I never had much luck with them so I gave up on them.For some reason I bought three river2sea crankbaits and committed to throwing one today.Got to Billington about 7 a.m. and trolled to the island after about ten casts I picked up 2 back to back.They were about 1.75 to 2 pounds.Fished around the island and got nothing else.Decided to got to the west end.Got nothing between the points so I continued to the middle.I saw some bait and some swirls.Kept casting and working it different ways.Finally I casted and did a slower retrieve with a stop action and let my line slack,tick.I reeled it tight and didn't think I had the fish.Next thing I know I did.When I saw it I thought thats a good fish.It didn't fight hard at all.I dropped down for the net and got it,5 pounds 7 ounces.I got three more after that but nothing big.The first time I ever consistently caught fish on a crank bait.Thanks river2sea.

Posted Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:34 pm

Great job ken. Never leave home without those!

Posted Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:36 pm

It's a day like that that will give you all the confidence you need for a technique

Posted Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:54 pm

Cranks almost always produce something for me, but weeds make them tough to throw. So if it's weedy I'll choose a spinnerbait, if it's more open I'll use a crankbait.

Posted Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:41 pm

I just started cranking consistently this summer and it has produced most of my quality fish this summer it is def a lure that i always have tied onto atleast one rod now.

Posted Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:54 pm

Yeah, it's another bait that you have to play with the retrieve. Sometimes they will hit it on a steady retrieve and other times a stop and go. I alternate retrieves until I see a pattern.

Posted Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:04 pm

River2Sea makes some good crankbaits. There relatively inexpensive, good paint jobs, good hooks, and they runs straight out of the box. The 55 is my favorite.

Posted Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:21 pm

This season I've cranked like crazy and went from owning like 2 baits to probably 30 now and counting. I'll check these out. NIce job Ken. I went to Boon today and got one bass and one pickerel.

Posted Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:44 pm

I've always carried a few in my tackle box but never really used them much until last year. I had pretty good luck with the Rebel and Rapala 3" minnows both casting and trolling. This year I added a handful each of square lips, lipless and divers and have caught fish on all of them.

Posted Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:01 pm

I have had a 1 square bill and one lipless crank until this year. I now own 4 lipless 8 deep divers 6shallow diver and 4 square bills and have every size kvd sexy shad cranks from strike king . All my cranks are strike king what other good companies do people use?

Posted Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:41 pm

kizel13

I have had a 1 square bill and one lipless crank until this year. I now own 4 lipless 8 deep divers 6shallow diver and 4 square bills and have every size kvd sexy shad cranks from strike king . All my cranks are strike king what other good companies do people use?

It depends on what your price point is. Obviously a $30 megabass lure is awesome. But since I do a lot of city fishing, where my first 4 cast yesterday was trash bag, GAP bag, tree, and tree. Having a expensive lure never seen daylight again the first time you use doesn't really make a lot of sense me. So I like the mid range price baits.

I wouldn't just get locked in to one company. I personally love the lipless crankbaits by strike king. The Red Eye shads are the best on the market, but I don't really care much for their shallow and mid depths crankbaits. Experiment with different brands until you find a bait that suits your fishing habits the best.

On a side note, I can't wait to get a hold of strike kings 10xd that will launch next year. A strike king employee just won a tournament with the prototype. 6" crankbait that hits 25'. This will be a slayer.

http://www.flwoutdoors.com/fishing-articles/industry-news/154225/strike-king-introduces-the-10xd/

Posted Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:54 am

I bought almost all of my newest cranks on sale at Dicks in August at 50% off. It's a mix of KVDs and others but I've also had good luck with the Excaliburs ($2.99). BassPro also has their bargain bin at $2.29.

Posted Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:27 am

Glad to see a crankbait worked for you Ken!
This story and everybody else inspires me to keep throwing them.

I have a mix of Bandit cranks,Excalibur and strike king.

Posted Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:01 pm

Leave that at home come Sunday, no need for it

Posted Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:36 pm

crankbaits don't work at Oldham

Posted Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:17 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links