I have always used mono on all my setup since I was a kid. know over the past decade or so Fireline, Spider Wire, and Power Pro and even Fluorocarbon lines have become very popular, but I have never had issues with mono.

I plan on doing alot more flipping and frogging in the next year, and I know braided line has many advantages in these situations. No stretch, better sensitivity, raw power to cut through lily pad stems. I fished this whole season with 14# test mono, Stren and Trilene XT using plastics and spinnerbaits. I fished around the normal weeds, pads, trees and what have you and never broke a fish off or snapped my line. I did lose a few fish because they would bury themselves in the pads and I couldn't horse them out. I would like to catch these fish next year instead of going home and talking about the one or two that got off. So, what is the heaviest pound test mono you guys would recommend before switching to braid? Or if anyone else is on the side of not using braid, what # test mono could I get away with fishing around heavy cover.

Posted Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:14 pm

It depends on the water clarity and the type of cover you are fishing. When I am flipping to trees I usually use 17 lb floro. i use florocarbon over mono because it has less stretch and harder for the fish to see. But like you said when fishing pads i usuall go with braid. Hope this helps

Posted Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:48 pm

I also use co-polymer 17# unless flipping vegetAtion. Then it's 50# braid! I learned from a badass flipper (sinista) and when he says cross their eyes he's not kidding. It's an adrenalin rush when it's on!

Posted Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:08 pm

I also use co-polymer 17# unless flipping vegetAtion. Then it's 50# braid! I learned from a badass flipper (sinista) and when he says cross their eyes he's not kidding. It's an adrenalin rush when it's on!

Posted Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:09 pm

Braid makes a huge difference you really need it when frogging.

Posted Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:37 pm

Why not try braid? It's the right tool for the job in heavy cover.

Posted Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:42 pm

shawneramone

Why not try braid? It's the right tool for the job in heavy cover.

Posted Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:46 pm

guess i'll be giving it a shot. how much backing do you guys usually use?

Posted Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:55 am

jwo1124

guess i'll be giving it a shot. how much backing do you guys usually use?

I fill about 1/2 the spool with mono first. I bought a 1000 yd roll of cheap mono at Dick's on clearance for like 3 bucks. That's my filler line.

Posted Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:06 am

I don't use alot. It's basically to reduce slipping when you get down near the spool. maybe 1/3 of spool or less. But i also don't fill my reel entirely. I leave about 1/8 in from top of spool. The more line the easier it is to backlash.
Good luck

Posted Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:15 am

I don't use alot. It's basically to reduce slipping when you get down near the spool. maybe 1/3 of spool or less. But i also don't fill my reel entirely. I leave about 1/8 in from top of spool. The more line the easier it is to backlash.
Good luck

Posted Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:16 am

As jwall said, I also only use enough mono to cover the spool because it's just there to prevent slipping, so maybe 10 yards.

Posted Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:52 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. Next year I'll be yanking those bass from the pads.

Posted Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:44 am

20lb Mono flipping in clear water

50+lb braid in dirty water

Very Happy

Posted Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:09 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links