Spot Pond in stoneham is one of my favorite places. Earlier this year I had some great success. My brother got a nice 5 lber and got the biggest bass of my life 10 lbs! Followed a week later by another nice 5 lber. This was in mid may. When I have returned there recently (all of july) the fishing has been very slow. There are some great bass in this pond and I know from personal experience, But I need some advice on how to fish a lake like this at this time of year. The pond is a deep pond, very rocky and is loaded with crayfish. In may i was whacking em dead with jigs and tube baits. Any info on how to fish a pond like this at this time would be great.

Posted Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:37 pm

have a pic of the 10 pounder ? I used to like spot and indeed there are big bass there but it is very tough fishing.

I find on very hot days over 90 the big Bass tend to come closer to shore. I've nailed some 5 lb plus on Jigs in there on hot days.

Like you said its loaded with Crayfish. up by straw point 5 years ago was loaded with bass, you could see hundreds swimming in schools. Last few years its like that area is dead and you dont see anything. That place is stange, I would kill to get my boat in there.
$25 an hour to rent a boat in there. No Thanks !!

Big smallies in there too, took a 4 1/2 out of there.

Posted Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:04 pm

I do have a pic, its on my brother's camera. He is going to bring it over next time he stops by and show me how to get it onto my computer. Yes it is a tough place to fish. I go there planning on losing lures, especially jigs. tubes, and anything else fished on the bottom. Having a boat out there is awesome. You can get to so many great spots that are inaccesible. I brought a small 2 seater crawdad type boat out 3 years ago. At the time we didnt know they weren't allowed. We even went to go launch it at the water treatment place and state police showed up. All they did was tell us we couldn't leave our truck parked in that lot and showed us where to park. So we fished that evening and came back again the next morning. Nothing huge those trips but lots of 2-2.75 lbers and some smallies. I didn't know till last year you couldn't put your own boat in. Some fisherman warned us when we were dropping another friends boat.

Posted Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:09 am

what about lures there for this time of year?

Posted Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:09 am

Try some 7 to 10 inch plastic worms Cool

Posted Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:45 pm

yup, worms and/or jigs & craws - go deeper or flip into the weeds/brush(if there is any)

Posted Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:03 pm

So heavier jigs and heavy wieghts on worms?

Posted Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:18 pm

is this place for real!!!!! is so who wants to go one day with the smokecity team

Posted Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:44 pm

No personal boats Smoke...you can rent one for $25/hr if you want, but that's a little rich for me. I have fished there many times since I moved here, about 2 years ago, and I've only caught 1 fish. it was pretty good size, but its real slow from shore usually. for me at least...its tough because there isn't much cover at all, just rocks along the bottom and deep water. No weeds at all really...

Posted Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:03 pm

Why no mention of a deep diving crank banged off every rock in the place? Crying or Very sad probably a craw pattern too Wink ....the jigs and worms are a good bet too

Posted Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:24 pm

bassmonkey21

So heavier jigs and heavy wieghts on worms?

it totally depends on conditions - sometimes you can get away with 1/8oz, sometimes you need a full ounce. For flipping, heavier is usually better especially if you have to punch thru thick mats(but it sounds like this place isn't very weedy). Deeper water will often call for heavier weights, as will windy conditions. Fluorocarbon and braided lines are more sensitive than mono, so you can effectively use lighter weights... there are lots of factors, and no real 'rules'.

For myself, I'm almost always fishing shallow water(usually 10 ft or less), so I keep 1/8, 1/4, and 1/2 ounce worm weights in my terminal tackle box. For jigs, I use both 1/2oz(for general use) and 1 ounce weights(specifically for flipping).

And like mentioned above, don't forget deep diving crankbaits for deep(er) summer bass, which can often stack up off-shore.

**I'm specifically addressing largemouth bass here, as my smallmouth experience is limited to wading clear rocky streams.

Posted Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:42 pm

Spot has lots of rocks and deep ledge dropoffs. On the 93 side of straw, you can see nice sized bass cruising right off the ledge towards the flats to feed on small shiners and bugs in that area. Throw a popper out over the flats and hold on. On the other side of straw point, where the rocks form a natural point/jetty, the SMB's migrate over there. Water is cooler and darker and much deeper. I've caught SMB's in the 1-3 pound range over there on rapala dt6's and junebug worms with a chartreuse tail reeled aggressively. If you head further down the 93 side of spot, there are submerged boulders not too far off shore that you should fish like vegetation. I've seen nice sized LMB's pulled out on Black worms (senko or finesse) and also on jigs with trailers. Not much on top water on that side. I've had limited success with buzzbaits, but I don't have much confidence fishing those anyhow. If you fish closer to the zoo or water pump side, there are SMB's galore on that end. I've caught them on 1/8 oz metal and jigs with chartreuse grubs. Keep in mind- Spot's water is very clear- if you see the fish, they can see you. Still a tough fishing spot but it is a real pleasant place to fish. Not many bugs, lots of shore access and kind of peaceful.

Posted Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:08 am

heron25

kind of peaceful.

if you don't mind the sounds of trucks and traffic coming from 93, 50 feet from the eastern shoreline, haha!! depends what time you go I suppose, its hard to fish this part of the state without hearing the traffic!

Posted Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:12 pm

cmon Ted- There have been many times fishing from shore where there are a good solid 10-20 seconds of no noise.

If you want a quieter spot, go to the south side and park by quarter mile pond (it's covered with lily pads and looks like a great fishing spot but only has small sunfish and small pickerel) and walk the trail to the south end. There's a giant rock that some potheads smoke out on and it's dead quiet over there. Decent fish also.

Posted Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:53 pm

Quartermile pond has more than sunfish and pickeral, there are big bass in there. The rock you refer to is called Pickeral rock but everyone knows it as turtle rock for obvious reasons. It is where everyone goes to swim as well. Go to the back side of quartermile pond on a hot day and you will see some nice bikinis going by on there way to turtle rock. Smile

Posted Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:17 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links