wacky rigging with an o ring is a good way to go if you are fishing some open water and going weedless is not a necessity. However, often when fishing for bass throwing into the vegetation or along the edges of it is a preferred strategy. In this case going weedless is a major advantage. i have found that the best way to rig a senko (or just about any soft plastic) weedless is by using one of the wormhooks with the twistlock screws or pegs. the screw or peg hangs down from the eye of the hook and you can screw it into the head of the worm to hold the worm in place then you just take the hook and put it into the worm once coming from underneath and stopping right before piercing the skin or you can pull it all the way through and then just make sure it is hugging the top side of the worm so a hook point isnt exposed. i find these hooks to be invaluable because unlike a normal texas rig you do not have to run the hook thru the head and then flip it and run it back underneath the worm. it only has to go thru once since the screw or peg is holding the head of the worm into place. make sure if you are fishing a senko that you get the hooks that are not weighted. the senko doesnt need any added weight....the movement is better unweighted. try these hooks and you will learn to love em. i cant fish soft plastics without them now.

Posted Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:15 pm

So until recently, i thought all cigar worms were senkos, but apparently not. I had been using the XPS Stik-O's, and they were pretty good. I bought a pack of Yamamoto Senkos this morning, and wow. They cast twice as far and have much better action!

My only complaint is that they seem a bit fragile. I went through four in an hour of fishing. Bass Pro does have 10 packs for $8.29 now though. Much better than $ for a 5 pack.

I was able to repair the ones I didn't lose.

Posted Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:49 am

jlev44

Bass Pro does have 10 packs for $8.29 now though. Much better than $ for a 5 pack.

Dick's sporting goods has a buy 3 get 1 free this week for all baits. Most of their senko's are in the $7 range for a 10 pack.

Posted Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:29 am

jlev44- believe me, as i was saying in an earlier post, i, like you, wanted to believe there wasnt much difference from one soft stickbait to another. hell, they all look pretty much the same. but the reality is that the yamomoto (sp?) worms are just better. at roughly 7 bucks for a 10 pack they are certainly a couple bucks more then...say....yum dingers or strike kings version and that can add up when your rifling thru one after the other on a good day. Cost aside though, the yamomoto's just have that shimmy down better than any others and like you said they cast much farther.....like a missile being shot out of a cannon. i think they have more weight or are denser...something like that. me personally, i like to fish the 6" senkos weightless with my baitcaster but those are 6.50 for only 5 of them. crazy right??

Posted Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:56 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links