I grew up on Nutting Lake in Billerica and thought nothing of playing hockey on the ice for 8-12 hours a day throughout my youth.

Now I want to try ice fishing with my Dad, (especially since the brook next to my house has frozen over and become unfishable) and for some reason I have developed a bizarre fear of falling through the ice with my boots, winter coat etc, where I would surely sink like a stone, and maybe be caught by one of you years from now, (in which case I give you permission to take any lures or gear that went down with me.)

Nuttings is only 6 feet deep, but I imagine we'll venture to other spots, where I would truly be screwed if the ice failed to hold my 260 lbs.

What if any safety precautions do you guys take?

Thanks

Posted Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:34 pm

Do a test hole every so often, stay away from moving water, springs until you know there's solid ice.

Posted Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:46 pm

Wait until you see other people on ice.
I don't mean let a Guinna pig go out there. if you see activity its a good sign that not just 1 crazy dude walked out and has no fear or no clue .
Carry ice picks is good too, Safety.

Last edited by jwall046 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:49 pm

A test hole for what? Ice thickness?

Posted Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:49 pm

4" minimum for a couple people
6" can hold a snowmobile.
there is charts to tell what is required for safe operation.

Posted Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:52 pm

Look around the web and you'll find ice safety charts.
As a rule I wont go out with less than 4" of black ice. If your unsure of the conditions drill or chisel holes as you go out so you dont have any surprises. Early in the season the shoreline could be plenty safe but further out may not be the same.
Don't Go Alone

Posted Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:53 pm

Thanks party people.

Anyone ever have any luck through the ice on Nutting Lake in Billerica or Freeman Lake in Chelmsford?

Posted Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:00 pm

That link above says to wear a life vest under a coat...I was wondering if that would work with heavy winter clothes weighing you down.

Posted Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:01 pm

I ice fished Nutting probably 20 years ago without any luck. Could of bean the day but that was the only time. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Posted Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:09 pm

ba_kinnar

That link above says to wear a life vest under a coat...I was wondering if that would work with heavy winter clothes weighing you down.

I fell overboard in late november wearing all my winter gear. I was wearing a vest and I popped right up. My wet clothes probably weighed 40-50 pounds

Posted Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:17 pm

Question what would happen if there is any current wearing a life vest? Seems to me that you may come up under the ice.

Posted Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:21 pm

I don't know. But when I fell off my boat, my head wasn't even wet so I don't think I was close to going under. I guess it would be different going straight down through the ice as opposed to falling backwards though. We are talking about Nuttings though. No current there.

Posted Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:25 pm

- vest vest always a vest - also:

- if there is a doubt about thickness - there is no doubt - rather bail then die

- never go alone !!!!!

- always have someone know exactly where and when u go ( does not have to be your wife)

- detach as much weight from you body and drag it behind you
aka sled or drag with a rope at least 5-10 foot behind you
distributing the weight can save your life

- you hear ice breaking ? lay down immediately and do and ice angel

- if you have the space take a 6 foot alu ladder or put your stuff on a old tractor wheel air tube ( we used those as sled)

- carry a heatprotecting first aid blanket - better two - they can save your life

- if you hit the water - undress immediately or the cold wet cloths- drain body temperature - in this weather - 10 minutes can be fatal
rather naked and laughed at as stiff and well dressed

these are basics - stay frosty

Posted Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:26 pm

Isn't there an ice fishing forum Question

Posted Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:51 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links