OK, so I've been fishing soft plastics for decades but I get bored with the slow retrieve. So I have a question for all of you who fish soft plastics --

Do you retrieve slowly all the way back to the boat/shore, or, do you retrieve slowly for a few yards and then reel in quickly so you can get another cast off?

Posted Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:37 pm

Slow all the way may get a hit feet from shore they chase it sometimes.want to try something new?Friend Muskie on here hooked me up with a new technique rather than let worm(I use mostly senkos) give it sharp twitches to keep it closer to the top do this all the way in takes a while to get hang of hooking them this way but when they don't hit reeling slow on bottom they may be suspended and the twitchin drives them nuts thanks again Muskie!

Posted Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:13 pm

berkleegrad

OK, so I've been fishing soft plastics for decades but I get bored with the slow retrieve. So I have a question for all of you who fish soft plastics --

Do you retrieve slowly all the way back to the boat/shore, or, do you retrieve slowly for a few yards and then reel in quickly so you can get another cast off?

I'm hardly an expert (pretty much the opposite Smile but I fish from a Kayak too so here's my 2 cents.

Usually when I am fishing plastics like senkos or creatures baits from my Yak I'm targeting specific weeds, pads and structure so once I retrieve for a could of yards I'm out of my "target zone" so I reel it in quickly.

Then I try again or move to the next target.

From shore I'm not as methodical because I'm just throwing anywhere and everywhere looking for bites.

I'd be interested to hear how others do it.

Posted Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:18 pm

That supports my experience in the yak. I've found that bass will mostly take the worm as it's sinking or early in the retrieve. If I don't get a hit on the worm in the first minute I'll crank it in and try a new spot.

The interesting thing about soft plastics is that when you miss a hook up you can cast back to the same spot and try again because the fish will probably go for it. You don't often get second chances with hard baits.

Posted Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:27 am

I'm hardly an expert (pretty much the opposite Smile but I fish from a Kayak too so here's my 2 cents.

Usually when I am fishing plastics like senkos or creatures baits from my Yak I'm targeting specific weeds, pads and structure so once I retrieve for a could of yards I'm out of my "target zone" so I reel it in quickly.

From shore I'm not as methodical because I'm just throwing anywhere and everywhere looking for bites.

I'd be interested to hear how others do it.[/quote]

Posted Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:35 am

I'd be interested to hear how others do it.[/quote]

Posted Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:36 am

I used to think that if they didn't hit it right away, then burn it in and throw it out again. Have since learned that if I am retrieving slow to commit the entire cast that way since, as badlarry mentioned, they will follow it and hit a few feet from shore/boat.

After hearing about Muskies technique, badlarry & myself both tried this last night. It takes some getting used to. I know he hit pretty good on it. I did not so will keep trying until it works!

Posted Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:25 am

berkleegrad

The interesting thing about soft plastics is that when you miss a hook up you can cast back to the same spot and try again because the fish will probably go for it. You don't often get second chances with hard baits.

Definitely, I feel like just as long as they don't get poked by the hook they're more than willing to take another shot at it.

I catch a lot of fish like this.

Posted Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:28 am

I've notices that if I miss a bite, I will give the line some slack and the bait sit and they will usually come right back after it.

Posted Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:33 am

I usually only fish the senko. Start off with it texas rigged, usually never ever any weight. 5 or 6" with a 4 or 5 owner screw in worm hook. Very slow retrieve. When I cast out I give a tad slack and let it sit there a good ten seconds watching the line very carefully. That line starts jumping, I give it a few seconds reel in and cross it's eyes. No hit, I'll twitch the rod and crank it one or two turns and let it sit 5-10 seconds. I will repeat this over and over. If that doesn't work I'll cast out let it sink for the ten seconds and then reel it fast with twitches maybe 5 or so turns an then stop it for 10+ seconds. On that rest sometimes I will get a hit. Otherwise I'll repeat that on the retrieve and maybe try it a few more casts. Then I will cast out and skip it on the top of the water for like 5 or so turns and let it sink and rest it for 10+ seconds. Then I will retrieve with either of the above retrieves. Sometimes I will just skip it the whole way in. So many ways to fish this bait. I do lots of variations on these retrieves. I mostly use the first one and adjust the speed. If the fish are super active and will hit anything I switch to wacky rig because I find it easier to hook them with, also easier to gut hook - watch out. I will switch to wacky rig if none of those retrieves work as well. Really name of the game is vary it up.

Hope that helps, wish someone told me this stuff when I first started using them. Took me a while to catch on em.

Posted Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:11 pm

jjbagoose

berkleegrad

Definitely, I feel like just as long as they don't get poked by the hook they're more than willing to take another shot at it.

I catch a lot of fish like this.

I think sometimes you burn it in sometimes you don't. Just have to develop a pattern.

Posted Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:13 pm

Moral of the story is any way you fish em Senkos catch a ton of fish like the 5in bigger bait bigger fish ha ha!

Posted Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:53 pm

I've been twitching plastic worms for years. It's great for reaction strikes works really good when nothing else seems too. Lots of times During a pause I'll get the hit. I've also found that when targeting a spot sometimes you just got to let that worm sit there for a while. I've caught some good fish both ways.

Posted Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:58 pm

I am a firm believer that in the long run...... more casts = more fish. I will work a soft plastic bait about a 1/4 to a 1/3 of the way back, reel in and repete. In my experience, that is when 80% of the hits occur.

Posted Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:10 pm

another deadly way to use it is on the surface. Wacky rig it, keep rod tip high and keep line tight, shake rod tip to make worm flap around and reel slow while doing this The effect is almost like a bird trapped on the water and flapping its wings.

When done right, HUGE bass love this presentation. The strike is subtle, they just suck it in. If no strike, assume something may be following it and just let it fall. More often than not you will get hits doing this. It works on tough days as well. The down side is Pickerel also love this presentation.

I caught a bass in a small pond in Medford using this technique. The longest bass I have ever caught or seen. 28" 5 lbs 15 oz super thin fish. What is that bass in a healthy full stomach state?

Posted Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:32 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links