Looking into getting a new soft plastic and jig rod this weekend. Im looking for something to use to flip into bushes, and light cover, skip into cover and docks. Length I am not so sure about I have a 6'8 and am thinking of going to a 7', but havent really been able to decide.

Any one have any suggestions with their past experiences? Im looking in the $100-$150 range. Ive gone through and reviewed the Veritas, Crucial, Rage but wanted to get some added opinion in there from the folks I trust.

Posted Tue May 28, 2013 11:48 am

Had vendetta 7' H w/no issues except didn't like telescoping handle section. It never did anything wrong i just wasn't a fan.
Crucial is great too.
I'd go 7' MH depending on your style.

I'm throwing jigs and plastics with my 14yr old castaway mh 6'10"
with no issue.

I'm grabbing a shimana cumara now or st croix legend.
The feel is incredible on these!

Posted Tue May 28, 2013 11:54 am

I have a 6'6 st croix mojo that does this job very well. The shorter rod is easier in tight

Posted Tue May 28, 2013 11:59 am

the one i was using is a Kistler Helium LTA. It's 6'9" MH / Fast. It's very sensitive and has a really good flex. i was practicing my skipping and it's a lot easier for me with a shorter rod. the kistler is in a much higher price point range but you're more than welcome to check it out and use it to see how you like it. i'll probably be switching over to dobyns or loomis eventually and selling it.

Posted Tue May 28, 2013 12:06 pm

Thanks for the responses so far. I'm thinking possibly stick with a 6'8 but going a bit stouter for flipping to the bushes and what not

Posted Tue May 28, 2013 12:12 pm

Bobby, in your price range the 7'2" medium heavy extra fast Crucial is going to be hard to beat. The new model is built with the old Cumara blank and comes with a lifetime replacement warr. AWESOME ROD for that price

Posted Tue May 28, 2013 12:23 pm

biggz53

Thanks for the responses so far. I'm thinking possibly stick with a 6'8 but going a bit stouter for flipping to the bushes and what not

The Powell Max might be a good option.

I just got one of their spinning rods and love it.

Posted Tue May 28, 2013 12:24 pm

Can't beat lifetime replacement.

Posted Tue May 28, 2013 12:27 pm

stratos1966

Bobby, in your price range the 7'2" medium heavy extra fast Crucial is going to be hard to beat. The new model is built with the old Cumara blank and comes with a lifetime replacement warr. AWESOME ROD for that price

This is one of the rods I reviewed extensively. My only concern with it is the length. Being a short guy as is, it may be tough to maneuver the rod in tight quarters and skipping could be a bit difficult.

Posted Tue May 28, 2013 12:33 pm

biggz53

stratos1966

This is one of the rods I reviewed extensively. My only concern with it is the length. Being a short guy as is, it may be tough to maneuver the rod in tight quarters and skipping could be a bit difficult.

Bobby, I have the exact model in the 6'8" and it is my pitching rod.

Posted Tue May 28, 2013 12:45 pm

I also have a 6'8 MH Crucial and absolutely love it. I use it for texas rigged soft plastics, and you certianly cant beat the warranty. My second favorite rod is my BPS Carbon Lite. I know some dont like them, but mine is great. It was my favorite rod until I got the Crucial. Cool

Posted Tue May 28, 2013 12:50 pm

jjbagoose

biggz53

The Powell Max might be a good option.

I just got one of their spinning rods and love it.

powell is good as well. similar lifetime warranty too. i've had both and the powell have a little more backbone than the shimano. just something to keep in mind for the applications.

i have a Powell Max 7' H XF that i use for pitching texas rigs into cover. it does the trick although i haven't tried skipping with it.

Posted Tue May 28, 2013 2:04 pm

I'd look into Irod or the Shimano Crucial rods for that price range. Dont think either would dissapoint.

Posted Tue May 28, 2013 4:36 pm

i can get you a discount for powell rods if you are intrested. message me if you are

Posted Tue May 28, 2013 6:08 pm

Does anyone have any experience or insight on micro guide rods? Reading up on it I understand the concept but havent been able to find much in terms of downsides for this fishing technique.

Posted Thu May 30, 2013 8:24 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links