i need a recommendation on tube jig heads. i got a bag of the one's from sfttackle.com and they rust out after 1 trip and are dull as sh*&. how about gami or owner?

Posted Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:16 am

I haven't nailed this issue down perfectly. But i have a designated box for all my hooks and i use the cards that wick the moisture away. I think Fallen timber was telling me he shoots em down w/ wd-40. With the new lead law also i'm not sure how available gami or owner are? but If you need new terminal tackle give Beaver Fever a P.M i think you will be impressed how good their tackle is.

Posted Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:26 am

I use the falcon FTO boxes for all my terminal tackle, it keeps everything really dry. I am making all my tube jigs with owner 5318 hooks.

Posted Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:08 pm

I've had lures with gamakatsu hooks on them for a few years, and they are a lot more rust resistant than other hooks. Haven't used Owner's but since they are comparable in price, they're probably similar in quality. I don't store my gear in anything special, just regular divided plastic tray/box things. If I'm out in the rain, I usually leave them open over night and dry out what I can with a rag or something.

Posted Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:17 am

I switched over to Owner hooks exclusively and they're the best for the money. For tubes, I've been using the phantom tube hook by owner, they're a pain to rig, but they are nice to use.

In regards to keeping your gear rust free, keep the silica gel packs that come with shoes, etc and put a couple in each of your tackle boxes. If you can't get those, buy some cat litter, get some old pantyhose from your wife/girlfriend/mother and make little cat litter balls about the size of a quarter and put those in there. The cat litter absorbs all the moisture. You can also put your cell phone into cat litter if it ever falls into the water. The litter will absorb the water out and save your phone. Learned that the hard way...

Posted Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:23 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links