Then your threads would be boring

Posted Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:28 pm

shawneramone

stratos1966

samf

i wish i could block you from a thread.

x2

Some of my threads tend to be things of legend!!!

Posted Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:35 pm

stratos1966

shawneramone

stratos1966

samf

i wish i could block you from a thread.

x2

Some of my threads tend to be things of legend!!!

in your own mind

Posted Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:54 pm

i'm surprised bassmaster rich doesn't know the curado I drag. i'm definitely interested b/c they pack a lot into a reel that's under $200.

but lews is definitely quality.

Posted Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:00 pm

samf

i'm surprised bassmaster rich doesn't know the curado I drag. i'm definitely interested b/c they pack a lot into a reel that's under $200.

To be honest I never pay too much attention to what a reel manufacturer says about drag lbs. I know this. Up until the Curado E I never had an issue with drag on a curado. If I wanted zero drag, I tightened it down and that was that. The E and G did have issues but upgrading to Carbonex drag washers solved that. Things like gear ratio and line recovery are what I pay attention to

Posted Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:09 pm

stratos1966

samf

To be honest I never pay too much attention to what a reel manufacturer says about drag lbs. I know this. Up until the Curado E I never had an issue with drag on a curado. If I wanted zero drag, I tightened it down and that was that. The E and G did have issues but upgrading to Carbonex drag washers solved that. Things like gear ratio and line recovery are what I pay attention to

My biggest issue is that there are E's and G's and all other different numbers related to one reel name. Too much work to figure out which one I need

Posted Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:29 pm

Curado's drags are about 12lbs, but I think they are a little bit stronger.

Posted Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:32 pm

I think that 10-12lbs of drag is plenty strong. I also wonder how different manufacturers measure drag. Several abu reels that tackle tour reviewed had measured drag lower than what is advertised. This could be because abu measures drag at an empty spool, and others measure drag at full spool. Just a thought, I've never actually measured out the drags on my reels myself.

I used to have a chronarch 200e, and personally i felt it was smoother than both my lews and abu reels, however I sold it because I couldnt find a way to hold it comfortably.

I find lews to be most comfortable for me, with abu a close second.

On the abu reels I do like the IVCB brakes

I haven't used either of the new shimanos, but the curado seems like a much better deal

Posted Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:22 pm

I'll say that the drag on some of the new abu reels sucks. I have a gen 3 stx and it's on lockdown. I'm sure it's close to 20 lbs. another gen 3 stx is definitely less drag than the other one?

My gen 2 premier and stx are all insanely powerful. I haven't tested exact drag in pounds, but I know i don't even need to max it out to get it to lock in place even when pulling up fish through slop or pulling up heavy brush when getting snagged. You name it. I tested a few of them before with a 10 lb. weight and no doubt it's well above 10-12 lbs.

Yes, 10-12 is plenty for most applications but i will probably be using a new reel for heavy cover or punching so i need as much as possible and a drag system that's consistent and doesn't slip.

Thanks for the feedback. I would say i definitely agree with you although i haven't used a Chronarch 200E. I know Lews is smooth as butter but read about the drag so I'm a little hesitant. I think both Shimano and Abu took a step backwards last year for the most part which is disappointing. The new Curado looks like a great value though so I'm thinking that or the Lews at this point.

I can't get 100% confirmation on the Curado drag. I've been told 10 lbs, 11 lbs, and 15 lbs. I may just call up TW and ask them.

Posted Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:34 pm

I'll also say that it's annoying having to take trade-offs at times. Do I want the lightest reel possible but sacrifice line capacity and drag? Or do I want the most drag possible while trading that for the smooth factor?

I've gotten reels for certain applications after weighing those types pros and cons and then choosing.

Posted Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:42 pm

the only lews I have is the tournament mg which I use almost exclusively for frogging and I've had no problem pulling bass out of lily pads.

Have you considered the lews super duty, that looks like a tough reel with a MSRP at 180, you can probably find it cheaper.

Posted Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:05 pm

i've been looking at all of the lews. i'm sort of thinking of the new BB-1 Speed spool. we will see. i'm not in a rush right now fortunately.

Posted Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:13 pm

I just got my tax refund back, the mgx is screaming my name, or maybe the morrum

Posted Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:27 pm

same here. i'm still on the fence.

Posted Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:03 pm

stratos1966

Can you post a source for your "low drag" on 2 new Shimano reels?

BPS site lists 15 lbs. now i really can't decide.

http://www.basspro.com/Shimano-Curado-I-Baitcast-Reels/product/13112808013242/#desc-tab

Posted Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:10 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links