How much does the daily temperature change affect bass and their habits? I know season obviously affect it tremendously, but since summer is slowly winding down and the days get cooler earlier, does the bite really shut off when the temperature fluctuates like 2-5 degrees? Or do the fish just move deeper? That comes into my next question, are Bass that tend to hold deeper sometimes to begin with like in kettle ponds etc get affected by the air's temperature change through out the day as much as well? Or can you fish deeper when the temp/weather changes and still have consistent strikes? I know this probably depends on the location ie: depth, structure etc; but I am talking about like just as general overall behavior affect.

Posted Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:39 pm

good question. i think since its getting cooler out. the bass will move back shallow untill the winter. water and air temps are high. i believe the bass are deeper.
but i cant prove that cuz i havent been able to set up a pattern.
fishing has been slow for me. with an occasional decent bass but lots of dinks

Posted Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:43 am

I've found that recently the weather has caused some weird activity in the bass population. I caught a nice bass in deeper water (10') and another nice one right off shore (<2') within 5 minutes of each other in the middle of the day. The water temps are still pretty much the same (low to mid 70's) so I think most of the big guys are hanging deep or hiding in cover during the day, especially if the sun is beating down. But I think they come out into more shallow water earlier in the afternoon to feed now. I can get good top water shallow action at 6pm now instead of having to wait until 7 or later.

I don't know that's just what I've seen. It could be different for every lake.

Posted Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:44 pm

ive been catching alot of dinks with occasonal 1.5 lbser nothing big recently. im having trouble getting bites and bass. cant setup a pattern

ive been throwing my black blue finesse jig to cover. i know i can always get a fish on it. thats been my go to lure. i mangage a few bites and one or 2 fish. its better then not getting a fish or bass

but i got wait till the water cools down to start catching numbers and big bass again

Posted Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:01 pm

themasterg

I've found that recently the weather has caused some weird activity in the bass population. I caught a nice bass in deeper water (10') and another nice one right off shore (<2') within 5 minutes of each other in the middle of the day. The water temps are still pretty much the same (low to mid 70's) so I think most of the big guys are hanging deep or hiding in cover during the day, especially if the sun is beating down. But I think they come out into more shallow water earlier in the afternoon to feed now. I can get good top water shallow action at 6pm now instead of having to wait until 7 or later.

I don't know that's just what I've seen. It could be different for every lake.

I agree.. weird the way they are acting lately.. finding them spread all over the ponds.... caught most of them deep this weekend.. water wasnt to hot.. then an hr later.. they started hitting at the shallows.. all different sizes all different locations.. cant get figure them out at all, so i've just been throwing everything in every location..

Posted Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:13 pm

I appreciate the feedback from everyone, and yes that's exactly what I experienced today. Bass spread out everywhere, and honestly not where you'd expect them at all. I fished the usual go to spots on my local honey hole. ie: humps/dips/drop offs/logs etc, mostly shallow water (shallower than 10 feet) and the fish were no where to be found. I switched it up and moved across the pond to the opposite side and started adjacent to the shoreline but in deeper water with a not-so prevalent bottom comp, depths at least 17-20 feet, and surprisingly that's where I got my first hits. Landed 4 bass within 15 minutes of each other in deep water that has no bottom contour what so ever, it's a relatively flat bottom consistency where I was fishing. Idk if I was lucky and got into a few fish just cruising on the bottom, or if they're just holding deep because of the recent weird weather and outside temps.

Posted Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:38 pm

they are suspending. could be for bait or unstable weather/water conditions

Posted Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:31 am

my ponds i fish are less then 10 feet. so im having dificulty setting up a pattern. but i manage 1 or 2 fish. mainly on jigs.

Posted Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:32 am

I've been catching the bigger bass hanging under cover. Low hanging tree branches,shrubbery or heavy pads that don't get as much sun during the day. The dinks are out in force this time of year.

Posted Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:00 am

Yup just recently caught some nice bass but weeks b4 all dinks even in cover. Largest was caught straight out open water no visible cover around 7:30 ish in the eve so theory of them cruisin in earlier toward shallows could be correct.

Posted Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:56 pm

I went to a good size pont the other day, about 250 acre. Half the pond has a max depth of 8 feet, the other half is about 22 feet deep. I caught bass under docks in only a couple feet of water and also caught them out in the middle suspending around 15 feet deep. No rhyme or reason that I could figure, just all over the place. Though my largest bass was cought out deep.

Posted Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:46 pm

i caught a decent bass bout a 1lbser near some matted weed. i was using a texas rigged hula grub near the surface. came right up and smacked it,

i love that pond i never get skunked there

Posted Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:38 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links