I would be down to help as much as i can

Posted Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:38 pm

Very cool thread indeed!

Where to begin? Grab a coffee, sit back and relax. Well I never got a chance to fish with my dad (or do anything for that matter that I remember) as a lot of you were fortunate to have done. He and mom divorced when I was about 5 or 6. We didn't have a lot, but were not poor. What we did have plenty of was family. My Grandfather lived about a block and a half from my house, so I spent most of my youth over there, while my mom worked. My mom was one of eleven kids and a lot of them lived at home still back in those days. A few of my uncles were into fishing. I'd watch them go and talk about fishing different bodies of water close by with one another and other family members. They kept their tackle and fishing rods in the trunks of their cars, always at the ready to go. I remember watching them sort through their tackle boxes and they had so many different types of lures, I was curious. I'd ask them "What does this lure do?" and "What does that lure do?" One of my uncles (Uncle Charlie) definitely had a better idea than some of the others, so I paid attention to him the most. When I became old enough where I could fend for myself and wasn't a pest, my uncles would take me fishing.

I'd go fishing with one uncle who while he would take me, he wasn't as interested in catching fish as he was relaxing on a chair and listening to music. We'd get a dozen shiners and go fishing for panfish. When we'd catch one, he'd step on it (just enough to get leverage) to take the hook out. They always swam away, so he was gentle enough, but to this day we make fun of him for being such a wuss back then! That uncle actually gave me the first fishing apparatus (notice I didn't say rod), which was.......are you ready for it....... a Popeil "Pocketfisherman". When I had to come up with a name on another fishing forum, it made sense and has stuck on the few boards I belong to! Eventually that pocketfisherman broke and my Uncle Charlie gave me a Zebco rod for one of my birthdays and let me use/keep one of his rods he had. I remember it was a custom built rod from "Fishing Finatics" in Everett, paired with a Mitchell 300 reel. He started taking me more and more and I graduated from the panfish to the bass fishing soon enough. I subscribed to Bassmasters and Field & Stream magazines. My Uncle Charlie also was into salt water fishing. We used to buy sea worms and catch buckets full of flounder by the Schrafts building in Charlestown and North End. Uncle Charlie got me started more seriously, but my confidence and any skills (as little as they may be) were learned on my own or with my cousin Karl (Kman) along the way. We always knew there was much more than our uncles knew and are still learning nowadays.

Karl lived in another city, but our mothers are sisters and very close to each other. I spent a lot of time at Karl's house too growing up. He had the luxury of living around the corner from a small pond. We'd dig up earthworms in his yard, take some cheese from his refrigerator and go fishing at that pond. We'd catch catfish, sunfish, the occasional perch and one of the biggest alligator snapping turtles I ever saw up until a few years ago, aptly named "Big Alice" by the locals. A quick growl and snap of her jaws and my hook was cut in two, yikes!

Over the years, Karl and I (and I don't mean to talk for him, this is from my point of view) fished more and more together, honing our skills and developing a better appreciation of the sport and our environment. We bought a two-man boat and have been having a blast catching fish together after many years. The next step is to buy a bigger bass boat and take it to the next level, but we'll always have fun regardless of the place, type or trail we are fishing on.

Thanks for reading and believe it or not, this is the short version! Shocked

Posted Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:50 pm

I grew up in Stoughton Ma on Ames pond and would fish daily from my Dad's twelve foot V hull. The summers I'd spend time with my grandparent's in Falmouth and fish for Trout with my grandfather.
I then found girls in my teen's and got away from fishing until my mid twenty's. I'm now 51 and have had several boats and can't get enough of it!

Posted Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:56 am

pocketfisherman

Very cool thread indeed!

Where to begin? Grab a coffee, sit back and relax. Well I never got a chance to fish with my dad (or do anything for that matter that I remember) as a lot of you were fortunate to have done. He and mom divorced when I was about 5 or 6. We didn't have a lot, but were not poor. What we did have plenty of was family. My Grandfather lived about a block and a half from my house, so I spent most of my youth over there, while my mom worked. My mom was one of eleven kids and a lot of them lived at home still back in those days. A few of my uncles were into fishing. I'd watch them go and talk about fishing different bodies of water close by with one another and other family members. They kept their tackle and fishing rods in the trunks of their cars, always at the ready to go. I remember watching them sort through their tackle boxes and they had so many different types of lures, I was curious. I'd ask them "What does this lure do?" and "What does that lure do?" One of my uncles (Uncle Charlie) definitely had a better idea than some of the others, so I paid attention to him the most. When I became old enough where I could fend for myself and wasn't a pest, my uncles would take me fishing.

