Does anybody use a circuit breaker between their trolling motor and battery? I just bought a new motor and as I was looking for the best price and checking every website I came across a circuit breaker. It made me think I have a fuse on my 90 dollar fishfinder but not on my trolling motor. Kinda silly. So do I just put an inline fuse or get a circuit breaker?

Posted Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:14 pm

http://m.basspro.com/Marnico-Switchable-Reset-Circuit-Breakers/product/97362/

This is what you want, 50 amp is plenty my 12 volt 48 lb thrust only drew a max of 30 amps when on full blast. Most trolling motor recommend this style and size breaker, plus its really easy to reset, I think I tripped mine 2 times last year fighting the wind with my foot glued to the pedal on top speed

Posted Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:09 pm

Thanks. Thats exactly what I was looking at.

Posted Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:11 pm

Thats the one I have too. IMO a must have

Posted Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:20 pm

yep, I have the same one.

Posted Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:57 pm

get the minn kota power station. less wiring to have to do, built in manual breaker, battery meter, and 2 12 volt accessory plugs. i'd recommend it for the beaver fever mod.

based on the simple wiring i had done one of those plugs will act as the back up for the livewell since the power plug is cigarette lighter style

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Minn_Kota_Trolling_Motor_Power_Center/descpage-MKTMPC.html

Last edited by samf on Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:02 pm

I can't believe I never heard of it. You know some motors come with alligator clips. It's not obvious to guys like me

Posted Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:03 pm

you can use ring terminals or clips with the station. check out the pics from the beaver fever thread. i think there are a few of my power station. plus, you an strap it right down in the back.

Posted Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:08 pm

I remember seeing it on your boat. I've found a circuit breaker for half that price

Posted Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:14 pm

nice i like it for the other benefits.

Posted Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:22 pm

I like the battery meter feature. Can definitely come in handy. This may make an appearance on the S.S. Northshore This season.

Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:01 am

ALWAYS use a circuit breaker inline, it must be installed right at or with in 6" of the battery on the + or red feed line. I personally use the atwood version that is available at Walmart for 6 or 7 bucks, We used the power center for Sam's boat and my buddy Joes boat, I personally use in my own and in Zachs boat the simple cheap breaker setup and cheapo battery box . I've owned my Powerdrive and have run it on this setup since 2005 and never had one failure or even had to reset the breaker once.
I use this breaker available on the shelves at Walmart:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Attwood-50-Amp-Circuit-Breaker/16401755

For those of you that bought PDV2 this year I will be posting up a "pedal" dissassembly, cleaning, and mod topic to assist everyone in getting the most longevity out of their pedals, I average about 2+ years per pedal, funny enough using the same tricks I read in Shawns post plus a couple others I've developed over 8 years of ownership.... I'm on pedal 3 at this point so Im closer to 3 years per pedal!!

Last edited by fallentimber on Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:32 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:25 am

Yup!!Hahaha I was just finding and adding the link to my response!! Great minds think alike!

Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:33 am

HAHAHA, I'm definitely down for the cheap way out. I'll order one

Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:38 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links