Seemingly stupid question but as I puttered around the pond (sans sonar) I realized I really only knew how to fish from shore. You're usually stuck in one spot, and you just change lures hoping that the fish are nearby. Now I can go anywhere on the water.....and I have no idea what to do! For example: I don't know how to fish depth. How do you keep a lure deeper in the water while trolling? Any and all suggestions are much appreciated.

Posted Mon May 14, 2012 6:45 am

in line trolling weights

Posted Mon May 14, 2012 7:07 am

What are you fishing for?

Posted Mon May 14, 2012 7:39 am

What are you fishing for?

Posted Mon May 14, 2012 7:40 am

Bass

Posted Mon May 14, 2012 9:53 am

I do not generally troll anymore. But lust go real slow and the more line you let out the deeper it tends to go.
Not the best answer but?
If you want to cover water try and fan cast about 45 degrees in front of your boat and work the lure on a controlled slack and when the lure becomes parallel to boat reel in and repeat. You can also just use trolling motor to hold your position in an area you would like to try.
if you catch a fish make a mental note of depth,Structure & retrieve. Sometime this can be duplicated in another area of the lake too.
Time on the water will help you develop you personal preferences and success.

Posted Mon May 14, 2012 10:09 am

bcodkind

Bass

ok so now you're mobile. You can get to all those spots you couldn't quite reach from shore. Forget about trolling. Cast at every piece of structure that you see. Logs, rocks ,lilly pads...you know? Use the trolling motor to keep yourself in position. When it's windy, I'll just keep it on low and run along the bank making as many casts as possible. What kind of boat are we talking about here? I assumed cartopper for some reason. If that's the case, I suggest a drift sock. The thing is money when it's windy. Also, if you're a cartopper, fish smaller ponds so you can cover the whole thing. They hold big fish.

Posted Mon May 14, 2012 10:37 am

12' jon boat, 40# motor. trailered. would a sock work for that?

Posted Mon May 14, 2012 10:41 am

bcodkind

mhm
So would a bucket. lol

Posted Mon May 14, 2012 11:18 am

bcodkind

Yes they come in different sizes. Cabelas has them in the bargain cave right now

Posted Mon May 14, 2012 11:21 am

shawneramone

bcodkind

Yes they come in different sizes. Cabelas has them in the bargain cave right now

Do they come with those face bandanas too?? Very Happy

Posted Mon May 14, 2012 4:01 pm

no you have to finish fishing ninja training to get that

Posted Mon May 14, 2012 9:45 pm

hayyy ya a aaa

well i noticed from shore u try cast out far from boat u try to get close to shore

with a small john boat just go along the corners like 10 feet out and throw under every bush u see

bass sits at the very corner and below bushes and rocks

if you wanna go trout - go deep especially in the summer

Posted Tue May 15, 2012 9:56 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links