A few months back while fishing a small (fresh water) Bass Tournament in the Taunton River a Striped Bass smashed my spinnerbait just as I was engaging the spool on one of my Genretion 2 Abu Garcia Revo STX's, after what sounded like a train wreck coming from inside the reel the handle would just about turn and when it did the spool would not spin nor would the level wind work.

After taking the reel apart I found that most of the teeth on the worm shart gear and the main gear that drives the worm shaft gear were snapped off. Also the worm shaft had a new path ground in it from the force exerted on it.

Rather than scrap the reel I called up Abu and ordered the parts, they were actually kind enough (after telling them the story) to give and ship me the gears free of charge, the worm shaft cost me somewhere around 9$

I decided while the reel was apart that I was going to strip her down to the frame and give her a face lift, the images in this post are just some shots of the primer job (which looks really nice) this upcoming weekend I will add some color , and the following weekend some clear.

I also ordered SS ABEC 7 Bearings to replace the stock ones, Carbon Fiber Handle and a few of the Gold Trimmings from the Revo Premier to dress her up

Ill update this post with more images as the rebuild moves forward.. Enjoy!

Posted Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:35 pm

Nice prep work! Can't wait to see the finished product... BTW..did you get the fish??

PJ

Posted Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:08 pm

Leave the primer looks sick the way it is haha

Posted Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:18 pm

pirougejoe

Nice prep work! Can't wait to see the finished product... BTW..did you get the fish??

PJ

Nope, lol the reel locked up, but the fish got my 11$ terminator titanium spinnerbait!

Posted Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:42 pm

sinista

pirougejoe

PJ

Nope, lol the reel locked up, but the fish got my 11$ terminator titanium spinnerbait!

$11.00....
Ya need to start packing your scuba gear for those bad boy's...lol

PJ

Posted Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:49 pm

I can't wait to see this. BTW, I caught a striper with White Lightning this year

Posted Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:36 am

Tauton, Mystic and Merrimac rivers are all striper territory. Wouldn't be surprised if someone pulled one from the lower portion of the Charles either.

Posted Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:51 am

looks good. i thought of stripping down my really old revos and doing the same thing.

Posted Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:57 am

I decided while the reel was apart that I was going to strip her down to the frame and give her a face lift, the images in this post are just some shots of the primer job (which looks really nice) this upcoming weekend I will add some color , and the following weekend some clear.

Neil, what kind of primer, paint, and clear are you using?

Posted Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:51 pm

Sinista they say the foundation is everything ina paint job and yours looks great the paint goes on the same it should look pissa can't wait to see it cleared and reassembled. Nice job

Posted Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:06 pm

twitch13

Sinista they say the foundation is everything ina paint job and yours looks great the paint goes on the same it should look pissa can't wait to see it cleared and reassembled. Nice job

Thanks Twitch

Posted Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:30 pm

meat7gtk

Neil, what kind of primer, paint, and clear are you using?

Nothing special John, basic sandable automotive primer (you must have a few hundred gallons at the shop) no choice on paint or clear yet, I may Awl Grip it if I can get my airbrush running

Posted Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:32 pm

Nice. Makes me wanna strip down my reels and bust out my airbrush. Ive never completely taken apart any of my baitcasters though so I wouldn't wanna f*** anything up inside, I only know basic maintenance on them but id love to do a digital camo paint job on a couple of em. Can't wait to see the finished reel

Posted Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:49 pm

I got a Daiwa exceler for xmas. I took it apart today just to see if it was lubed. There was just one big glob of grease on the gears. I'm never trusting a new reel again.

Posted Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:00 pm

shawneramone

I got a Daiwa exceler for xmas. I took it apart today just to see if it was lubed. There was just one big glob of grease on the gears. I'm never trusting a new reel again.

I have heard stories of Revo's coming thru over luber from the factory, but never under lubed.... That doesnt even sound right!

Posted Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:43 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links