I didn't feel like making a trip so here's what happened. My son blew me off this morning so I went to Fosters. Within 5 minutes of getting there i grab a dink on the crankbait. He has hooks in his mouth and gills so I'm holding him by his body. As I'm unhooking him he spazz's out and I get a treble hook in my left thumb and one in my right ring finger. The one in the thumb isn't past the barb but the one in my ring finger is deep. My trolling motor is on low so I use my knee to steer towards the nearest house. My hands are held together by a crankbait and my rods leaning on the inside of my arm. The house has a dock so I just crash into it and grab it with my foot. I manage to bend down and shut off the motor. I yell to the house for help and a middle eastern woman comes running out. She sees my situation and asks what she can do. I tell her to take the hook out of my thumb and she does it quick. I have my needle nose pliers and I'm thinking I can push the hook out the other way. The point is sticking out the finger tip. My problem is I'm right handed and the hooks in my right hand. I'm shaking and can't really make it work. She's looking a little woozy so I decide it's time to go to the hospital. She offers to drive me and I almost let her but then feel bad for getting her involved so I tell her I'll drive. She says I can leave my boat and gear in her yard and helps me pull it on shore. I drove to the hospital. Of course I took video.
http://youtu.be/vQ0xKGNyk_c

Posted Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:11 pm

That sucks, but treble hooks in the hand happens to everyone at some point. It sucks even worse when your by yourself.

I put the same sebile cranskster in my hand twice this year in the same week. Ironically I lost the lure when it got snagged on the back of a carp.

Posted Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:34 pm

If someone was with me I definitely wouldn't have had to go to the ER. For as much as I throw a crank bait I'm surprised this didn't happen sooner. Twice in one week? Ouch

Posted Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:36 pm

Don't you hate that when it happens?
For that reason and that reason only I always cut off 1 of the 3 hooks on the treble.
Glad to see you back in the saddle... the worst days will be day 2 thru 3...for the pain.

Sweet revenge BTW !! Nice fish.

PJ

Last edited by pirougejoe on Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:37 pm

Shawn, Ouch, you need to have a disclaimer for the faint of heart! Personally I'd of liked a little more gore, but that's just me! Good to see it didn't hinder your efforts for the rest of the day! A 4.5 lb'er will make anyone feel better and quick! Nice recovery!

Last edited by pocketfisherman on Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:38 pm

Tourney tomorrow. The biggest mistake I made was letting them give me the tetanus shot in my right arm. That's the sorest spot right now.

Posted Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:39 pm

Worst I've seen was a buddy took a 7x treble in the back of the hand in the Amazon. Had a medical person on the big boat to give him tetanus shot, but we were two hours away from the big boat and a hour deep into a lagoon. The line trick worked but I am just glad I didn't have to do it. His hand swelled up like a ballon.

Posted Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:26 pm

another reason I won't be going to the Amazon. For a second I was thinking of the website.

Kman it didn't bleed much until they pulled it out

Posted Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:33 pm

For just this reason I always use grips when removing treble hooks. Don't need 'em for single hook lures like jigs or spinnerbaits unless I'm dealing with a pickerel. They always get the grips due to their teeth.

Posted Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:44 pm

Shawn I haven't joined the conversation yet, but I am with you in spirit.

Looks like those bleeding red hooks do the trick. I'm hitting Fosters tomorrow and I will further your revenge.

Posted Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:45 pm

kman

Shawn I haven't joined the conversation yet, but I am with you in spirit.

Looks like those bleeding red hooks do the trick. I'm hitting Fosters tomorrow and I will further your revenge.

LOL I meant Rog!! How could I confuse you two?? There's an Island on the left right after you launch. I got the 4 pounder off the first laydown

Posted Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:52 pm

Ouch! That hasn't happened to me yet. Key emphasis on yet. This reminds me to go out and get a pair of cutters for when it's my turn.
Good luck with that finger on tourney day.

Posted Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:01 am

That sucks one of my little brothers hooked my buddy in the ear he had a 6inch purple worm earring we couldn't get it out don't fish back to back he yanked on it a few times until my buddy screamed that's when we all came over to see he has never been fishing since

Posted Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:05 am

Not fun Exclamation I've been there. Try being in that same situation out in a kayak if you really want to hit the panic button Laughing Usually it is the little pickerel that like to throw the hooks into you Exclamation Laughing

Posted Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:50 am

No offense guys; but that's one of the reasons why I flatten out all the treble hooks on my lures now. Got one stuck in my arm last year that still hasn't completely healed. Took over an hour to remove it. Didn't go to the ER because I already had a tetnus shot the year before. Got stuck in my thumb this year and it came right out (flattened barbs).

Posted Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:10 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links