admittedly I have not done a ton of frog fishing. I am no stranger to top water fishing at all. I just want a frog for those places other top water lures cant get to.
Not looking for techniques, just opinions on colors and brand frogs. I'm sure this has been talked about before but lets talk about it again. Frog Valpey I know you have something to say.

Posted Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:00 pm

thought you frogged all the time??

Spro Dean Rojas Bronzeye Frog - black, natural, green pumpkin

Koppers Live Target Hollow Body Frog - same sort of color schemes although i've been doing very well on the Black / Tan which is like a black and gold bottom.

Posted Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:16 pm

Nope not me Sam. Of course I have thrown them here and there but its never been my thing. I threw one last week that was tied on to Rogers rod. I thought the color scheme was crazy and it seemed the bass did too. Yesterday my neighbor had a rod hanging out of his pickup and he had an all black body and black strands Spro looking frog. It looks nice and I am sure s deadly at night. I want realistic colors and maybe even a leopard frog pattern. I may be over thinking the color thing. I want guys with real world results as far as colors not ideology's and theories.

I know you have done great with frogs Sam and appreciate the input.

edit: I have thrown horny toads a ton but I hardly ever use them on the surface. So I guess I am asking about hollow body frog colors.

Posted Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:27 pm

I almost always throw all black bottom or light bottom with some yellow/gold/tan type color.

Admittedly I dont buy many other patterns because of the confidence I have in those.

Its all about the belly and legs, bass will never see the top of it.

Posted Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:38 pm

There making more and more ridiculous colors for frogs. I wouldn't overthink it too much. Fish the colors closest to ones you prefer.

If i had to pick three colors though it would be

1. Black with a combo of any natural color excluding red

2. Natural Green/Bullfrog Whatever you want to call it.

3. Brown

Although I've had success on colors that resemble baitfish like shad frog.. IMO it doesn't probably matter that much unless the BOW is getting pounded with hollowbodys. Then i would go with the wacky colors no one else is throwing

Posted Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:16 pm

I stick with greens and browns

Posted Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:35 pm

i got brown,black,yellow,clown. i havent fished frogs all that much this year.

last year it was kvd brown, and live target yellow

also a big fan of live target mouse

Posted Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:01 pm

I fish the natural colors greens and browns, that's the colors I have confidence in.
I think in stained water some bright colors would work great, I need to purchase some funky colors for the Charles River...

Posted Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:23 pm

Koppers Live target

Black on black

Brown back white belly

Green back yellow belly

Posted Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:44 pm

what these guys are saying.

color is overrated at times. forget about the cool patterns on top. they don't really matter. i tend to throw all black or the putty black spro to add some brown to the legs and break up the solid color. day, night, sunny, cloudy...it's just something they can see easily. it gives me confidence since i know they can see it in the thickest of cover.

Posted Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:20 pm

i have to agree with sam! ive been abusing the koppers live targets, green and brown white bottom yellow and black white bottom, and a brownish toad looking color also white bottom! i bought these three about two weeks ago and have had sucess in most lakes, and the craziest thing is they get hit any time of day! and there basically destroyed already! but they have been hit dozens of times in those two weeks! theyre actually pretty rugged! highly recommended!

Posted Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:11 pm

brown and white koppers live target killed em today. ask shawn.

Posted Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:10 pm

I got live updates that Sam was killing them. No surprise at that place, Pity Shawn ruined it. lol I kid I kid.

Posted Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:02 pm

LOL I did ruin it!!! F'n Boats and senkos everywhere.

Posted Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:44 pm

I frog fish every time i go out.. primarily.. caught the most on black and yellow swirl zoom horny toads.. but it depends on the clarity of the water.. muddy stained or cloudy water, try a chartruse footed zoom.. as for hollow body.. caught most of mine on live targets bullfrog.. new out last year.. and some on the black/brown with white and yellow belly, i forget what it's called. you have to have a variety in your box to through.. depends on the pond/time of day/clarity of water/weather.. i usually through every color including the hard to find tomato red.. once i catch one i use that color for a while.. then start throwing them all again.. if it's windy try the spro.. splash that water like there's no tomorrow.. gotta let them know your there.. good luck

Posted Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:33 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links