Which plastic worm setup to use when? (i'm considering weedless to be Texas minus the swivel and weight)

Posted Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:00 pm

bcodkind

Which plastic worm setup to use when? (i'm considering weedless to be Texas minus the swivel and weight)

"SENKO"

Posted Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:53 pm

Absolutely Senko! But wacky? Weightless? Texas? and how do you decide?

Posted Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:04 pm

depends on personal preference and situation and cover or structure. i'll throw a wacky rigged worm in the weeds but i have weedless wacky hooks. texas rigged is pretty weedless if you tex-pose it and pull the plastic over the hook point. same goes for laydowns or rocks. i usually go weightless and control the speed of the fall by hook size / worm size. there are also weighted wacky hooks out there. try all sorts of combos

Posted Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:17 pm

I fish my senko's whacky style and that seems to work best.
I use yozuri 10lb test smoke line.I have used other lines but this one works a lot better for some reason.I use the whacky tool for my o rings to put on senko.I use 1/0 gamagatsu hooks.I also switch up and,believe it or not, use walleye hooks in assoted flourescent colors.
I can't tell you any more because we might fish in the same tourney and can't reveal all my secrets Razz .

Posted Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:22 pm

bassstinger

I can't tell you any more because we might fish in the same tourney and can't reveal all my secrets Razz .

Haha, don't worry about me. I'm not a tourney fisherman (no boat.) I've gone almost exclusively texas rig, guess it's time to try wacky. What's the action/retrieve on that (assume weeds/lilly pads)

Posted Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:30 pm

Since you don't have a boat how bout fishin with me in mine,I'll show you how to use whacky.I fish as much as i can.We'll set something up soon.What is your schedule like with work and all.Get me you phone number and we'll HOOK UP!!!! Razz

Posted Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:34 pm

This past weekend I had two poles with me rigged almost exactly the same, except one was rigged weightless, the other wasn't. I basically just kept switching it up till they would bite something. Smile

I actually ended up catching more with the texas weighted rig, rather than the weightless (I was mostly fishing a 4" red senko on the weightless and only caught one little one). Some days they just bite one more than other, what can you say. For me it's just about what style of fishing I'm feeling at the moment, and if something starts working I tend to stick with it.

Posted Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:37 pm

Whacky worm is a great way to go if you dont mind losen a few hooks and worms, you are crazy if you dont use a O ring around your worm! I learned a long time ago that once you get pasted the fact YOU are going to lose tackle, you do become a better fisherman.

Posted Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:03 pm

I personally go wacky 99% of the time. If i throw a worm deep into weeds i go Texas rigged. I do like the weedless hook idea and "o" rings but i don't bother.
I honestly think senkos are the best! But some days fish will bite another brand of stick bait (cheaper) and the cheaper ones last longer most of the time. When you fish wacky cast and let sink. You can work it by shaking,hopping ect. But most of the time fish hit on the fall or soon after it hits the bottom. Let the fish tell ya what they want that day i guess?

Posted Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:20 am

I fish both styles wacky and texas rigged I have caught more fish on wacky style I have to admit

Posted Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:04 am

Thanks for all the great input guys!

Posted Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:24 am

I'll go weightless 90% of the time using Senkos, worms and lizards, as another poster mentioned I also use the hook and bait size to control the drop.

Posted Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:03 am

bcodkind

Absolutely Senko! But wacky? Weightless? Texas? and how do you decide?

Personal experience shall be your guide. One person may say X because in conditions Y he caught Larry with X, but another person caught Larry in similar conditions with Z.

Generally though each lure has it's own characteristics is how I look at it.

Texas is the fastest moving way I have rigged a senko because when you finesse it, it covers a lot of water with it's swoops, dips, and swirls.

Wacky weighted as in wacky jigging covers a deep vertical column on a slight angle as you twitch it to life during the drop. So it's good for when I'm in wind or deep water and I don't have the time or stability to WAIT for a weightless to sink. It's medium speed of the three.

Wacky weightless (just a hooK) is the slowest. The challenge is that while it sinks you cannot impart any action w/o creating horizontal travel. The benefit is you can really impart some terrific action while covering a lot of water by lifting, twitching...dragging then let fall. Keeps you in the strike zone longer and I feel the action imparted to the lure is more intense of all 3 techniques.

But experiment for yourself!

Posted Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:23 am

bcodkind

bassstinger

Haha, don't worry about me. I'm not a tourney fisherman (no boat.) I've gone almost exclusively texas rig, guess it's time to try wacky. What's the action/retrieve on that (assume weeds/lilly pads)

If you wacky in heavy cover like lily pads use a weedless hook with a strong weedless "wire" that runs from the hook eye to the barb. You know the kind that is stiff.

Anyway - a senko wacky weedless on the pads makes me think frog legs...hmmmm. Let the senko drop in the pad holes and hold it on a tight line...twitch it...drag it up on the pads...across the pads...let it sit on the pad and pluck the line with your hand - watch the pad bounce and move (make rings in the water)...then drop the senko off the side of the pad and let it fall...then twitch it back up. If this doesn't ferret out any bass from that lily-bed then I don't know what will! LOL

Posted Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:29 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links