just wait until you feel the fish pull slightly then slam it as hard as you can. we caught at least 15 today on the frog. didn't lose a single fish. yeah, a few missed or swiped it but never lost one due to a poor hook set. sometimes you need to slam earlier, sometimes wait a little longer. you'll get a hang of it.

Posted Fri May 24, 2013 7:25 pm

This was one of the most frustrating techniques for me to get. I went a whole summer without hooking a single fish on a frog. I would get to excited and rip the frog out of his mouth. But i got it down now. Still not perfect im about 50/50 with frogs now but getting better everytime out.

Posted Fri May 24, 2013 8:41 pm

stratos1966

I'm going to respectfully disagree with Jay just a little. 2-3 seconds is too long. Its not a big difference but 1-2 seconds tops is what i would recommend..... twitch ... twitch... BLAST... 1 mississippi SET!!!!

THATS IT Evil or Very Mad I"M TAKING A STOP WATCH WITH ME
HAHAHAHA!

Posted Sat May 25, 2013 10:36 am

You have to feel the fish on then set hook, ur eyeballs are not ur friend when u fish a frog , you'll want to set right away when u see splash, feel the fish NOT see it

Posted Sun May 26, 2013 6:36 pm

That's sound advice. I was able to land 8 on the frog yesterday, but I also missed at least 8 too, that's what makes froggin' so much fun.

Posted Sun May 26, 2013 9:18 pm

I have thrown many types of frogs , I watch shows on tv where they said trim the legs on the frogs just a bit , I went 4 finger length and never miss a hit. All ways use braided line for my frogs.
My fav's the V&M Bull Frogs and the Sizmic Sassy Toads both are soft plastic frogs .

Posted Wed May 29, 2013 10:27 pm

I also miss many strikes with frogs. An alternative that has worked well is to use a large, paddle-tail swim bait. I rig it on a 4/0 or 5/0 hook with the point just buried to keep it weedless. With no weight added, it makes a good fuss on surface and produces a better hook-set ratio.

Posted Thu May 30, 2013 4:29 am

I suck Exclamation Laughing Threw the Spro frog for a couple of hours this a.m. The bites were there, probably had at least 25 strikes. I landed none of them Exclamation Even the few that I thought I had hooked, weren't. I have no problem with the buzzfrog or salad spoon but for some reason I just can't hook them on the soft body. Was still fun trying, even though quite frustrating Exclamation

Posted Thu May 30, 2013 12:28 pm

I count to 3, as the number will be 3, not 2 and not 4 , but 3, 1 less than number 4, or one more than number 2,. 3 shall be the number, 2 less from the number 5, or 2 above the number 1, but never over 3> pass the holy handgrenade

Posted Thu May 30, 2013 1:22 pm

very nice ffbass. lol.

Posted Thu May 30, 2013 2:41 pm

Posted Thu May 30, 2013 3:34 pm

Have to get the timing down, but it's the most rewarding bait to throw once you get the hang of it

I will admit the smaller Koppers Jr. has produced more missed hits than the larger ones, I do believe the larger hooksize is the factor. The smaller hooks just don't seem to be able to penetrate enough for a solid hookset.

Posted Thu May 30, 2013 4:28 pm

I was at a local pond today and was throwing a booyah pad crasher and ended up only hooking up with a little less than half of the bass that smoked it. I had some insane blow ups with a couple big ones that smacked it, but just kept missing. Wasn't doing anything different from what i'd normally do. Point being is don't always blame yourself for not hooking up to some frog fish. Sometimes they just don't take it down like you'd think... Even when you get big bass blow ups...

Posted Thu May 30, 2013 4:36 pm

in my experience with frogs ive had to use a trailer hook but they now make one specificly for topwater frogs so that they dont tangle as mentioned in a prior reply, and i also use the live target and the trailor fits both sizes they offer w/o affecting boyancee and actually gives an eyes up presentation to it

Posted Thu May 30, 2013 5:08 pm

One Mississippi.......Two Mississippi........SET THE HOOK

Posted Thu May 30, 2013 5:33 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links