Willy68, you are a prophet Very Happy

Posted Thu May 09, 2013 8:31 am

Holy smokes that's a bundle o'fish, looks like a great day. I've yet to fish there, is it just shore casting or are boats allowed? I bet your thumbs were rubbed to the point of raw from lipping those donkeys.

Posted Thu May 09, 2013 12:32 pm

pdubya

Holy smokes that's a bundle o'fish, looks like a great day. I've yet to fish there, is it just shore casting or are boats allowed? I bet your thumbs were rubbed to the point of raw from lipping those donkeys.

Thanks. Wachusett has some very strict rules, I suggest to anyone fishing there for the first time to review them as more there is illegal than legal. Boats are not allowed. Wading is not allowed. Dogs are not allowed.
http://www.mass.gov/dcr/watersupply/watershed/wachfish.htm#prohibit

Last edited by tunameltdown on Thu May 09, 2013 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Thu May 09, 2013 12:46 pm

Excellent advise and appreciate the link. Last question for you, how packed was it? Did you have enough room to wonder the shore line?

Posted Thu May 09, 2013 1:05 pm

pdubya

Excellent advise and appreciate the link. Last question for you, how packed was it? Did you have enough room to wonder the shore line?

Yes, only crossed paths with MAfishfinders own Willy while out there. There is miles of shoreline to fish there.

Posted Thu May 09, 2013 1:30 pm

tunameltdown

Sean, spent 3 hours fishing the exact spots we fished on Saturday and got skunked yesterday. Mother Chu can be a b****.

Frogs are matting. They are everywhere riding each other. There are tadpoles in shallow weeds as well. The sign tells the water temperature is at least 60 up to 68. Frogs matting in that temperature rang. I am guessing 65F. This year the spring is short. The temperature came up very quickly. All trees turned green in one week. I am think the smallmouth bass is pretty much done spawning. There are no visible nest in Chu we can see (there is no way we can see fishing from bank). Given gin clear water condition, especially the big ones, they prefer spawn in deeper water. So, the next week or two will be tough bank fishing post spawn period.

Posted Fri May 10, 2013 9:24 am

Frogs are matting. They are everywhere riding each other. There are tadpoles in shallow weeds as well. The sign tells the water temperature is at least 60 up to 68. Frogs matting in that temperature rang. I am guessing 65F. This year the spring is short. The temperature came up very quickly. All trees turned green in one week. I am think the smallmouth bass is pretty much done spawning. There are no visible nest in Chu we can see (there is no way we can see fishing from bank). Given gin clear water condition, especially the big ones, they prefer spawn in deeper water. So, the next week or two will be tough bank fishing post spawn period.

Great info, thx for sharing!

Posted Fri May 10, 2013 11:45 am

Perfect! When I get back from vacation it will be fishing time!

Posted Fri May 10, 2013 7:09 pm

What about other waters?I fish the Sud Res alot which has some streams from The Chu that run into it.Same rules as Chu.Can't see any nests from shore and have only caught 2 smallies.Wondering where they all are.Spots I caught them last yr no where to be found though water was real low because of dam work being done.When do the smallies come in close and how long do they stay?This cold spring straight to summer has really screwed things up.

Posted Sat May 11, 2013 8:07 pm

Great job. The kind of day you hope to have every time you go !!!

Posted Sat May 11, 2013 8:12 pm

I was going to go hit the Chu today but since its a bit of a hike from here and dank weather, going local. I'll get out there one of these days.

Posted Sun May 12, 2013 8:13 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links