So I went to BassPro at Patriot Place yesterday to pick up some lead free flippin' jigs. It took a lot of searching to find them because they had them stashed in one of the back aisles and on an endcap.

What surprised me was the amount of lead they are still selling. I am talking about the freshwater side of the store. And I did not see a single sign stating that use of lead weights and jigs was now illegal in Mass.

I realize that it is incumbent upon fisherfolk to know the regulations but we all know that this is the ideal, not the reality. Besides, the goal of the reg is to reduce the amount of toxins we are leaving in our precious fishing resources, not make criminals of those who unwittingly use lead.

Lead is not illegal to sell but I do think BassPro have a responsibility to inform buyers that their purchase, when used for the intended purposes, may be in violation of a state reg. All I'm suggesting is simple signage to help those who may be not be knowledgeable. It's just good corporate citizenship.

Anyway, I think I'm just going to order from Boag Hog next time. Sorry i didn't do it this time but I was in need of immediate gratification.

Posted Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:10 am

IVe noticed a lot of stores still selling lead with nothing saying its illegal i guess they dont have to inform anyone. Which like you said kinda stinks cuz its just dirtying up our fishing waters there is a lot of local guys selling lead free jigs now and some of them are great!

Posted Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:44 am

Boag Hog Baits all the way! Cant go wrong with there jigs!

Posted Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:52 am

meat7gtk

Boag Hog Baits all the way! Cant go wrong with there jigs!

Thanks guys
Just look up my website www.boaghogbaits.com or give me a call.
We will do our best to help you get "lead free guilt free".

Posted Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:00 am

I noticed many month ago when Bass Pro started there "Lead Free" sections of jigs, on the back on the packaging it says "Contains Lead"...whats up with that?

Posted Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:10 am

meat7gtk

I noticed many month ago when Bass Pro started there "Lead Free" sections of jigs, on the back on the packaging it says "Contains Lead"...whats up with that?

Funny enough I'm betting it is the paint..law said no jigs made of lead..but covered in lead is ok lol...

Posted Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:13 am

The jigs the sell work well though I plan to also try the local fair as well. That said a big disappointment was the TPS tungsten jigs were brand new in package with funky colors but a lot of them had broken skirt collars though in a new package.

Posted Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:07 am

Dick's has lead jigs also. No signing that it can not be used in Ma. The saleman that has been in fishing for at least two years at the Dedham store did not know what a tube weight was or bass tube for that matter. He walked me to the surgical tube lures for striped bass. I could not find a lead free tube weight in the store and the sales associate could have cared less. I left my basket with the products I wanted on the counter and walked out.
I miss the tackle stores that are no longer open in the area.

Posted Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:38 pm

I thought the same thing when I saw Dicks selling the umbrella rigs in RI. They did have a sign that referenced the fact you should check your local regulations. I think it should be a bit more specific than that. I have no problems with them selling the stuff. I mean I live in RI but fish MA, CT, NH, etc regularly. If I had a limited selection at BPS because they didnt sell lead I wouldnt appreciate it.

Posted Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:08 pm

The Dick's in Brockton cleared out all the lead awhile ago. Not illegal to sell it, just to use it. It is the responsibility of the fisherman to know the laws Exclamation Laughing

Posted Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:20 pm

Come on Don51 you think it's just fine to sell products that are not legal to use in the state they are being sold in??? No signs to alert the unsuspecting customer? Not everyone that purchases fishing gear knows all the laws...

Posted Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:42 pm

They should notify their customers, but they should not stop selling it. Foxboro is about 20 minutes from RI where it is perfectly legal to use lead weights. Plenty of non MA residents go to BPS and plenty of MA residents fish outside of MA. BPS already suffers enough from the awful gun laws in MA.

Posted Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:38 pm

brazzy, you know as well as I do that the lead is being used in Ma waters. They have overstock and they do not want to lose profits. How many freshwater fisherman are coming from R.I.to buy lead? How many freshwater fisherman live in the smallest state in the country.

Posted Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:06 pm

More than you realize. You are absolutely right about the profits. They have the stuff in stock and people will buy it. They should keep their customers informed but what people do with that information is their choice.

Posted Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:27 pm

The problem is the lack of non lead and the price of tungsen. It's as if all the stores had no idea the law was changing or. Every store that I have shopped has very low stock on lead free weights and jigheads.

Posted Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:16 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links