wnbassman

2 years ago my son and I were able to get on Millvale Reservoir in Haverhill, MA. We had anywhere from 4-5" of jet black ice and it was a balmy 55 degrees. Ice fishing in t-shirts is tough to beat. Add 27 bass and pickerel and it's a once in a lifetime event. It seems the first solid ice is the best, and as snow accumulates, things slowly go downhill. Must be a visibility issue?

That sounds like a day to remember!!! How can you beat fishing with your son, catching loads of bass on solid ice in your t-shirt, hahaha- that's awesome!!!

I agree, the first ice of the year is generally the strongest and best for visibility. The snow makes a bit more work out there but as long as it's safe for us, that's all that matters.

The last warm day for the next 10 days is today...I'm hoping for a New Year's Day on the ice!

Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:51 pm

All I can say is play it safe I have fallin through the ice twice in all my years of ice fishin, both times in shallow water,first was skateing down a part of the assabet river in hudson ,with my hocky stick as a kid. good thing for that stick!!
second time as an older adult fishing with a groop of guys on fort meadow res and the guy jumps up in the air because his flag went up and we all went through the ice!!
I play if safe now!!!!!!!

Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:23 pm

Could be it for the open water this wknd. Cape Question Looks like some serious ice making temps rolling in next week Exclamation The party could be over or it could be just beginning Exclamation Laughing

Posted Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:58 am

don51

Could be it for the open water this wknd. Cape Question Looks like some serious ice making temps rolling in next week Exclamation The party could be over or it could be just beginning Exclamation Laughing

I'll go with the party is just beginning Smile !

Lake Boone has a full cover of ice on it...as long as it survives the warmer temps tomorrow and rain...it should be ready shortly after New Years. As Don said...some cold days and nights ahead of us!

Posted Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:42 am

I think I'm going to start going to local ponds and breaking all the ice so it doesn't get a chance to freeze solid. This winter nonsense is already getting to me, there is only so many times I can take my reels apart and put them back together before I start loosing my mind!

Posted Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:11 pm

sinista

I think I'm going to start going to local ponds and breaking all the ice so it doesn't get a chance to freeze solid. This winter nonsense is already getting to me, there is only so many times I can take my reels apart and put them back together before I start loosing my mind!

Neil- For being such a diehard angler, I'm surprised that you don't get involved in winter-wonderland on the ice......year after year some of my biggest bass come out of the hard water.

Please don't break up the ice on Boone...it's off limits lol!

Posted Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:15 pm

angler21

sinista

Neil- For being such a diehard angler, I'm surprised that you don't get involved in winter-wonderland on the ice......year after year some of my biggest bass come out of the hard water.

Please don't break up the ice on Boone...it's off limits lol!

I may try it out this year, worse case ill bring my stick , skates and a puck and shoot around

Posted Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:21 pm

If i had the money to by a gas auger and a flasher i'd def be into jigging some bass and crappies though the ice but sadly not happening this year.

Posted Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:08 pm

If it gets cold and we start to get a good base of ice it needs to stay cold Exclamation I hate that period of being in limbo where the ice isn't safe enough to get out on and the pond isn't open enough to fish Exclamation Maddening Exclamation Laughing

Posted Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:35 pm

bassaddict21

If i had the money to by a gas auger and a flasher i'd def be into jigging some bass and crappies though the ice but sadly not happening this year.

Hey Bud- you definately don't need an ice auger to go ice fishing. The last 4 years I have used a chipper (probably 30-40 dollars), it's been reliable and I have plugged holes in 18 inches of ice....granted it may take a while with a foot plus of ice. Normally with 8 inches or so of ice it takes me between 2-3 minutes to make a hole which actually helps to keep you warm. With a couple guys on the ice you can set 10 traps in well under an hour. I just got myself a hand auger for Christmas for 52 dollars (the 8 inch blade as the whole needs to be big enough for a big fish) and from experience they also work great.

I'm not bashing gas augers especially in areas up north with 2 feet of ice but around here a chipper or hand auger is adequate. You also save the aggravation of lugging it around as well as having to buy gas.

Posted Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:45 pm

I'm planning to go out sat for a few hours but I'm taking the Ranger don't fish hard water ever just not my thing will post how I do later

Posted Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:14 pm

Good luck out there...where are you fishing?

Posted Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:06 pm

angler21

bassaddict21

Hey Bud- you definately don't need an ice auger to go ice fishing. The last 4 years I have used a chipper (probably 30-40 dollars), it's been reliable and I have plugged holes in 18 inches of ice....granted it may take a while with a foot plus of ice. Normally with 8 inches or so of ice it takes me between 2-3 minutes to make a hole which actually helps to keep you warm. With a couple guys on the ice you can set 10 traps in well under an hour. I just got myself a hand auger for Christmas for 52 dollars (the 8 inch blade as the whole needs to be big enough for a big fish) and from experience they also work great.

I'm not bashing gas augers especially in areas up north with 2 feet of ice but around here a chipper or hand auger is adequate. You also save the aggravation of lugging it around as well as having to buy gas.

I have a really bad back from a spinal injury i had years ago, so the ice chipping won't work out for me, and i tried a hand auger but i was ready to keel over after a few holes in 6in of ice. Not even sure if i'd be able to operate a gas auger with my sh!+y back

Posted Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:18 pm

I'm w/ya, Neil & Al . . . Not an ice guy! Only thing keeping me off the local ponds, besides family obligations, is the wind. Not very cooperative.

Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:34 am

The next 10 day forecast is an ice fisherman's dream!!! Let's get something going a few weeks out!

Posted Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:41 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links