I remember seeing on a thread a mention of these clips (Stratos maybe?). I was wondering who was using them? And what kind? I see a few different styles at BPS and Cabelas.

Posted Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:38 pm

I'm not sure if you are referring to the same thing I am, but you mean like a basic snap?

I was reading the KVD book and he recommended using a snap on crankbaits stating that it gave them better more true action. Well the book seemed great and its KVD so I figured it was worth a shot and I ordered some from BPS.

I've been meaning to ask if anyone has tried them before, it seemed to make sense, but on the other hand if it was that good and they are so cheap, why haven't I heard of anyone else using them.

Finally, I liked the idea of them because you can change crankbaits out really fast on the fly so if you change depths or want to try different colors you don't have to waste time retying.

Sorry if this is way off topic and I hijacked your thread.

Posted Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:54 am

That's exactly what I'm talking about and for the same purpose of switching out crankbaits quickly and easily. I ordered some off ebay last night. 100 for 5 bucks. I figured that's enough to last me and the rest of the boys a lifetime. So have you tried them or did you get them for this season?

Posted Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:16 am

I got them for this season. I'd love to hear from someone who has used them before. In theory it sounds great, a little extra action and quick changes for different depths. I was planning mostly using them just for cranks, but I wonder if they are worth it for jerkbaits and lipless cranks as well.

Off topic but I through some steel sinkers in with my order, couldn't be more disappointed.. they are massive! and smell awful!

Posted Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:16 pm

I use the Norman speed clips for quick changing cranks and top water baits.

Posted Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:06 pm

What's the benefit of using a speed clip over a normal snap swivel? I can't see where one is any faster to change lures than the other.

Posted Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:54 pm

volume4130

What's the benefit of using a speed clip over a normal snap swivel? I can't see where one is any faster to change lures than the other.

I believe the swivel messes up the action

Posted Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:05 pm

volume4130

I use the Norman speed clips as well, have been for 10 years. They work great for me. They basically resemble a split ring with a spot to pinch so that the ring opens. No real advantage over a split, just a preference. I do use a heavier snap on swimbaits because of the heavier baits and possibility of a wall hanger on every cast. I would hate for a smaller snap or the speed clip to bend open from the pressure of the fish. I never use a snap swivel

Posted Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:18 pm

Easy is not always better,I prefer to retie every time!!!

Posted Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:32 am

Mark, it seems we agree on this, Cotton Cordell has been making a continuous wire snap for about 35 years. Although they are much faster to change lures, constant usage creates wear and unreliability. Also the slight extensions of the clips tend to get grabbed by all sorts of suspended stuff. The split ring that came with the crankbait is designed to supply all the necessary freedom the lure needs. Anyway just how long does it take to retie?

Posted Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:35 am

Yesterday I went out. I opted to keep fishing with the lure I wasn't catching anything with than to tie on another lure because my fingers were freezing. If I had a clip I could've done it no problem.

Posted Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:42 am

I have used norman speed clips and #10 triangular snap for years. I then tried a Round snap swivel and found that the round worked better than both mentioned above. Just my 2 cents..

Posted Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:57 am

After a full season of using the Norman speed clips I will report that they are awesome. I only used them with crankbaits and have lost ZERO fish due to clip failure.

Posted Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:15 pm

shawneramone

After a full season of using the Norman speed clips I will report that they are awesome. I only used them with crankbaits and have lost ZERO fish due to clip failure.

good to know, i got some from bps a few weeks back i believe they are 40 lb test? i bought them specifically for crankbaits as i fish them ALOT and frequently switch to different cranks when feeling out the water. i never use any kind of snap swivels with the exeption of the occasional cross lock snap or coast lock but i really only ever used these for live baits which i dont remember the last time i went bass fishing with live baits, i prefer artificial its just more fun and challenging when YOU have to catch the fish not your bait catching the fish. i cant wait til the ice starts melting in my area so i can start throwing cranks again im dying to try these norman clips out, i fish every night after work from about 1130 til sometimes 3 am and it sucks retying lures everytime you wanna try something different in total darkness

Posted Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:06 pm

on a side note when using norman speed clips should i take the split rings off my cranks or leave them on and attach to that? does it affect the action if i leave the rings on the lure? if im supposed to take them off then im gonna wind up with a buttload of oval split rings back in my box cause i bought a bunch and replaced all my round ringed cranks with oval ones lol

Posted Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:09 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links