Looks to be only about a month left of fishing for me. So that means time to get in the shop and start making baits for next year. So I figured I would post up some photos of what I usually make. I am planning on adding some lizards and frogs to the mix this off season. All the jigs, tube jigs and dropshot weights are made with owner hooks and 100% NON-Lead. Damon and I also dabble in some large wooden swimbaits.

Football Jigs

Brush Jigs

Swimbait Hooks, Drop Shot Weights, and Tube Jig

Senko type 4" and 5", 4" split-tail creature bait

Posted Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:29 pm

Dan,
This is awesome stuff. Top-notch. I will probably be looking into new jigs this winter due to the new no lead law!
Damon's swim-baits are awesome too! Seen em in action. I'm not gona get into selling swim-baits but I'm developing a swim-bait that should be bullet proof literally (Free from any tooth marks from anything), ha.
Thanks to the guys on this site angler21,Fallen Timber and Stratos i became interested in this swim-bait deal. We'll see what happens over the winter and see if i can come up with a pronto-type.

Posted Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:51 am

Dan,
This is awesome stuff. Top-notch. I will probably be looking into new jigs this winter due to the new no lead law!
Damon's swim-baits are awesome too! Seen em in action. I'm not gona get into selling swim-baits but I'm developing a swim-bait that should be bullet proof literally (Free from any tooth marks from anything), ha.
Thanks to the guys on this site angler21,Fallen Timber and Stratos i became interested in this swim-bait deal. We'll see what happens over the winter and see if i can come up with a pronto-type.

Posted Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:52 am

Dan can you send me an email with those images? for some reason the filter on my work PC will not let me veiw them, send them to ndootson@sstar.org, or send the pics to my phone 508-373-4783 Im interested

Posted Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:38 am

Not just another EMPTY ENDORSMENT... 1st I'd like to say HOW COOL IS THIS STUFF ! 2ndly I was EXTREMELY fortunate to get my hands on some 'samples' from Damon himself over the Summer-(never felt so "schooled" on a subject in my freakin life by the way).I used them for the remainder of the season on my own trips and I can tell you ...THEY CATCH FISH ! I'd wait in line for 'BFB'z' "Beaver-Fever Baits"
D-Man !,I'm glad you ultimately decided to continue doing these baits n what not and have FINALLY come out w/ 'em PUBLICLY & I'll GLADLY spend some "dough' on you boy's stuff.VERY DURABLE ITEMS HERE GUYS ...make up some packages that include some varied things and I'll head out to "TheShop" when you're "OPEN" and kick you guys some 'ground-floor" money...Then when ya' HUGE I can say "Yup...dats right I fish wit dese boyz on Sundayz !" hahaha
I'm tellin' ya MAFFERZ you WILL NOT BE DIS-APPOINTED ! This dude Damon LITERALLY changed my fishing brain FOREVER and I use the samples DAILY to practice those new skills ---I can hit that bucket pretty nearly EVERY TIME NOW hahahahaha...and I can't thank 'em enough -you're NEVER too old to learn something new!

Posted Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:56 am

if anybody needs a online shop set up - for those homecooked baits - let me know - i do this s*** for living and can invest some time for free samples Wink

Posted Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:07 am

Thanks guys, dave i am glad you liked the baits that damon gave you. This non lead ban for sinkers and jigs is really goin to jack up the cost of terminal tackle especially if you go with tungsten. I use an alloy that is pretty close to the density of lead and it is only a little more expensive. I lose a decent amount of terminal tackle in the course of a year, so if i was using tungsten i would have to take out a loan haha. Skoda, thanks for the offer but i dont think an online store would work for me. I like keeping it small, i only produce for 4 months out of the year. I would be more than happy to make some stuff for you. I am sure we can figure out a fair cost.

The plastics are really cool to make. There is soo much you can do with them from adding scents, color variations, sink rates, and last year i started infusing some of the baits with microbubbles. Floating Senkos are crazy on carolina rigs.

Jwall, damon had mentioned to me some of the swimbait stuff you are trying and i am really interested in checking it out.

Neil, i sent you an email with my photobucket album

Posted Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:50 pm

Dan,
Those football jigs look sweet! Excellent work!

Posted Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:26 pm

Your stuff looks good! I wish I had a place to start playing around with the whole lure making thing...you should make me some ice fishing jigs Smile

Posted Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:12 pm

Jwall, damon had mentioned to me some of the swimbait stuff you are trying and i am really interested in checking it out.

The concept seems cool. Damon is gona help test em as we move along. I also have a friend that wants to see how they hold up catching alligators in Florida.

Posted Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:20 pm

I agree- you're work on the jigs and plastic look awesome. I'm interested in seeing some frog and swimbaits that you make- post em up and you'll most likely have a customer!

Posted Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:24 pm

[quote="bangbang"] This non lead ban for sinkers and jigs is really goin to jack up the cost of terminal tackle especially if you go with tungsten. I use an alloy that is pretty close to the density of lead and it is only a little more expensive. I lose a decent amount of terminal tackle in the course of a year, so if i was using tungsten i would have to take out a loan haha.

Same over here!
Interested in jigs, since the tungsten is so expensive. How much time do you need for a order. I usually start shopping after the holidays.

Posted Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:02 pm

some great looking baits right there, would be interested a bit in senko's.

This winter I will spend a lot of time making bait for carp and experiment with flavors and such.

Posted Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:12 pm

Evan, I am going to start pouring all my metal baits on monday. I have 5lbs of alloy coming in on friday. Just shoot me a PM on what you might be interested in and I can hold them until you need them.

Alex, what colors and size senkos do you like? I have never done any carp fishing, but it has always interested me. How do you make your baits?

Thanks Jeff. What type of swimbaits do you usually use?

here is one that I made last winter

Posted Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:07 pm

I like the 5" variety in watermelon,watermelon/ghost and bluegill.

I make boilies and packbaits. I learned the boilie basics from Blackstone carp in this site. check out his youtube videos for lots of good stuff. he helped put me on a my biggest this year (I only started fishing for carp this june!) @20lbs 8oz.

I love passing the time between carp runs pulling out bass with senkos.

Posted Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:19 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links