing. crankbaits, jerkbaits, or options for anything slow like a worm or carolina rig.

a place like a deep cape pond will be tougher if fish are suspending in 40 over 70' etc. drop shot and spoons would be my ticket if that's the case.

Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:46 am

Shawn, do a search in the Find Trips tab. A couple of us fished Mashpee and John's Pond up until the new year. There should be some good info there.

Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:44 am

Thanks guys...great info

It was awesome punchin up Mashpee in the trips and seeing me and Kev with a 20 pound bag...BOING!!!!

Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:31 am

My biggest fish ever 7plus on a rattle trap in 50 degree water. Late fall shallow water sand bar.

Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:12 pm

i to fish shallow muddy bog ponds. i got a few ponds where we catch bass. all are no deeper then 10 feet. i catch them threw the ice here all the time. hell ive seen a 4lbs bass caught in 4feet of water threw the ice right along the shore.

if you catch bass threw the ice. you will catch them in open cold water.

ive got a question.
i recently took my canoe to a pond. ive fished this pond before but never in a canoe. this pond is deep by the standards of the ponds i fish.
its 20 feet deep. steep drop offs. has yellow perch sun fish and largemouth and maybe the last remaining wild brook trout population around here.

the shore line in some areas imediatly drops of to 10 feet. there is limited shalow water. the brush and weeds along the shoreline in some areas is in 5 feet of water

any tips for fishing a pond like this. cant give any names out because if its the last wild brooke trout pond around here then i need to keep it a secret.
the best part is not alot of people know about this pond. ive never seen a canoe in here

Posted Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:07 am

lol stratos!...big bass rigs stay home when it gets cold?...join the Cran Bog Hawgs Cold Water Series?...we fish tournaments this fall and early winter from 10/28 till the ice is in on the cape...we had 20 boats at Billington last year on 12/4 and yes the weather was wayyy good for sure...the winning weights do drop dramaticly when the water gets cold but somebody always finds the winning pattern....its what we cold water bass guys call "spot" fishin...if you find the right "spot" you can win a tourney in a VERY small area of water because the bass in schools get closer together in cold water...our last event last year was on 12/18

Posted Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:21 pm

wojo

lol stratos!...big bass rigs stay home when it gets cold?...join the Cran Bog Hawgs Cold Water Series?...we fish tournaments this fall and early winter from 10/28 till the ice is in on the cape...we had 20 boats at Billington last year on 12/4 and yes the weather was wayyy good for sure...the winning weights do drop dramaticly when the water gets cold but somebody always finds the winning pattern....its what we cold water bass guys call "spot" fishin...if you find the right "spot" you can win a tourney in a VERY small area of water because the bass in schools get closer together in cold water...our last event last year was on 12/18

no cartoppers

Posted Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:34 pm

wojo

LOL Wojo. 95% of all bass boats winterize in October. When is you last "club" tourney?

Posted Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:09 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links