I'd go fishing with one uncle who while he would take me, he wasn't as interested in catching fish as he was relaxing on a chair and listening to music. We'd get a dozen shiners and go fishing for panfish. When we'd catch one, he'd step on it (just enough to get leverage) to take the hook out. They always swam away, so he was gentle enough, but to this day we make fun of him for being such a wuss back then! That uncle actually gave me the first fishing apparatus (notice I didn't say rod), which was.......are you ready for it....... a Popeil "Pocketfisherman". When I had to come up with a name on another fishing forum, it made sense and has stuck on the few boards I belong to! Eventually that pocketfisherman broke and my Uncle Charlie gave me a Zebco rod for one of my birthdays and let me use/keep one of his rods he had. I remember it was a custom built rod from "Fishing Finatics" in Everett, paired with a Mitchell 300 reel. He started taking me more and more and I graduated from the panfish to the bass fishing soon enough. I subscribed to Bassmasters and Field & Stream magazines. My Uncle Charlie also was into salt water fishing. We used to buy sea worms and catch buckets full of flounder by the Schrafts building in Charlestown and North End. Uncle Charlie got me started more seriously, but my confidence and any skills (as little as they may be) were learned on my own or with my cousin Karl (Kman) along the way. We always knew there was much more than our uncles knew and are still learning nowadays.

Karl lived in another city, but our mothers are sisters and very close to each other. I spent a lot of time at Karl's house too growing up. He had the luxury of living around the corner from a small pond. We'd dig up earthworms in his yard, take some cheese from his refrigerator and go fishing at that pond. We'd catch catfish, sunfish, the occasional perch and one of the biggest alligator snapping turtles I ever saw up until a few years ago, aptly named "Big Alice" by the locals. A quick growl and snap of her jaws and my hook was cut in two, yikes!

Over the years, Karl and I (and I don't mean to talk for him, this is from my point of view) fished more and more together, honing our skills and developing a better appreciation of the sport and our environment. We bought a two-man boat and have been having a blast catching fish together after many years. The next step is to buy a bigger bass boat and take it to the next level, but we'll always have fun regardless of the place, type or trail we are fishing on.

Great write up Roger !

Posted Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:47 pm

I need sit at the computer for this one, too much to type on my phone, ill revisit this post tomorrow

Posted Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:49 pm

I started out fishing when i was 3 years old my dad was the one who really influence me. he would take me out every weekend when i was young to small ponds around cape and just spend the whole day from dusk till dawn paddling around making casts. when i was 10 i fished a little fishing derby and ended up placing 2nd with a 1.25 pound bass. i lived a bout a mile and a half away from a pond and the ocean so pretty much from when i was old enough to ride my bike i would take off after school and fish until till dark either catching either schoolie stripers or largies. I have ADHD which sucked going through school and still sucks in college but there are two things that help me relax one is fishing and the sound of an engine. my mom still wonder how i can stand and fish for 4 hours and not move or speak through out the time and i really dont know i just love fishing i find a way to fish almost every day some way or another fishing has become a part of me and always will be. I know im only 19 but im still dreaming that one day ill be able to say i have caught one of every trophy fish in the world.

Posted Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:36 pm

sinista

pocketfisherman

Very cool thread indeed!

Great write up Roger !

Thanks Neil. That truly was the short version, as I'm sure you can relate. I could probably fill a whole page of how it all began and progressed. And so the story continues.........................

Posted Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:50 pm

i am very glad to see people telling there stories part of the reason i posted this was to learn a little about you all and to show that fishing is not only a hobby but a way of life it is a healer for some not just a sport a way to remember and a way to move on it is also a way for us to bond with each other and our loved ones so don't ever let anything take it away from you or knock it keep sharing what make you who you are

Posted Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:22 pm

First off I think this is about the coolest thread Ive seen thus far on the site.

Here we go, grew up about 2 blocks from the South Watuppa Boat ramp, as a kid I was always in the woods catching snakes, frogs turtles if it was alive I could catch it. I had a baby Eastern Diamond Back rattler as a pet that I caught in a sand pit in Rhode Island when I was 8 (Crocodile Hunter didnt have sh*t on me) I was taught the ways of the Ocean by my Grandfather Westy, he always had a boat always had time to take me fishing, I love the man, he is still around and this upcoming season Im getting out for a Captain Johns trip whether he likes it or not.

