I am new to Massachusetts (transplanted from Vermont) and work in Framingham so I was looking for a good after work spot for fishing. I bought a kayak the other day and went out to Lake Cochituate but I wasn't a huge fan. I caught two small bass and a small pickerel that day on the North Lake and in the small swampy area between North and Middle.

I like quiet places without highways running through it.

I found Heard pond on a map and saw a few pictures of people with decent bass so decided to check it out.

It was overcast, sprinkling rain, and there were periodic heavy gusts of wind but those days are usually when I catch fish to remember.

My first cast was my only fish of the day and man was it a beast. In Vermont a big largemouth bass is 6 pounds and they hardly ever get bigger than that. This fish was 26 inches long and 6lbs by my boga grip scale. I wish I had a digital scale because I think it may have been bigger.

I'm calling this fish "Old Black Lip" because he had a rotten/black lower lip on his right side. I've attached a close up still from the video I took so you can see.

Anyways, I'm sure its probably the biggest fish I'll catch out of that pond but now I'm hooked.

If anyone catches Old Black Lip please post a photo and tell him I said hello.

-VTbassnpike

Posted Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:20 am

nice. i've only caught dinks at that place.

Posted Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:10 am

Man... A 26" bass should weight 8+lbs. She must have had no cheeze. Great catch nonetheless. Grats!!

Posted Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:14 am

Wow, nice work! I've never caught much there, but may have to try again soon.

Not sure how close you are to the Charles River, but I believe you can get in there from Framingham or Natick. There are tons of bass in the Charles.

Posted Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:14 am

I wish I had a digi scale...thanks guys!

Are there bass in the city parts of the Charles river?

Posted Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:00 pm

very nice but I would not go by the length for weight estimate. the fish I have caught in that pond are skinny and not healthy looking.

Posted Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:21 pm

oldfisher

very nice but I would not go by the length for weight estimate. the fish I have caught in that pond are skinny and not healthy looking.

Yeah this fish was really long, but not that fat and it had a wound on its side, and black "rotting" looking lips. Definitely didn't look healthy, but fought healthy.

I'm looking for a good bass pond/lake accessible by Kayak near Framingham if anyone has any suggestions...

Also, I love Northern Pike but it seems by my research that the only good place around here for Pike is Fairhaven Bay on the Concord River.

Posted Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:31 pm

there are several popular places in the area that are open to public fishing...farm pond, ashland reservoir, dug pond etc. you probably won't get honey holes in the area out of people but those places all have nice bass.

check the state maps out. anything listed are all easily accessible.

Posted Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:54 pm

vtbassnpike

oldfisher

Yeah this fish was really long, but not that fat and it had a wound on its side, and black "rotting" looking lips. Definitely didn't look healthy, but fought healthy.

I'm looking for a good bass pond/lake accessible by Kayak near Framingham if anyone has any suggestions...

Also, I love Northern Pike but it seems by my research that the only good place around here for Pike is Fairhaven Bay on the Concord River.

there are pike in stump pond in westboro, I have seen one but never caught any. I think they still get them thru the ice but that place gets pounded.

farm pond in framingham can be good at times for bass, also ashland reservoir, hopkinton reservoir, lake winthrop in holliston.

Posted Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:41 pm

Chauncey in westboro has pike had one almost totally out of the water earlier this yr around 8lbs or so before it sliced my line so they def r still there. Heard of a really nice bass taken out of ash res earlier this yr. Some of these heavily stocked trout lakes produce some nice bass. Only thing with chauncey need to fish early or late in the day. Small lake with tons of pleasure craft yahoos.

Posted Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:55 pm

Give farm pond in framingham a shot. Not to attractive at first glance but holds some large bass. Lock your doors though have had my car rifled threw wile I was fishing before. One side of the pond can be shore fished and gets a lot of pessure but the other side is more wooded. I have had better luck on the wooded side. Good luck

Posted Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:09 pm

bshirley508

Give farm pond in framingham a shot. Not to attractive at first glance but holds some large bass. Lock your doors though have had my car rifled threw wile I was fishing before. One side of the pond can be shore fished and gets a lot of pessure but the other side is more wooded. I have had better luck on the wooded side. Good luck

and stay out of the woods unless your that kind of guy

Posted Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:13 pm

Yup nice bass there but get off lake before dusk lots of shady types hang out around there.

Posted Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:42 pm

vtbassnpike

I wish I had a digi scale...thanks guys!

Are there bass in the city parts of the Charles river?

yes there is bass in there. if you are fishing the charles in the boston fish the bridges, lots of lay downs all along way if you want to fight the current head towards watertown square
jack

Posted Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:19 pm

nice fish. looks like a rough hood i think he got shot

Posted Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:39 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links