I decided to start this discussion while I was deciding on which lure company I wanted to stick with.

Professional anglers get sponsored and usually stick with that manufacturer either soft or hard plastics as part of their sponsorship.

I wanted to decide on one company and fish with that company's lures.

How do you decide which company to stick with?

Thanks,
Patrick

Posted Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:12 pm

Why would you pigeon hole yourself like that? And although I believe that most pros tend to stick with their sponsors they will throw whatever is catching fish. If you have a particular lure that you like, make that your preference but for me one of the first things I look at is cost. Strike King lures. Bomber and excalibur are reasonably priced lures that catch fish. I use them all and have no loyalty to any single lure company.

Posted Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:21 pm

Why would you ever want to limit yourself to one company? If you had to, there is only one company that cones to mind that would cover most techniques, strike king. You could be just like KVD!!!!

Posted Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:28 pm

agreed. similar lures are rarely the same. some are better than others or offer different attributes. also, pros often have multiple sponsors and don't always use them. they say they catch fish on something specific but that's not really the case all the time.

Posted Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:34 pm

jbigun

Why would you ever want to limit yourself to one company? If you had to, there is only one company that cones to mind that would cover most techniques, strike king. You could be just like STRATOS!!!!

Listen to this guy. he knows what he is talking about.

Posted Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:11 pm

My mentality is to keep it simple.

1-2 lure companies
2-3 colors for different presentations

This will take out the guess work on whether to use watermelon/red flk from Yamamoto, watermelon/ blk flake from Bass Pro, and watermelon magic from Zoom, etc.

There are so many companies that offer similar colors to each other. Keeping it simple eliminates having 5-6 watermelon colored lures from 5-6 companies.

Anyone stick with a certain company. I have been favoring the Bass Pro line of lures because I get 20% off purchases

Posted Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:23 pm

BPS lures are very cheaply made and usually never run true or run right at all. Not saying every single lure is bad though.

Posted Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:36 pm

lunkerhunter2366

BPS lures are very cheaply made and usually never run true or run right at all. Not saying every single lure is bad though.

I completely agree with that the only ones i buy now is certain soft plastics that they sell and some of there spinner baits are good

Posted Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:00 pm

stratos1966

jbigun

Why would you ever want to limit yourself to one company? If you had to, there is only one company that cones to mind that would cover most techniques, strike king. You could be just like STRATOS!!!!

^this guy is my hero! I fish what stratos fishes I want to be just like him when I grow up.......minus the 19 children!

Posted Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:16 pm

I could maybe see sticking to a certain company for one type of lure because some companys in certain ones but there is no one company that is better than the rest.

Posted Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:45 pm

Might as well make it real simple, just fish with a black plastic worm Exclamation Laughing

Posted Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:31 am

I think Beattie23 is just suffering from information overload and is trying to simplify the process before his brain explodes. I empathize with the guy. Frankly, I think catching fish is less about the lure than the technique. I bet you that the most successful guys on this board fish with the same handful of lures 90% of the time. My recommendation would be to get a lighter and darker color of each type of lure you like to fish, so 2 jigs, 2 spinnerbaits, 2 worms, 2 floating crankbaits, 2 sinking/suspending crankbaits, 2 frogs. Did I miss anything?

Posted Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:05 am

sinista

stratos1966

jbigun

^this guy is my hero! I fish what stratos fishes I want to be just like him when I grow up.......minus the 19 children!

Now all I need is a house on Oldham so i can fish the 57 tournaments MAFF is having there next year.

Posted Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:56 am

stratos1966

sinista

stratos1966

jbigun

Now all I need is a house on Oldham so i can fish the 57 tournaments MAFF is having there next year.

Only 57??? WTF???

Posted Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:01 am

Seriously though if you are going to pick one or 2 companies , give a look at zoom baits. While i do not limit myself to just a couple bait companies, I do have A LOT of zoom baits in my tackle bags.
I think what you are going to find is that every company has their "nitch bait" , the one bait they make that outsells everyone elses. That usually means they have the best colors or the best action of just through word of mouth and advertizing get bit the most. For example Zoom lizards seen to be the most popular lizard on the market, Yamamoto Senko seems to be the most popular" zero to hero" bait on the market. Spro seems to be the most popular hollow bodied frog. The list goes on and on. I believe you are better off figuring out which is the most popular and go with that. However do not give up trying the odd bait from time to time. I have found a few "secrets" by picking up a bag of something i never see anyone using and have had success with it. I get a lot of confidence when I am throwing it behind others because i know very few are throwing it and I am giving the bass something different to see.

Posted Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:04 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links