What setup can you cast far with frogs?
Bait caster or spinning?

What's better? Hook up ratio.
I'm tossing out a 7' medium rigged with 65lbs power pro. On spinning rod! I use the setup for saltwater to.
Is there a better setup?

Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:25 pm

i only throw frogs on baitasting gear. 7' 6" mh flippin stick with xtra fast tip , lews speed spool with 50lb power pro super slick. i can throw a kvd sexy frog pretty damn far and the fast tip i feel helps get a little extra wing cause the tip loads up on the cast. never tried throwing frogs with spinning gear

Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:28 pm

Def. easier to throw them on a baitcaster they fly! Frogs are one kf the easiest lures to throw in my opinion i can seem to cast them almost farther than any of my other lures.

Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:40 pm

I use a baitcaster but I can think of at least 2 guys that frog fish with spinning gear. Stratos and Angler21. They catch pigs too

Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:19 pm

I actually do both. If I want long distance ( btw there is such a thing as too long, where you are so far out you cannot get a good hookset or have any reasonable shot at landing the fish) I use a 6'6" HEAVY spinning rod. BPS Bionic blade makes one and so does/did Falcon. If you can't find one, buy a 7' medium heavy and cut off 6" and reapply the rod tip. I use a shimano symetre 4000 spooled with 65lb braid. I also use this set up for skipping the frog under overhangs or under docks and in bushes. If I am up close to my target ( 5-10' away) I will use a 7' heavy bait caster with 65lb braid and "pitch" my frog at the intended target.

For pure distance I can throw it further on spinning then Baitcasting all day and twice on Sunday.

Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:28 pm

Thanks guys.
In the summer that all I realy use. Alway got one on.
I catch fish. But didnt know if there was any thing better then the rod I use.
When I first started tossin frogs a couple of years ago. The rod I was usin was to light!
But I'm thinkin of by a bait caster!

Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:16 pm

I use an IROD Genesis II Casting Rod 7'5" Fred's Magic Stick with a Shimano 201D7 or 201E7 with 60lb Sunline FX2 braid.

Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:24 pm

i throw one on a powell endurance rod and revo stx. 65 lb. powerpro braid. i personally can get more distance and am a lot more accurate with a baitcaster.

try both out - whatever you're most comfortable with.

Last edited by samf on Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:43 pm

samf

i throw one on a powell endurance rod and revo stx. 65 lb. powerpro braid. i personally can get more distance and am a lot more accurate with a baitcaster.

You said rod

Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:44 pm

crap, you got me. it has purple on it too. not sure how i feel about it, but it works great.

Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:51 pm

I'm all about different colors. I didn't show you my aqua cranking rod. The guides are kinda purplish

Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:53 pm

shawneramone

samf

You said rod

bigun said " MAGIC STICK"

Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:40 pm

stratos1966

shawneramone

samf

You said rod

bigun said " MAGIC STICK"

bigun likes talking about his magic stick

Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:44 pm

joe, heard anything about the iROD Air Series Casting Rods? that 7'5" looks solid for froggin.

Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:23 pm

I've never fished the air series but have heard great things about them. The Fred's magic stick comes in both models. It's a great frog rod - soft enough tip to walk frogs but plenty of backbone to rip them out of the thick stuff. If you are ever interested I can check with a guy I know who gets irods at a great discount.

Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:43 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links