I'm sure all ice anglers that are as anxious as me to get out there for some hard water lunker hunting are aware of the weather forecast...but just in case you're not tuned in, the outlook appears to be nice and cold starting Friday night!

Here is the forecast temp wise for my neck of the woods in Hudson MA:

HI/LO

Sat: 39/24
Sun: 33/20
Mon: 30/23
Tues: 35/24
Wed: 37/28
Thur: 41/26
Fri: 38/24

My math indicates a lot of sub freezing temps coupled with our short days in terms of daylight means that starting Saturday most of the week will be below freezing which should help to establish a solid ice foundation for the ice anglers. If the extended forecast remains cold....I'm thinking we'll be on the ice after the first week of January....what do you think?

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:46 pm

2 years ago my son and I were able to get on Millvale Reservoir in Haverhill, MA. We had anywhere from 4-5" of jet black ice and it was a balmy 55 degrees. Ice fishing in t-shirts is tough to beat. Add 27 bass and pickerel and it's a once in a lifetime event. It seems the first solid ice is the best, and as snow accumulates, things slowly go downhill. Must be a visibility issue?

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:29 pm

by the way....the photo posted of me is my biggest ever....caught at Millvale. 2 weeks to the day after I caught this 24" beauty, a friend of mine caught a 26" lunker. Both were released!

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:31 pm

OUCH! That's a great place but small to post on a public forum...Great fish though.

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:43 pm

No ice making temps there Exclamation At the very least, daytime high in the 20's with night time lows in the teens for a week Exclamation The open water beat goes on Exclamation Laughing

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:55 pm

Repost Exclamation

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:56 pm

Sorry Don- I thing your wrong but you sound so sure.....

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:28 pm

I'm going out in the boat tomorrow then winterizing it. I'm pretty sure were not gonna have open water by the weekend. It's been a good run, and if we get another warm stretch than i'll be fishing off shore!

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:04 pm

I'm going ice fishing next week up in New Hampshire. I'm sure there's Ice up there. I hope!!!

Going trout/salmon fishing Sunday. Hopefully that will be my last open water till march

Posted Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:09 am

Damn...and I just pulled together my float 'n' fly setup too Sad

Posted Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:17 am

angler21

Sorry Don- I thing your wrong but you sound so sure.....

Yeah, wasn't paying close attention! You guys out west will probably get some ice, how safe is the question Question Us guys down here in the SE will probably continue to see open water for awhile Exclamation Which is fine with me Exclamation Laughing

Posted Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:55 am

I'm off from Christmas till Jan. 2nd and am looking to get on the hard water. If anyone finds safe ice, please send me a PM. Have car, will travel!

Posted Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:17 am

bassturds

I'm going ice fishing next week up in New Hampshire. I'm sure there's Ice up there. I hope!!!

Going trout/salmon fishing Sunday. Hopefully that will be my last open water till march

It's supposed to be 50 here tomorrow... I want to go do some trout fishing. Anyway I can get away with using lures instead of power bait? Thinkin maybe I could run into a bass.

Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:43 am

fishinbev

bassturds

It's supposed to be 50 here tomorrow... I want to go do some trout fishing. Anyway I can get away with using lures instead of power bait? Thinkin maybe I could run into a bass.

yea. im sure youll get some fish on them. where you fishin?
if the trout dont bite maybe youll catch a bass pickerel or some panfish.
been hearing jerkbaits work good for brown and salmon. like bombers,yozuri pins minnows, rapala xraps.
then you got the spoons. kast masters krodiles.

Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:26 am

It's a monsoon out there right now Exclamation Laughing

Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:12 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links