I just recently purchased myself a decently sized minnow trap from my local bait shop here in Hanover, and I was wondering if any of you guys knew any good ponds/lakes/rivers in the Greater Boston/South Shore/Cape Cod area to catch shiners on my own. I don't mind giving my local bait shop the cash every once in a while for some lazy fishing, but I'd like to catch my own every once in a while also. Confused any help would be greatly appreciated!

Posted Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:15 pm

where's the bait store in hanover. i never new there was one.

Posted Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:48 am

i, also, would like to know where there's a tackle shop in hanover. do they have a website? how's their lure selection?

Posted Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:06 am

I agree. I'm a bait trapper myself Very Happy .
I'm not remotely close to the area but i recommend just dropping a trap in and investigating early in the season and you might hit gold by the time your ready for em.

Posted Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:58 am

jwall046

I agree. I'm a bait trapper myself Very Happy .
I'm not remotely close to the area but i recommend just dropping a trap in and investigating early in the season and you might hit gold by the time your ready for em.

Do you keep your shiners in a fish tank at home or trap for each trip?

Posted Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:02 am

I keep them at home (outside in shed). I aerate them continuously and try to keep them at low temperature (outside elements do that automatically).

Posted Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:30 am

I trap minnows in the Spring for use at Quabbin. I have always had better luck in creeks and streams than in ponds. Try some dry dog food, it works well for me.

Posted Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:59 am

Thanks for the replies guys, so I am guessing its too late in the season to really catch any? More of an early spring thing? I'll definitely try creeks/rivers with some dog food as well.

Posted Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:11 pm

p.s - The bait shop in Hanover is called Forge Pond Bait & Tackle (Charlie's Bait Shop to locals). Its in the Forge Pond Industrial park. 99 Industrial Way is the street address. His lure selection isn't huge but hes got what you need, and he has plenty of live bait as well as frozen stuff for saltwater. His prices are pretty decent as well.

Posted Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:13 pm

there is a pond called paton park in hamliton there are only shinners and carp theres to much shiners i caught some with my hand

Posted Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:52 pm

there is a pond called paton park in hamliton there are only shinners and carp theres to much shiners i caught some with my hand

Posted Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:52 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links