Anyone else notice bass not striking on senkos so much from shore spots?

I've been using the Berkley Havoc craws instead lately and they have been working like a dream.

If you aren't getting any fish on the senkos, try the craws. They're less than $3 a pack.

Posted Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:50 pm

It's funny, I had the exact opposite thing happen this morning. I was catching fish left and right on Strike King soft plastics all season. This morning, 2 hours, not even a nibble. I switch to a Senko, bam, 3lb 7oz'er (biggest fish all year).

I bet they're just catching on to what's being used in the area. Its time to switch it up. I've got some of those havocs, might not to try em out next time.

Posted Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:54 pm

colors matter.....and that's all I have to say about that Exclamation

Posted Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:36 pm

I hear ya on that Bob. I've had most success using pumpkin, watermelon and baby bass, the more fleks the better.

Posted Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:53 pm

jlev44

I hear ya on that Bob. I've had most success using pumpkin, watermelon and baby bass, the more fleks the better.

Yeah I like those baby bass senkos in 4" model. I bought a 3 pack for $1 at Jims at the end of last season and they worked really well, got me into using Senkos and wacky-riggin'

Posted Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:20 pm

towelie

jlev44

Yeah I like those baby bass senkos in 4" model. I bought a 3 pack for $1 at Jims at the end of last season and they worked really well, got me into using Senkos and wacky-riggin'

I've had good luck whacky rigging senkos (especially the 4") but I find that four or five casts in, the plastic is really starting to wear and tear. Do you guys use o-rings?

Posted Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:55 am

After 4 or 5 casts remove the hook and place it somewhere else. Not far, about a 32nd of an inch, and at a different angle. This will stop you from making an elongated hole that will allow the bait to tear. Don't be afraid of taking a cigarette lighter and melting the tears back-together. When you keep moving the hook placement, you get a little different fall out of the bait each time. This will aid in getting more strikes. TIP There are other baits than senkos that do the same thing. The heavier the bait, the faster the fall. One company makes a bait that looks like green camoflage......Imitates a dying perch really well.....Most lakes have perch right ? Give them a try.

Posted Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:19 pm

I really wanted to stay off the yamomoto senko bandwagon. I tried so hard to convince myself it was just hype. I dont know why...maybe i just want to be different...avoid the mainstream. Maybe there were days it just seemed too easy using them. maybe i just didnt feel like paying 7 bucks for 5 six inch worms that i can blow thru in 1 good day of fishing. Regardless, after quite some time of focusing my energies on using many other soft plastics i keep coming back to the same conclusion....the gary yamomoto senko outfishes most every other soft plastic (generally speaking). Obiviously there are days when they hit just about anything you chuck out there and there are even days when maybe the senko doesnt seem to work and another soft plastic does for some reason. However, when you spend countless hours every season targeting bass and many of those hrs are spent using soft plastics, i think it just becomes clear the senkos are the most consistent and reliable bait out there. there are many days when nothing else will catch fish. the senko is also a bait that is effective all yr long in most any water....even in cold water (november and march for example) when using most any other bait in our arsenal is a waste of time. the frustrating part is that when i finally allowed myself to reach this conclusion i still wanted to believe that another soft stickbait would work the same. ive used the yum dingers and the strike king version of the senko. the movement is similiar but just not quite the same. someone mentioned weight....i am not sure if it is weight or density or material but the senko has a different feel then the others and it just seems to cast better weightless than the others. Sure color can make a difference but I still think if you have a few basic colors like dark green, black, and maybe a dark/deep blue or purple then you are pretty well covered. sorry if i didnt use the technical color names. And yes i like the flecks or specks or whatever you call the glittery stuff in em. sorry for my imprecise terminology. just wanted to share my 2 cents. enjoyed hearing everyones thoughts.

btw- a buddy of mine recently turned me on to the vandam ochos: a soft stickbait similiar to a senko but with a bit different (flattened sides) shape and movememt of the sink is different also. i have been impressed. not quite giving em the same trust as a senko and they do not launch like a missile when casted weightless like a senko but they certainly still seem worth having with you to show the fish a different look if the senkos are having a slow day.

Posted Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:39 am

I was all but convinced you couldn't touch the garys...... threw away all my pro shop series worms, they just don't work for me. Past couple times out, worms have been dead..........

Until we pulled up another walter on them....... My brother in law snagged this one.

Senkos and KVD Square Bills have been my two options this year.

Posted Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:35 pm

towelie

jlev44

I just got some of those baby bass, havent used em yet, looks like I am gonna have to. What is the best way to rig em? Everything I have caught this year was on pumpkin and watermelon. Oh and one red and black rubber.

Posted Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:05 pm

I just got some of those baby bass, havent used em yet, looks like I am gonna have to. What is the best way to rig em? Everything I have caught this year was on pumpkin and watermelon. Oh and one red and black rubber.[/quote]

Wacky Very Happy

Posted Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:29 am

Thank You Smile

Posted Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:50 am

i find wacky style make you get hung up alot, especially on rocky bottoms. Forget fishing the weeds. They get hung up or just don't set down in them.

I have devised my own rigging of senkos which has proven to be effective. I run a 2/0 or 3/0 finesse gap hook down through the head and out the center of the senko, then put the point back into the senko. Kind like Texas style, but the hook is non existent and you almost never get hung up.

Posted Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:30 pm

tallimeca

i find wacky style make you get hung up alot, especially on rocky bottoms. Forget fishing the weeds. They get hung up or just don't set down in them.

I have devised my own rigging of senkos which has proven to be effective. I run a 2/0 or 3/0 finesse gap hook down through the head and out the center of the senko, then put the point back into the senko. Kind like Texas style, but the hook is non existent and you almost never get hung up.

That sounds a lot better. Where I fish is pretty weedy and full of lilly pads that I have lost a lot of tackle on Sad BOOOOO. Haha.

But the "texas rig" has worked for you? Im a girl, I know this, haha but I was gonna put it on like I would a shiner. Thank God I asked. I am sure a few of you are gonna laugh at me for that. Whatever. I am not a seasoned fisher.

Nice pic by the way. That thing is a MONSTER!

Posted Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:46 am

Bass hate Senkos! Everyone , get rid of their senkos. better yet give them to me, i'll get rid of all those useless Yamamoto baits for you.

Posted Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:11 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links