Went do to Horn Pond today, still no ice. Was suprized to see how much open water there was.

I've thinkin about trying ice fishing.

Anyone give me some pointers? What do I need to get started?

Posted Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:41 pm

Ice! Very Happy

Posted Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:18 pm

Couple of tip ups or jigging rods. Anything you can imagine to cut holes. Had a trip get saved thanks to a chainsaw once. Most important! Safety spikes around your neck until you know you have 4 inches atleast wherever you may step. Shiners work great but I do a lot better with my own trapped bait. Start small and expand in the areas you need to as you learn.

Posted Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:18 pm

Not that I plan on getting into ice fishing anytime soon (Give me a heated shanty and a generator and maybe I'll consider it), but I see the gas, the manual and the propane augers. I'd imagine the propane auger is better than a manual, but maybe not? Anyone have experience with all of these types? I'm just curious is all.

Posted Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:30 pm

most ice in mass does not get very thick. it takes about 20 seconds to drill a hole with a hand auger.

Posted Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:53 pm

Don't know if any one else recalls but i can remember back in 1970something at an ice tourney my ice auger motor was on the ice ,not long enough to go through, and i had to finish with a hand chopper the rest of the way!!!

Posted Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:41 pm

That's some serious ice Mark! The most I've seen around here was 2 years ago...my first ice trip on Boone and there was around 18 inches. I used the hand chipper, a lot of work to get set up but it ended up being one of my most active days on the hard water. The five holes produced all day long so fortunately there was no need to shift around.

Posted Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:48 pm

kman

most ice in mass does not get very thick. it takes about 20 seconds to drill a hole with a hand auger.

Prior to last year the 2 previous winters were a b**** Exclamation There was well over a foot of ice on the south shore and drilling by hand was not fun Exclamation Laughing When the ice gets too thick I just mooch of holes that have already been drilled. Laughing

Posted Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:50 am

I just don't get the "lure" of ice fishing?? I can't stand it when my crankbait bounces on the ice every time I cast . . . Duh!!!!

Posted Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:34 am

I do the same thing! I use holes already cut!
It sucks citing threw the ice by hand.

I remember a couple years ago in New Hampshire. I only had a dull spud! I didn't even cut my own hole. Some guy ccame over with a gas auger and cut a hole for me
I tried but cutting through 2feet of ice by hand is a pain in the @$$!
It sucked cuz I caught no fish to young to drink beer and I was freezing!

Posted Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:55 am

It makes me wonder how the heck my DAD punched all them holes for us by hand, even with 2ft of ICE. We had almost 5 inches yesterrday and I cut them with my chisel, Glad we had the Auger also... This weekend it should be good and socked in.

Posted Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:39 pm

I agree- I think this weekend the ice will be rock solid in most areas...the wait is finally close to over! Yesterday there was almost 4 inches on Boone but the top 1-2 inches wasn't solid from the snow but I'm sure the cold nights will lock it in!

Posted Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:58 pm

Checked a pike spot of mine today only 2 1/2 inches of white ice. Couple more days and the ice should be good. If anyone wants to learn ice fishing I'd be willing to teach. I got everything even extra tilts. Don't mean to be stingy but it's byob.(bring your own bait). Cool

Posted Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:55 pm

Checked a pike spot of mine today only 2 1/2 inches of white ice. Couple more days and the ice should be good. If anyone wants to learn ice fishing I'd be willing to teach. I got everything even extra tilts. Don't mean to be stingy but it's byob.(bring your own bait). Cool

Posted Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:56 pm

BYOB always Bait is not cheap, especially the BIG ONES!!!! Big Pondies can cost 2 bucks a shot....ouch

Posted Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:11 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links