I had three uncles that taught me to fish. Uncle John1 was an avid sportsmen. I learned how to fly fish and bass fish with him in local ponds and streams. He had a cottage on North Pond in Milford/Hopkinton that he would bring myself and some friends to on the weekends where we would fish from sunrise to sunset. Uncle John was related to the Ferucci's that owned a pig farm in Mendon. He and I (I was around 10 at the time) would drive his car into the middle of a pig pen and when the pigs would stop rubbing on the car and shaking it we could get some shots off at some birds he use to hunt. Can't remember what they were but he was a good chef (cooked the Marnja Marnja Club) and they were pretty good eats.

My Uncle Ed lived on lake Nipmuc and he was an avid bass angler .... he taught me how to use a good selection of lures and when to use what. In those days that lake use to really produce. He also use to bring me fishing at Whitehall and in the late 60's that place was a great fishery and very remote.

My Uncle John2 was a Navy commander and a very cool guy. He would spend time at Lake Nipmuc as well and it was there that he taught me how to jig for frogs. We would catch them by the bag fulls and always enjoyed the feeds we would have. Not sure if that is considered fishing but we did use fishing rods. lol He would also bring me to some private trout ponds located on Clarence Varney's farm land in Mendon.

In the early 70's myself and 7 of my buddies chipped in and bought a good size tent. For years we would use that tent to go on camping/fishing trips to so many different places varying from Mastrianni's Pond off 85 in Milford (including sneaking up to Echo lake) to different ponds down the cape and in NH. I guess this may have reduced the trouble we use to get in but not much.

Tate

Posted Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:05 pm

My Father definately got me started on fishing before I was 10. We would vacation in NH on Lake Waukewan and I remember started off fishing from the dock for sunfish, perch and the occasional bass. One day we were throwing bread in the water to feed the ducks and we saw a giant bass slowly lurking the area.....I immediately grabbed my rod and started casting. Although I didn't catch it....the site of that monster definately got me hooked on fishing. My Dad shared some stories and techniques that worked for him when he was a Kid, but similar to how he raised me in general....he gave me enough information to get started and then allowed me to learn on my own and figure out if it was something that I enjoyed. I would bring a journal to NH in my early teens to document the number and size of the fish I was catching. My Dad and I would go out on calm nights and catch smallmouths and largemouths jitterbugging- some of my best memories growing up. I continued to fish and learn different strategies until I was about 15 and then my focus shifted to golf. I played golf competitively in High School and College which took up most of my spare time.

It wasn't until about 4 four years ago when I rented a house for a couple years on North Pond AKA Maspy that I was truly hooked on angling. I started getting bigger fish and more quantity which always left me wanted to go back out for more. I learned a lot and joined MAFF in 2009, and haven't looked back since. My wife Jen and I bought a house off Lake Boone a couple years ago and we have enjoyed being together on the water- she has a knack for landing quality bass. I also fish regularly with my Dad, Napa AKA Arrogance, Chuck the Landlord and my wife's Dad. I love the feeling of being on the water and the anticipation of the next bite and what it will bring. My Father has taught me a significant amount of stuff about life and values and I'm very fortunate to pass on some of my knowledge back to him....most of the time it's when were on the pond or golf course.

My goal is to continue to enjoy life. Fishing is a big part of it because it connects me to many important people in my life and it's the one of the best places for me to go to find peace. Someday I hope to land a Giant Bass in the 10 lb range and I'm sure it will happen as long as I keep putting lines in the water.

Posted Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:16 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links