Hey gang,
This summer has been my first bass fishing experience, and I love it. I've only used spinners and I am really interested in a baitcaster. I'd love any suggestions. My budget is $50-$200. Go.

Posted Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:55 pm

Heya-I actually got my first one this summer, some cheapie Abu garcia silver and I'd say I'd go with what everyone told me in a pervious post. Just go out and buy a more expensive one(aka like a Shimano Curado seems to be a good priced/good one). I learned how to cast on my cheapie one and all about the lovely backlashing, but I'll def. be picking up better quality ones in May/if I find em cheap over winter. Hope this helps from one newbie to another Smile

Posted Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:03 am

the shimano citica is nice for right around $100. easy to use and casts smooth

Posted Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:57 am

So whats are some of the pros/advantages of a baitcaster vs. spinning reel? Is it the faster line pick up ratios? Or does it have something to do with the reel being closer to the rod...i'm stretching here, lol.

Posted Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:13 pm

I started using a baitcaster this summer as well. I went with the Daiwa Excelor 7.1. I loved it so much I bought a second one half way through the season. can range up to $100 but I got both of mine for $60 online. figured out the perfect brake settings and I never get any rats nests.

As far as pros, with casters its quicker to go from reeling to casting so you can get more casts in. It's a smoother retrieve as opposed to spinners where the spool, and therefor the line, spins around. Also, with these low profile casters, the reel fits in the palm of your hand so you have more control and a lot more sensitivity. I'm never going back to a spinner.

Posted Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:01 pm

Spincaster: (In no order) The bad - when you throw hard it or real it in fast, the line will "slap" the rod. The bail swings so wide, the line flutters and hits the rod. This slows the cast and some say effects the action of lures on retrieve. Also, after you throw the spinner rod, you really have no way of stopping the lure in flight beside closing the bail which bounces it back at you and pretty much negates the smooth cast to the perfect spot you were aiming at. The good: they are dummy proof. you really cant screw them up, therefore they wont cut into your fishing time.

Baitcaster: Its what the pros use, so it must be better right? Thats what I convinced myself this spring and forced my self to learn one. Now Ill never go back to a spinner (for the most part. keepin it as it is idiot proof, and sometimes we all need that). The spiiner rod cast so smooth & long when needed). You can also flip it a short distance and quietly drop it into the zone. Compared to a spinner reel that when you let your figure off the line in a cast, you really cant slow it down or stop it. On a baitcast, our thumb it the break. So you can hum the lure under or over what you need, and then stop it exactly into the zone. My favorite thing is the way it is palmed in your hand. the ballance and low profile position makes it comfortable to fish with for hours.

Posted Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:10 pm

Next thing I would say is that you shouldnt be afraid of a birds nest. Get good at gettng them out. Check out this vid on youtube about getting out the nest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDI5kwR5zjc

Adjust the magnets by small increments. I started learning by throwing it far rather than short. You will find the spool may begin to nest, but fix itself before the end (especially if the magnets are right)

Finally, go to Cabellas or Bass Pros and ask for a recommendation. I bought a Bass Pro Qualifyer ($100) and it is still smooth and works great. The free Shimano i got from my hotel rewards points didnt last me the season.

Buy a decent rod/reel. Then buy the rubber practice weight and go in the backyard and practice. Once you have it down, you will love it.

Posted Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:20 pm

Awesome tips guys. I think I have it narrowed down to the Quantum Code and pairing it up with a St. Croix Mojo Bass trigger rod.

Also, what gear ratio should I go with? I use mostly soft plastics.

Posted Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:27 pm

tholdah

Spinning reel Also, after you throw the spinner rod, you really have no way of stopping the lure in flight beside closing the bail which bounces it back at you and pretty much negates the smooth cast to the perfect spot you were aiming at.

have you ever heard of feathering? just touching the line as it coils off your reel, never had a problem with accuracy.

there are certain situations where casters work out better than spinning setups, but for your average angler, I find no pro's to using a caster at all.

I used to have one when I was younger, and thought it was cool. But it never did anything for my catches, and it seemed to hinder my approach to fishing (I'm a big-time finesse fisherman, try it out sometime if you haven't)

as with anything, your mileage may vary, and find what works best for YOU, and not what someone told you is the best.

Posted Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:37 pm

It comes down to what you like..in my honest opinion.

I grew up walking many small streams and big rivers near my home in Pennsylvania. Fishing for trout, panfish, bass, walleye, sucker, carp, muskie and pike and big cats etc. I grew up using a spinning reel. If you learn to feather, pitch, swing, drop, skip etc you can do anything with a spinning reel from close or far, under docks and over hanging bushes etc. You can do the same with a baitcaster and in my experience I've never really noticed a need for either one in any situation other then personal preference.

The point i am making is, don't feel that something is better simply because "pros use it" or you see it in a video and so on. Learn the basic skills with any rod and take the time to decide what you enjoy. I think you'll find over time that for most fishing ( I say most because surfcasting, deep see fishing, big cat fishing etc require different gear and I assume for this convo we are mainly talking bass) there is no real difference and I venture to say that 2 fishermen both equal in skill, 1 using a spin rod and 1 using a baitcaster would have very similar results in a day fishing together.

Personally I like the fly rod now and won't really go back to either of the above except for carp fishing. Talk about precision and sensitivity.

Posted Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:57 am

I wouldn't buy anything from Quantum! JMO
You can get a decent reel for 100.00.
With a bait-caster you can throw heavier line and lures way easier and yes control your cast with practice. Mainly heavier line is the difference and maybe faster retrieve speeds.
You can still control your cast with spinning reels very easy. I like to throw bait-casters myself when i can.

Posted Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:17 am

jwall046

I wouldn't buy anything from Quantum! JMO
You can get a decent reel for 100.00.
With a bait-caster you can throw heavier line and lures way easier and yes control your cast with practice. Mainly heavier line is the difference and maybe faster retrieve speeds.
You can still control your cast with spinning reels very easy. I like to throw bait-casters myself when i can.

I'd probably second the thought on Quantum. I've had pretty bad luck with their drag wearing out very quickly, on two different $150+ reels.

I barely ever hear bad things about the Shimano line, especially the Citica and Curado lines. You can find pretty good deals on both of these right now, as Shimano is releasing the next model of each later this fall.

Posted Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:53 am

i hate quantum as well. i'm sure the experience would be different on a very high end model though. but this would be expensive.

i'm 100% abu garcia. i use shimano for spinning reels and they are top quality and i don't doubt the baitcasters are too. one thing to consider is the quality of the parts. is the drag plastic, what's the braking system like? and don't count out the warranties.

Posted Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:46 am

samf

i hate quantum as well. i'm sure the experience would be different on a very high end model though. but this would be expensive.

i'm 100% abu garcia. i use shimano for spinning reels and they are top quality and i don't doubt the baitcasters are too. one thing to consider is the quality of the parts. is the drag plastic, what's the braking system like? and don't count out the warranties.

Spot on, I have abu revo reels. but i just read about the Skeet reese versions are having extensive issues with the crank handle stripping.
They have been replaced from the few guys who had these issues but non the less it is an issue.

Posted Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:57 am

I prefer to use a baitcaster when I can, but I also have spinning gear aswell for when the technique requires it.
I have good luck with Abu-Garcia, Diawa, and Bass Pro reels. I generally suggest putting the majority of your budget into the reel. If you get a crappy reel you will regret it and probably curse baitcasters the rest of your life.

Posted Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:57 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links