Not sure if it's ok to post another websites address? if not sorry in advance but this is a Quebec/Ontario Canada area site. They grow em BIG up there. I had the pleasure of fishing a couple of these lakes but never did anything like the locals do this time of year. best i did was 2 and 3lbers during summer. What they do in the fall is insane. Check it out.

http://www.fishin-canada.net/

Posted Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:58 am

That's awesome!

What is considered a big smallie in:
Mass-
Maine-
New Hampshire-

I think if i catch a 3lber that a decent fish, If i catch a 4lber that real good. I think i might not fish areas that produce bigger smallies?
I think ct river might hold some 5's and i'm hoping to fish there more often?
Obviously quabbin but that's not accessible very easy and often as other waters.
thanks

Posted Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:15 am

For me a 4lb smallie is the mark I set for a "big" smallie. You are getting into rare territory with 5lbers. A 6lber is like a 10lb lm in terms of a rarity.

Posted Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:19 am

OK, I'm in the ballpark & that's how i perceive them too.
Thanks

I know i caught a decent smallie on the river and my friend wasn't impressed.lol
But that is his main water and i have seen pics of bigger. Just not on my line.

I think 4 is my biggest ever.
even though i take my buddy for the 1st time and he gets a 4.24!
Bastard!
Is my scale accurate? I don't know and don't care. lol
I hang a weight from it to see if it's close but that good for me.

Posted Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:23 am

Smallies are deceiving, especially in pictures. I have taken pics of 4lbers and when i look at them on the computer they look unimpressive. But holding them in your hand they are very impressive.

Posted Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:36 am

I did that with what i thought was a 2lber. Its embarrassing to look at in a pic (sometime),lol
I get picked on for extending my arm. I'm like dude im 6'3" my arms are pretty friecken long,hahahha. If i extended them I'd look a mile away from the fish.
I like the pics that my fish look way bigger than they are though. I had my pic posted on TG the other day saying how big do you think this fish is? I was a 4+ not quite 5. Some people said 3 and some said 7 all day. It was cool just to have my pic posted actually.

Posted Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:17 pm

i finally hit the 4 lb. mark this year. i actually didn't think it was but weighed it. i have smallie fever but agree about seeing them in pictures. the one in my profile picture was 3 lbs. 4 oz but it doesn't look that big. and i have some more pictures and videos of catching 3 lb. 8-12 oz. hogs that you would think are 4.5 pounders but aren't.

Posted Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:44 pm

you guys have it easy, I make 6 lb fish look like 3 pounders in photos. I need a fish model.

Posted Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:16 pm

have you guys seen the 7+ smallie that came outa quabbin this past spring? It was on a CT forum i post on sometimes. I cant find the pic on the site anymore which is kinda strange because it was there this past spring but the guy videoed it and i found it on youtube. here's the link http://youtu.be/tpLqGFIfDF0

Last edited by bassaddict21 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:20 pm

there is a video of that guy catching it as well. I think its the same guy, but there is def a vid of a guy catching a 7 lb smallie out of the Q

Posted Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:23 pm

Here you go guys - what a fish. This guy has lots of good swimbait videos also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpLqGFIfDF0

Posted Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:38 pm

There are plenty of big smallmouth in Wachusett res. I have caught close to 100 of them in 20-21.5 inch this year. (total about 300 smallmouth caught/released at Wachusett res this year). The weight is not close to what great lake area or Canada region has. The heaviest one I caught this year was a 21 inch, 4 pound 9 ounce. I know someone caught a 22.5 inch weighted only a little over 5 pound. The length is there but not the weight. They are healthy looking but not super fat. I don't know why Wachusett smallies are kind of one pound less compare to great lake or Canada region with the same body length.

Posted Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:58 pm

GOBIES

Posted Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:22 pm

willy68

There are plenty of big smallmouth in Wachusett res. I have caught close to 100 of them in 20-21.5 inch this year. (total about 300 smallmouth caught/released at Wachusett res this year). The weight is not close to what great lake area or Canada region has. The heaviest one I caught this year was a 21 inch, 4 pound 9 ounce. I know someone caught a 22.5 inch weighted only a little over 5 pound. The length is there but not the weight. They are healthy looking but not super fat. I don't know why Wachusett smallies are kind of one pound less compare to great lake or Canada region with the same body length.

wow, nice job!

Posted Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:37 am

bassaddict21

willy68

wow, nice job!

I spend most of my weekend at Wachusett res this year. I went there over 60 times this year. I had few days caught more than a dozen in a single trip. Most of the time didn't catch them in numbers. The ones I hooked most likely were quality smallmouth. Yup, that's Chu! Not an easy place to fish but it has quality.

Posted Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:46 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links