i have had awsome luck with bass pro pro qualifier baitcaster lots of gear ratio choices i have some quantums going on 5 years of service as smooth as the day i bought them

Posted Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:27 pm

after reading your advice, I think I'm going with the BPS Pro Qualifier and a 7 ft. St. Croix Mojo Bass MH/F.

I fish mostly Senkos and rubber craws - what would be my best gear ratio?

also, line? I was think 12 or 15 lb flouro.

Posted Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:05 pm

I don't like using flouro or mono on baitcasters because it spools out like a b****. It gets a little loose, and then messes up the whole reel and you have respool it. I like to use braid with about 7' of flouro as a leader. If you do a lot of weightless senkos, baitcasters may be too heavy...its hard to cast really light lures accurately with a baitcaster, in my opinion.

As for gearing...the higher the ratio the faster the retrieve. 7:1 is good for burning spinnerbaits or frogs. 6:4 is pretty middle of the road, and probably what you would be looking for. Anything in the 5 range is for slow stuff, like getting crankbaits down deep.

Posted Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:36 pm

jlev44

after reading your advice, I think I'm going with the BPS Pro Qualifier and a 7 ft. St. Croix Mojo Bass MH/F.

I fish mostly Senkos and rubber craws - what would be my best gear ratio?

also, line? I was think 12 or 15 lb flouro.

I have 2 mojo bass rods, one M and one MH, both 7'. I use the MH for my frog rod with 50lb braid. You will be much happier throwing the senkos and craws on a medium mojo. I have used mine to throw anything from senkos to small to medium size cranks and spinnerbaits and also lighter jigs.

Posted Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:50 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links