As far as Bass Fishing goes, a friend on mine's dad took me and his son to the Watuppa boat ramp every Sunday morning rain or shine, he would buy us 5 or 6 dozens shiners and a hand full of the biggest bobbers Buckos Bait and Tackle had.

He would buy him self a case of 22 oz Naragansett tall boy cans and sit at the ramp with 4 or 5 of his friends and clean 55 gallon trash barrels of Tautog they caught on their Saturday Salt water trips.

Man, back then the yellow perch in the watuppa were the size of bass today, honest to god Ive seen em close to 3 lbs, we would catch fish after fish after fish, the small mouth were abundant as well, thanks to the 3rd world community the pond sucks today

From then to now not much has changed as far as my love for fishing goes, a few serious years of bumps in the road, a few years in prison here and there, lol, but never lost the passion to fish.

I want to thank Buff for posting this topic, Im sitting in my office with a giant smile of my face, reliving all those child hood moments spent with people I loved on the water, the memories are vivid, crystal clear, like they just happened a minute ago, life is good, real good, flash forward 30 some odd years and Im still on the water with a bunch of kids in grown up bodies, chasing the fish of their dreams and having a blast doing it.

NO HOMO! I love you guys, lol, looking forward to many more years of good times and great fish stories!!!!!

Gotta go, I have lives to save!!!! CYA!

Posted Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:24 am

sinista

First off I think this is about the coolest thread Ive seen thus far on the site.

Here we go, grew up about 2 blocks from the South Watuppa Boat ramp, as a kid I was always in the woods catching snakes, frogs turtles if it was alive I could catch it. I had a baby Eastern Diamond Back rattler as a pet that I caught in a sand pit in Rhode Island when I was 8 (Crocodile Hunter didnt have sh*t on me) I was taught the ways of the Ocean by my Grandfather Westy, he always had a boat always had time to take me fishing, I love the man, he is still around and this upcoming season Im getting out for a Captain Johns trip whether he likes it or not.

As far as Bass Fishing goes, a friend on mine's dad took me and his son to the Watuppa boat ramp every Sunday morning rain or shine, he would buy us 5 or 6 dozens shiners and a hand full of the biggest bobbers Buckos Bait and Tackle had.

He would buy him self a case of 22 oz Naragansett tall boy cans and sit at the ramp with 4 or 5 of his friends and clean 55 gallon trash barrels of Tautog they caught on their Saturday Salt water trips.

Man, back then the yellow perch in the watuppa were the size of bass today, honest to god Ive seen em close to 3 lbs, we would catch fish after fish after fish, the small mouth were abundant as well, thanks to the 3rd world community the pond sucks today

From then to now not much has changed as far as my love for fishing goes, a few serious years of bumps in the road, a few years in prison here and there, lol, but never lost the passion to fish.

I want to thank Buff for posting this topic, Im sitting in my office with a giant smile of my face, reliving all those child hood moments spent with people I loved on the water, the memories are vivid, crystal clear, like they just happened a minute ago, life is good, real good, flash forward 30 some odd years and Im still on the water with a bunch of kids in grown up bodies, chasing the fish of their dreams and having a blast doing it.

NO HOMO! I love you guys, lol, looking forward to many more years of good times and great fish stories!!!!!

Neil couldnt of said it better my self. Finding this place was like finding a bunch kids who all loved fishing, just with bigger and better toys to take on the water.

Posted Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:34 am

biggz53

sinista

Neil couldnt of said it better my self. Finding this place was like finding a bunch kids who all loved fishing, just with bigger and better toys to take on the water.

perfectly put!

Posted Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:12 pm

sinista

Here we go, grew up about 2 blocks from the South Watuppa Boat ramp, as a kid I was always in the woods
NO HOMO! I love you guys, lol,
!

Wait...... What??? Laughing

Posted Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:59 pm

stratos1966

sinista

Here we go, grew up about 2 blocks from the South Watuppa Boat ramp, as a kid I was always in the woods
!

Only you Rich! Only you!!!

Posted Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:23 pm

sinista

stratos1966

sinista

!

Only you Rich! Only you!!!

I could write a book on what I have seen go in and come out of those woods at Watuppa

Posted Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:27 pm

well ive been fishing my whole life. thanks to my dad and my grandfather i was introduced to this great sport real early. at age 4 i cought my first actually good sized bass. ever since then ive been trying to find the fish of my life. the one i can talk about to my daughter when she gets older. lately thought ive been fishing more because last year my grandfather passed away due to diabetes and not much longer my dad who was an alcoholic died of a drug overdose. so i fish because it makes me feel like im with them fishing like i was when i was a little one.

Posted Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:27 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links